Book ahead or on arrival? SE Asia

Mar 26th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Book ahead or on arrival? SE Asia

Hi,There are some amazing websites to book accomodation online but I was wondering if better deals can be had on arrival in that country?We are visiting Laos,Cambodia and Vietnam
Many thanks
Mar 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Always better rates in advance, and in general online rates are better than those you get at your local agents...especially for high end accommodations
Mar 27th, 2006, 01:49 AM

Of course, if you book online, the rate is often cheaper than the walk-in rate. The problem is that you are dealing with a reliable agent or not. So be careful.
Mar 27th, 2006, 05:52 AM

one advantage of the booking ahead on the discount sites is that tax/service and sometimes breakfast is included in the price...

one caution....make sure before booking that these are the exact bookings you want as there have been many stories of people have trouble with changes and refunds

i prefer the www.huahin.20m.com site
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM

I booked ahead for my trip to Vietnam but met many people who did not and they found good rooms for very cheap costs, especially in the middle part of the country (Hue, Hoi An). There are plenty of travel agencies. I guess it depends on how picky you are i.e "have to stay in a 3 1/2 to 5 star hotel" or if a good 2-3 star will do. I think it is always good to book your first night in a large city but I am getting to the point that I want flexibility. I guess it depends on how you travel ??
Mar 28th, 2006, 06:02 PM

Agree absolutely with subway_s. I usually try to book first night in a big city I have never visited before. Otherwise prefer the flexibility of being able to stay somewhere longer if the fancy takes me without the hassle of cancelling a future booking I no longer require. Making a booking is easy - English is the language of the net. But cancelling one in a country where you don't speak the language can be tricky/time consuming (find that internet kaff!!).

But I guess a lot depends on the sort of place you like to stay. Rack rate for upmarket hotels is expensive and you get a better deal on line, and reception staff will speak English if you need to cancel by phone. More modest accommodation probably won't have a website anyway, but can be just wonderful and great value. It can take time to find, though. I recently spent 2 weeks in Laos without arranging anything in advance.

Pluses and minuses! have a great trip.