Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Can someone with arachnophobia enjoy Southern India trip?

Sep 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

One of those questions that we are a little sheepish about asking, but would love some feedback on the spider/insect situation in Southern India. One in our party has a true phobia of spiders. We have traveled all over the world (Africa and SE Asia included), and had a wonderful trip in Northern India last year. No real spider problems.

Given the warmer climate, we wonder if spiders/insects are a bigger issue when thinking about a trip in Southern India. Have folks who have visited (we'll be going in December) found spiders/insects in most hotel rooms, etc... or was this not a big problem? What about on the backwaters cruise in Kerala?

Thanks so much for any input on this sensitive but important issue!
Sep 11th, 2006, 11:38 PM

I've been to many parts of Kerala, Goa and most of the cities (and remote, tiny villages) in Tamil Nadu and can't really remember seeing an unusually large population of insects/spiders. I doubt you should have any real spider problems... Just take the usual precautions.
Sep 12th, 2006, 12:47 AM

Thats cute I totally sympathize with your phobia. Southern India doesnt have that many spiders as compared to any other tropical city. Are you staying in Deluxe accomodations? Then dont worry everything is outside your A/Ced room! Haha.. Ok the phobia I have and STILL to this day if I see a brown 4 inch thing on the wall shrink in fear is LIZARDS! I hate them despise them! They are tree lizards that are in every home in India!! Even rich people have them. When I was living in India as a student for a few years I put mosquito nets everywhere to avoid them but a few did get in. Ewww! The veins and slime gross me out. Shudder! Lizards belong in trees not homes people. Haha. Yea you wont have much problem with spiders dont worry.
Sep 14th, 2006, 07:59 AM

I also hate lizards in any form,too. Am thinking of maybe going to Bombay, but the lizard situation has concerned me. I'd rather come face to face with a tiger than a lizard. Gross. Smiles. HAppy Travels!
Sep 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Do lizard haters also hate geckoes? I always try and have a couple of geckoes in the bedroom to keep down the insect population!
Sep 15th, 2006, 05:40 PM

It might be an isolated incident. But last year on his business trip, my brother got bitten by a nasty spider in his swanky hotel room in Le Meridien hotel in Chennai. The spider was in his bed. Not sure how it got there. His leg got all swollen and had to be treated in a hospital.
Sep 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM

I HATE geckos. When I mentioned Lizards I meant geckos. With their slimey and veiney and fast movements. Eww..One time it fell on me. Gawd for me nothings worst. They keep out insects? Blah I heard that too and soem indians think its unlucky to kill them..blah. Get some anti-insect repellant instead or use mosquito nets for windows.
Sep 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM

I hate insects but I like lizards, geckos included. I think they're cute and they're harmless. The fact that they eat insects is a bonus. Anything that helps get rid of insects is okay in my book.