Thailand is Fine for Travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are frequent visitors to Phuket. Last year we were there 4 times.

We have just returned from almost 7 weeks in and around Phuket, surrounding islands and Southern Thailand. I would like to take this opportunity to urge anyone considering a holiday to Phuket/Thailand and anyone that may be reconsidering a trip to definitely go. The affected areas are only small parts and the clearing/reconstruction is progressing rapidly. Patong Beach shopping precinct has kind of moved back a street, but is fine and the shopping is at real bargain rates now.

Unfortunately many Thai workers at Hotels and Resorts are now being put on leave without pay or are working for 4 weeks but receiving only 3 weeks' pay. Tuk Tuk drivers are working entire shifts sometimes for 100baht. Families that already struggle to survive are now considering trying to move back to their home provinces as they can no longer survive in Phuket.

The plea from our Thai friends, their friends and the people we speak to, some of whom have lost loved ones is; "Thailand is ok, no problem, please come and bring your friends. We need tourist, otherwise like second tsunami."

We were staying on our boat up there which is how we travelled to the surrounding islands etc. I have read that dive and snorkelling charters have been cancelled, but I can assure you that we saw several each day at each destination, so they are still operating.

Thailand needs you. We had such a great time that we extended our stay. You will be glad you went - for many reasons.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Hello, I was just reading our local paper, and they said there was a major concern on the "Bird Flu" pandemic issue. Has anyone read or have seen such a major issue in northern or southern Thailand. We are due to go to northern Thailand in several weeks, and would like to be well informed. Any information or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:09 AM

http://eng.moph.go.th/ContentDetails...rgID=001002002

I believe the situation is not as serious as reported by the media because I live in Southeast Asia. The main danger goes to people who come into contact with live poultry like farmers. If you're worried, just don't eat chicken.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Thank you, akiace. That was our gut feeling. As vegetarians, avoiding chicken isn't a problem! Thank you for the link. It will reassure our families.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:35 PM
emd

The Washington Post travel section has a front page story on the conditions in Phuket today. The story emphasizes that Phuket did not have the extent of damage that Indonesia had and that things are back to normal for the most part in Phuket. The article is online at washingtonpost.com. You have to register, but registration is free.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:55 AM

There was the talk of bird flu when I was there just in August 2004. The hotel that I stayed at had a sign up in the breakfast buffet line that all eggs would be cooked well done. That was about the extent of the bird flu talk. I, too, am vegetarian, but in Thailand, as in many other places in the world, sometimes if you order something that might appear to be vegetarian, there might be chicken/meat stock used. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:50 AM

As has been said many times, the only areas affected in Thailand were in the South West and then only certain places. Even on Phuket Karon Beach was virtually unscathed ( due to a very wide beach plus a large grass area and a grass 'gully' between the sea and the beach road ). Other areas of Thailand from the point of view of travel and accommodation were not affected one bit, except that places on the Gulf Coast and the Gulf Islands have been far busier than normal for this time of year, in fact Koh Samui, Hua Hin and Pattaya are 'packed', and with the Chinese New Year coming up there are certainly plenty of tourist and travelers around. Although arrivals at Bangkok did 'dip' numbers are increasing and for the period early in the New year people just shifted from the affected areas to other places. 80% plus of all Phuket hotels were not damaged at all, and daily the number of those that had damage being fully operational once again increases.

If you are interested in Phuket updates an excellent source is Phuket gazette which is the English language publication on the island and their website contains a great deal of daily updated information

www.phuketgazette.net
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:53 AM

Tina, am guessing you are from Perth, it appears Thai has pulled their direct Perth-Phuket flights, maybe you should have a go at them in Perth for it, every but helps! I don't know why they just couldn't keep them running and perhaps throw in some absolute bargain fares, it would have helped.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:51 PM

To: JamesA

Is In on the Beach OK? We hoped it would survive the waves because of its distance from the beach. Not thinking of returning there as Koh Samui's won our hearts, but would be glad to know it is still there!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi JamesA, we can never get a direct flight to Phuket from Perth. We either have to go to Singapore or Bangkok. It seems crazy, but I suppose not that much of an imposition as the stopover is only a couple of hours, time to sit in the airport lounge and have a few drinks or do some shopping. It would be great to have direct flights though.