Typhoid shot

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Kathleen

Typhoid shot

Did anyone get typhoid shot when they went to Thailand?

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 10:09 PM
C

I took a series of pills for typhoid when I went to China. I had no reaction and the vaccine is supposed to last for 5 years.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 05:42 AM
fran

Im suppose to go next week and I did take thypoid and hepatitis A

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 07:33 AM
taurus

We are going(I hope) in a few weeks to Hong Kong and Thailand and we are not getting shots. Thai gov. does not require them. Health dept. recommends them but does not require.If you are going on a tour, it is safe where they take you. Do not eat food from stands on the streets. Do you still plan on making the trip??? We are so confused and do not know what to do or have safe it will be. Are you going on a tour??

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Kathie

I do a lot of travel in Asia and I always keep my immunizations up to date. While no immunizations are required for Thailand, it is recommended that you have the following: diptheria&tetnaus, polio, hepatitis A (the vaccine is now good for 10 years), thyphoid (also good for 10 years).

Saying it is safe where tours take you is kind of a gamble. Given the ways in which hep A and thyphoid are spread, there isn't any way a tour company can guarantee your safety from these diseases. It's a personal decision as to whether to get immunized. If you choose not to, you run the risk of your own illness and of becoming a carrier for spreading the disease to others as well.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 05:56 PM
fran

I agree with everything Kathie said. Better safe than sorry. You cant be guaranteed of anything in Thailand. You need bottled water even to brush your teeth. I was not going on a tour. We were in 5 star hotels and I stil took all the shots. I probably will not go.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Kathie

Fran, are you thinking of canceling out because of the terrorism incident? That's obviously a very personal decision, but I have to say I consider Thailand very safe. I'm heading for Asia in December. So far, I haven't seen any reson to cancel my trip.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Kathleen

Yes, My mom and I are still going. WE are going on a tour in November. Unless they cancel it we are still planning on going.
I got a tetanus shot and my Hep A shot.
And I will pick up my prescription of malaria pills to take.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 08:09 PM
taurus

Replying to Kathie - I realize you have traveled many times to Asia - as I see you have replied to many questions in the past - but as you say it is a personal decision - I have had many many friends and family who have traveled to Thailand and they did not feel it necessary to have shots and I do not. I am happy to hear that it is safe and you feel there is no need to cancel - we are going the end of October and hope we will be able to make the trip. My concern is how safe will it be to fly. I have a domestic flight to San Fran and San Fran to Hongkong.