Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to eat lunch & what to see in Flagstaff, Amarillo, & Little Rock?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM
kdm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't how I posted this message before but it did not show up under the states AR, AZ or TX. So here I go again.....During our trek from CA to TN my daughter, 2 yr old grandchild and I are in need of suggestions of some local favorite spots for lunch in these cities. Also, is there anything we can see or do during our 2 hour walking breaks? We are traveling the first part of June, just in case there are seasonal events taking place during that time. Thank you for any assistance you can provide. These stops appear to be midway between our hotel stops so that is why I selected these cities, so I am open to other hwy 40 stops. Thx as always Karen

Old May 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM

In Little Rock you can tour the Clinton Presidential Library, take in the River Market, and the Museum of Discovery. The Flying Fish in the River Market district is always busy, and gets good reviews, but I have never eaten there. There are several restaurants in the Ottenheimer Hall, which is the actual enclosed market area. You will find many good local restaurants in the downtown/Markham/Cantrell area. If you'll post your preferences for dining options, the recs. for restaurants will better meet your needs. Hope this helps!!!
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM

I'm from North Little Rock, and have a couple suggestions. My fav place to go in downtown LR is the River Market, right on the Ark River. It's a big enclosed pavilion with lots of cheap, casual food choices. You get what you want and eat inside at a cafe table or outside overlooking the river. My fav place is the Greek/Mediterranean food place (there's also Mexican, BBQ, bakeries, fish, etc.). Outside is the Riverwalk if you want a post-lunch stroll; there is a also a playground. This place is only open at lunch. Nearby, in the same general area is a local fav, The Flying Fish. Again, casual, cheap...good fried fish. My fav NLR place is Gadwall's Grill, also cheap and casual, but a step up from the previous two places. This is located off of JFK Blvd/Hwy 107. You could search for any of these places to find addresses.

A nice place to see in NLR is the Old Mill. It's off McCain Blvd, in a nice residential area. It's basically...an old mill...but it's neat and has fountains and a lake, and it's claim to fame is that it was featured in "Gone with the Wind." This is also really close to Gadwall's, so that would make a nice afternoon. There are other lakes near here too, so you could just explore. Have fun!
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:13 PM

The famous stop in Amarillo is the Big Texan. You don't need to challenge the five pound serving to enjoy a visit to a very Texas, western and good restaurant.
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM

All of the resturants mentioned for Little Rock by the previous posters are terrific. The Museum may be little boring for a 2 year old but the River Market would be a nice break. And if want to travel down the road just a little, look up the Buffalo Grill off of West Markham. My daughter has been raised on their cheese dip and chips since before she had teeth! Have fun in Arkansas!
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Lunch in Flagstaff: Buster's. Not far from where I-17 and I-40 cross. About half a mile north.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:31 AM

If you are looking for a tourist stop, the Big Texan is it, but really is not an authentic Amarillo restaurant. I live here, and the only people who go there are out of towners. If you're looking for a casual spot that both you and your grandaughter would enjoy, stop at Blue Sky. It has the best burgers, chicken sandwiches, salads, and milkshakes. It's locally owned and delicious. It has a good deck for eating and a nice sandbox/play area for your grandchild. Will be nice for the grandchild to have some stretch/playtime after being in a car for so long and a nice place for you to enjoy the sun and take a break, too. It's right off of I-40 at the Western exit (south side of interstate). Here's a map and a couple of reviews: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...23186930191733.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:28 AM

I realize that you are asking for two hours in each location but let me suggest an overnight in Amarillo to see the outdoor drama "TEXAS" in Palo Duro Canyon. The best outdoor play to my mind in the country. We went twice and would do it again if we were driving through Amarillo.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:29 PM
kdm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your replies. I have made my notes and starting to feel like I am getting closer....Planning like this is like taking two trips - the prelimary and the actual Thx again, Karen
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM

For your Flagstaff stop, you might enjoy walking around our historic downtown. There are several good lunch spots, parking is available, and it's not far from the I-40/I-17 interchange. Just get off I-40 onto Milton Road heading north toward downtown (don't get on I-17 South). Downtown is a few miles up Milton Road. You'll eventually pass under the railroad overpass where the road becomes historic Route 66. Downtown will be immediately on your left (north). At the heart of downtown is Heritage Square. There are a number of reasonably priced, good restaurants in this area, plus a Cold Stone Creamery right on the square. Charley's in the historic Weatherford Hotel is nice; Mountain Oasis is popular with locals. There's a Pita Pit where you can get pita sandwiches and eat out on the square.

Hope this helps - enjoy your trip!
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM
kdm
Original Poster

Thx CleoB, Mountain Oasis looks good. I think I am going to try the Pita Pit here in CA since I like pita pockets. Wish I had more time to spend in some of these cities, especially since I will miss out on the River Market beacuse it looks like they are closed on Sunday. Thx again for this info I really appreciate it.