Ubud Day Trips

Mar 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
sp9
Original Poster

Ubud Day Trips

I will be staying in Jimbaran Bay and want to find out if it's relatively easy to drive to Ubud and spend a couple of day trips there. I'm thinking of 2 day trips to Ubud to take in the culture, shopping, etc. Would appreciate any fb on this approach. Thx.
Mar 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM

You can get there in about an hour or hour and a half, depending on traffic. Shopping will be no problem to do on a day trip, but to "take in any culture" I think you've got to commit a bit more time. On the surface, Ubud is a shopping/restaurant area. To get into the culture, you really need to get to know some people, slow your pace down to theirs, maybe get your hands dirty.

Our best and most memorable learning experience was a village walk with a man who lived there...he talked the whole way about a huge variety of things like religeon, rice cultivation, family structure, why they have pigs out back, village government, security...on and on. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you. That one day changed Bali for us. We had been 10 years ago and done some day tours from Sanur, went up to Lovina, and mostly sunned and visited temples and swam. Last years trip was magic, and was because we got to know people, and did reeeeally get into the culture a bit.

There are plenty of artists...our daughter got to have painting lessons from a Keliki painter alongside the village children. Dance is excellent...our daughter also learned some dance from a performer we had seen the night before. I've always loved batik, so I spent 3 days learning to do it with a batik artist. For batik and textile arts, also be sure to visit the Threads of Life shop...they also do very good lectures. We all learned a bit of traditional music, and were lucky enough to get some practice in with the local women's gamelon group. I'm telling you,, our experience was soooo different than our previous visit 10 years ago.

If you have time for a couple of day trips, I'd recommend actually staying overnight for a couple of nights instead, even if it means paying for 2 hotels. You can stay really reasonably and have the kind of experience we did, or you can splurge, too. Up to you.
Mar 27th, 2006, 05:49 PM

i too stayed in the south and visited ubud area at least twice during that stay....it is easy to do....the town and its surroundings are quite spread out....you would want a car and driver to do it properly....

we used putu often spoken about on this site....he is fantastic....he lives in ubud..
Mar 28th, 2006, 02:41 AM

some few days ago, come to bali, i stayed Melia Hotel, not easy to find good driver and guide, then my friend recommend komang. he good english ,good driver. this email address : [email protected].
Mar 28th, 2006, 03:01 AM

I agree with Kim - unless you have booked a few nights package at the Ritz you should do 1 night in Ubud. We did that in 2003, 3 nights at the Ritz and 2 in Ubud. My driver is also very good -www.kooltoursbali.com
Mar 28th, 2006, 03:54 PM
sp9
Original Poster

Thanks all for your recommendations. Will take another look at staying 1 or 2 nts in Ubud. Cheers
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Hi
Rather than travel up a couple of times,I would hang the expense and throw in a couple of nights down south and definitely stay a couple of nights in Ubud. I have stayed there on 3 different occaisions now and the beauty of the place really cant be seen on a day trip.The fields that run parallel to the Campuhan river are a patchwork quilt of rice paddies and farms.A morning spent walking and you will encounter children herding ducks and geese squabbaling in the rice paddies for insects.Even the traditonal touristy areas like the Monkey forest are well worth the time.The Ubud central fruit and veg market is great (I think this is Wednesday mornings)But that incredible gorge into the river is a divine place to explore.You can see women washing clothes,kids swimming,people cutting up mangoes.Even the restaurants in town have something that the south seems to lack...that magic heady scent of frangipani,tuber rose and incense that thickens the air at night.It is cooler in the mountains at night too so evening meals are a pleasure...listening to the frogs and geckos and the sounds of the night.A couple of nights while walking home in Ubud we were often amazed by the flickering lights of fireflys.Early morning around 6am is also another magic time for a walk to watch the town wake up.Chooks,ducks,dogs....people washing,cooking and beginning for the day.There are many areas around Ubud to visit to and I cant remember the name of the place but there is one tiny village just out of Ubud where every evening at around 6pm literally thousands of large white birds come in to roost for the night. Why they choose this one tiny village is unknown but it really has to be seen to be believed and is worth the bus trip out.Go to Ubud...and stay...you will not be disappointed
ps the food is fresher and more fragrant...they seem to use more lemongrass,limejuice etc....treat yourself