Travel advisory

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Shelley Ram

Travel advisory

We were planning a trip to thailand, Nepal, Burma and Laos before the events of September 11. Do you think the are is still safe especially Nepal which is not too far from many of the enemy countries? Any suggestions?

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Pas14

None of the countries mentioned are involved in the conflict and Nepal is well isolated from possible areas of activity. South-East Asia is operating normally. There probably has never been a safer time to travel from the U.S. as security is so tight.

Every cancellation of a trip, though understandable, is one more victory for the terrorists. Their objective is to disrupt our way of life.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Canadian

Just a note
On the Frommer newsletter they said that Djoser was watching carefully the situation in Katmandu as there had been demonstrations in the streets there.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Kathie

The concern about Nepal stems from the murder of the royal family in June. There have been Maoist terrorists operating in the rural countryside of Nepal for many years. Many were concerned that the murder of the Royal family would destabilize the government and make the Maoists more active. While I would monitor the situation there if I were you, my understanding is that things are pretty calm in Nepal right now. Anyone just back from Nepal with first-hand knowledge?

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 02:28 PM
John G

I just returned from Nepal and it is a world away from Afghanistan or Pakistan. The Nepalese are Hindu, and hate Muslims. You should not have any problem there. The Nepalese are very passive people and love Americans. Bring along some small gifts like inkpens and tennis balls to give to the children. Have a good time. JG

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Shelley Ram

Thank you for your help. I will make my reservations. Now the only obstacle to overcome is my fear of flying!