Ubud hotel-in town

Search

Ubud hotel-in town

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ubud hotel-in town

We're looking for an in town Ubud hotel for two nights. Any 4-star suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:23 AM

How much are you looking to spend, Andy? Also, is there a reason why you want to stay in town? Although there are plenty of nice places within Ubud proper, the surrounding countryside is gorgeous. Most of the hotels outside Ubud have shuttles that will take you into town - even if they don't, transport is relatively cheap.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM

Right in town, I woud pick Komaneka. But I'd prefer to stay out of town...beautiful surroundings but only a short ride into town if you wanted to have dinner in town somewhere. Ubud town itself is just a bunch of shops and restaurants catering to tourists. Much nicer outside of town. Transport no problem...most hotels have a shuttle either scheduled or on call or both, plus there are so many guys just hanging around waiting to drive you somewhere - "need transport?"

Just barely outside of town is the Uma...not exactly to our taste, but we met some friends there for drinks who had a great stay. Right across from Naughty Nuri's...great BBQ...and Mozaic if you wanted to eat there. Nice pool and gym area, too.

Marmot who posts here a lot likes the Alila...we had a look when it was still the Chedi, and it was not our style designwise, but it does have stunning views and a nice pool, and marmot highly recommends it and I would trust her.

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Take a look at Kajane Mua. Stayed there twice and recommend the middle range villa - comes with good sized very private pool. Staff was very nice, gave us rides to dinners and dance performances. Got a great massage on our private patio. Owned by the same family as the Komaneka, I'm told (it's right across the street on Monkey Forest Rd). Lots of other reviews of this place on Trip Advisor, if you're interested.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM

In town, the recommendation of Komaneka by Kim is an excellent one. I also agree with Craig and Kim that staying just outside of town is incredible. The town of Ubud is nice to wander around for shops, museums and restaurants but its appeal for me otherwise is not on the same level as Cambridge for instance.

The Royal Pita Maha situated on the Ayung River ($310 including tax and service)is very nice 4* close to town.
Putu Arnawa lives in the same village as the RPM and maybe can get you a even lower rate.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Believe me, we do not expect anywhere to be as charming as Cambridge. That's why we live here. Thanks for the replies.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:17 AM

I'm not so fond of the town of Ubud either, but agree that Komaneka and Uma Ubud are good choices. I also like Ketut's Place. Ketut's and Uma are on the opposite ends of the trendy and stylish scale, Ketut's being home-y and Uma being sleek. Komaneka's kind of in the middle. I've never actually stayed at any of the three but all get good reviews from friends.

I do like the Alila and have stayed there for over 10 years. It's a true resort with magnificent views, a splendid pool, good food, friendly service and excellent guides and activities.

I must say that over the years the architectural design has grown on me. It was designed by a prominent Australian architect and you either love it or hate it.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 01:01 AM

Now that you've been convinced to stay outside of town, take a look at the Maya Ubud - 10 minutes out of town, beautiful setting, nice pools. We had a pool villa when we stayed there but the rooms are nice too. Its on the sleek and trendy side so its not to everyone's tastes.

To take a quick look at the properties and to compare prices, go to www.balidiscovery.com

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 02:45 AM

Maya Ubud, spectacular hotel not very far from town center, perhaps a bit too far to walk. Go for a Pool Villa. The surroundings of this hotel is incredible, it has a river valley on each side. Service is great and breakfast buffet was outstanding. I liked this hotel much better than Alila.
Don't forget to have dinner at Lamak on Monkey Forrest Road.