Two Days In Shanghai

Search

Two Days In Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Days In Shanghai

My husband and I will be taking our two boys, ages 16 and 20 to Shanghai at the end of August. This will be our first trip to Shanghai and would like suggestions on what to do for the two days we will be there that will also be enjoyable for the boys. They don't have much patience for sightseeing, they do like to shop--are there "teen" oriented activities or sites they can visit?
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Lia

If they like to shop, then maybe they would enjoy the local street markets. Yuyuan Garden and the Old Street area offer a lot of shops, restaurants and sometimes an outdoor "show" in the central square.

The Bird & Flower market can be interesting also.

You might want to check a local website like www.shanghaidaily.com to see what else is going on in town.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lia for the tip and the site info. I'll check it out.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Another shopping area is the pedestrian only Nanjing Road East that stretches from the People's Square to The Bund, there is a large outdoor stage with hip performances.

It's nice of you to focus on the kids' interests, do you really want to spend your 2 days on shopping only? Here are some other suggestions.

Daytime: The Bund Sightseeing Tunnel, Shanghai Museum, City Planning Museum, Science & Technology Centre, Ocean Aquarium, Oriental Pearl Tower, Xintiandi. One evening could be spent on a river cruise and the other at an acrobat show.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:13 AM

If I were planning this I'd probably...

1. Take the maglev from the airport to the terminus. You're still far from downtown so you'd need to take a non-burgundy or non-dark blue taxi (preferably turquoise) to your hotel.

2. My nephews 16 and 11 LOVED shopping in YuYuan. I can't think of a time when we didn't take a visitor there twice upon their request and they were no exception. Bargaining is fun. Food is good. Can rest and have a tea ceremony (not a scam one!) for about 40rmb/person on the first/entrance floor of the Huxinting Tea House with the zigzag bridge near the entrance to the Garden. Upstairs in the teahouse is a la carte so it's more expensive and no ceremony. The Temple of the Town God "ChengHuang Miao" (God of money no less) is a block away at 218 Anren Street (which is basically on the same street as Shanghai Old Street.)

3. LuPu bridge climb. (ShanghaiClimb.com) I don't think I've seen this activity posted on Fodors before. We did the bridge climb earlier this year. Can see the site of the 2010 World Expo as it's being developed, the city, river activity... Entrance is under the bridge on the Puxi side. When we did it in March we were amused by the signs posted at the construction site on our right as we left. PSAs depicting not spitting or killing chickens by swinging them over your head.

4. Could visit the Pearl Tower then walk toward the river where you'll see the entrance to the Bund Sightseeing Tour. Can get a ticket for the Tour as well as the Sex Museum or another museum I can't recall. The ones we've taken there have found it weirdly interesting. The Bund Sightseeing tour takes you to the other side of the river. Can get out there and walk on the Bund to take photos and fend off touts. Some guidebooks have walking tours along the Bund that explain interesting things about many of the buildings.

5. Lane 210 Taikang Lu/Sinan Lu I think is still called the "art district". It's a nice place to stop for a coffee or a light lunch and shopping in boutiques. It's an up and coming tourist area. Unfortunately they demolished the wet market across the street which was another shocking place for a westerner to visit.

6. DongTai Lu for "antiques" shopping. (I always told people to ask for the "fake" stuff because they'll try to sell you "very old ___ Dynasty" things. Of course they were made recently and buried for awhile so they'd rust and look old.) In the area there are usually some old-timers playing cards, people doing their laundry and the like.

7. XinTianDi is good for people watching and dining. There are cute shops there too.

8. If you like Japanese food you may want to consider going to Shintori (803 Julu Lu/Fumin Lu). It's a very cool place. The cod with some sort of bean is fabulous. Afterward go out the alley and go to the left one door (805 Julu Lu) for a drink. It's called People and it's a unique place. There's a trick entrance door that you need to figure out to get in. We always giggled as we sent people to the bathrooms because they're hard to figure out. I recommend it. People has a great lunch special too if you prefer that instead.

9. Dinner on the Bund is a must. I personally prefer Laris over M on the Bund, but neither will disappoint. M has a great balcony.

10. Acrobat show and river cruise (choose the shortest as it gets monotonous) are good ideas.

Your kids will be served alcoholic drinks if you'll let them. Having a beer with the parents would be something they'd remember. =)

Have fun!
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM

What an exciting trip...I'm interested in Shanghai, too, though I've never been myself. I've been using a site called Tripfilms to plan my recent getaways, and have found that videos are a great way to preview activities before you go...so that's one option for scouting out things to do for your kids!

http://www.tripfilms.com/Tourism-l62...el_Videos.html
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM

we just returned from shanghai. Your boys would love the elevator to the top of the new Hyatt! It is an amazing view-much better than the pearl tower in our minds!! also the jade budda temple and the Confusius temple might be interesting to them. Other than that, just the architecture of shanghai and definitely the river cruise where you get a perspective for the old city vs. the new. It was extremely hot and humid and will be more so at the end of august. We took private tours booked thru hotel to suzhou and the water village-neat but i am not sure the boys would go for it!

have fun-an amazing part of the world.