trip planning dilemna

Search

trip planning dilemna

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trip planning dilemna

Will be going to Thailand Nov 4 -15. Arriving very late(almost midnight) on the 4th and leaving at 10:30 pm on the 15th.

Apart from the sights in Bangkok (at least I think I can manage to prioritize my preferences in Bangkok), I would like to visit Amphawa floating market and that area.

However, I am having a dickens of a time deciding on the rest of the trip itinerary.

Ayutthaya, areas of Isaan (especially to see the silk process), a safe trip on the mekong, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, etc etc. I also read about a town on the eastern gulf coast.

Rice production, orchid farms, the elephant conservation efforts, the making of spring roll wrappers (saw pictures of them drying on bamboo screens) interest me.

I enjoy visitng areas that aren't on the bus tour circuit. Am intrigued by the possibility of a homestay near the Amphawa area.

Any advice. Apologies for the very long post. Thanks.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:26 PM

You have basically 10 days in Thailand. Slow down and enjoy the time you have. There is no way you can do all of the things you list in such a short time. I'd say choose two locations, Given your interests, I'd suggest Bangkok and a location in Northern Thailand.

From Bangkok, you can take a day trip to Ayutthaya. In Northern Thailand, you can base yourself in one place and take day trips, or do a loop through several places staying on or two nights each place.

Many of the things you list you will encounter along the way.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the reply and advice.

I realize I can't do all of these things in the time I have, thus my dilemna.

These are items of interest to me. I am trying to map out an itinerary that will allow me to minimize the time travelling, be able to enjoy the country/culture, and see the areas of interest.

Need to do a bit more research it seems.

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM

get a good generalized guidebook and that will help a lot....i find it much easier than web sites for initial planning...and understanding
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:20 AM

I agree, people say guide books can be out of date but at least they have the basics to work from and maps, so that when we mention places you can spot them on the map.
You can certainly get off the beaten track but as a first visit I would prioritize and perhaps can sort out places where you can see/do as much as possible within that limited time.
If you only have those days I would priotize what you would like to see and do. No doubt you will return again.
You don't want to eat up time in too much travel. Domestic flights are easy and cheap but even with a short flight you can end up wasting pretty much the day.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

I am sorry, I am not communicating very well it seems.

I have four guidebooks (fodors, rough guide, frommers, national geographic). I have found when planning trips that each book has a different slant, that you can find common themes, or find entirely different information.

I am not a novice planner. I have planned trips for 10 to costa rica and the british virgin islands, been to Iceland on the spur of the moment, and planned girls and family trips to Paris.

My many interests for what to see in Thailand were derived from my readings in these books and internet research.

And recently had a great trip in Argentina for two planned in the same way. So it is a new thing for me to feel flummoxed in planning.

What I need is specific assistance in how to weave together some of my interests into an itinerary. I felt as if I needed more specific local information to do this.

Perhaps I need to contact some of the guides for this assistance?

Thanks to all for the suggestions and responses.

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:37 AM

I suggest that you plan your trip with only two Thai locations. This will prevent wasting precious time travelling. Each change in location uses up at leat 1/2 day. With four guide books, you already have been exposed to the primary sights/activities. I would pick one location to add to BKK. I would not do a beach (they are beautiful, but just beach. Nothing Thai). For example, you could do 3 days in BKK, 5 days in the North and 2 days BKK. In the North, you could do Chiang Mai and then choose between Chiang Rai ( a 3 hour drive) or Mae Hong Son ( a short hop of a flight or an entertaining twising drive). This would give a good overview. However, if you wanmt to see Isaan, you could fly up there and wander around. It is very untouristy. My brither went there and loved it.

Again, I would choose two spots and focus on them. Save the other stuff for later trips.