Bali-What to See?

Dec 23rd, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Bali-What to See?

I am planning a trip to visit Bali in September of 2005. I will have 8-10 days. I would like recommendations on the best sites and areas to visit. I plan to hire a driver. We like to snorkel but I am more interested in the culture and country side.

Thank You,

Lucretia
Dec 23rd, 2004, 02:12 PM

please see my trip report at:
http://www.balitravelforum.com/archive200307/11747.html
for ideas.
Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:01 PM

My family and I love the areas around Ubud. We didn't like the seaside area that much but Ubud was a wonderful little town where the locals were very nice with lots of culture.

If you have 8 - 10 days I would spend at least half of that time around Ubud.
Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:25 PM

bali is not a big place so you should be able to see quite a bit of it....the culture is very interesting and your use of a driver will be reveal it....i suggest that you and the driver plan a "rough" layout of what you intend to do while there in advance of your arrival....i would highly reccomend putu who has been spoken of often here on this board...

each town and village and all the spots along the way will yield you interesting insights into this unique culture....the people are extremely religious and incorporate it into their everyday lives...

while the island is highly motivated by tourism it is not apparant on the surface which is refreshing...

the hotels all around the island are lovely and there are many to choose from---5 star to rooming houses....costs are comparatively inexpensive...

we spent 5 days in sanur in the south which we liked quite a bit because of the small town atmosphere and tourist services... we also spent a few days at the newly opened conrad hotel which was splendid...

we found ubud too busy for our liking, but of course is worthy of some time...much of the good shopping is in that area...

you will love your time there
Jan 31st, 2005, 05:40 AM

I am just back from Bali on a 7 day trip with my 2 girl friends. I would strongly recommend that you stay in Ubud for at least 3 nights. We really enjoyed out stay at Tegal Sari (www.tegalsari-ubud.com). Take the wooden room.

We had a very good driver, I Ketut Suarya. I gave him some idea of where we like to visit and our interests. He came out with very interesting suggestions. He is a safe driver and he speaks English. We had great fun going off-the-beaten track and interacting with the locals (eg we visited a village cock-fighting). His email [email protected], tel : 08123609899.
Jan 31st, 2005, 06:49 AM

Do check out Celuk, which is where the silver smiths are. DO NOT go to the stores on the main highway, they are tourist traps. go into the side streets and you can get much better deals and even see jewelry being made.

A great resource is Indonesia Handbook, from Moon Publications. It's the best guide on Indonesia by a long shot IMO.

You can get a driver easily, and they are cheap. It's been 20 years since I've been to Bali, but I think we spent $40.00 or maybe even less for a vehicle, driver and fuel for one day. Do shop around.
Jan 31st, 2005, 04:06 PM

One thing I enjoyed doing very much while in Bali last year was the cycling trip from Kintamani to Ubud.

This is a 3-4 hour affair which brings you through the local countryside into the little villages and interior areas less seen by tourists. We also passed lovely rice terraces and saw cock-fighting. The ride is mostly downhill so it's quite easy and a good way to get some exercise and fresh air.

Price was around 350,000 rupiah.