Traveling with 19yrold son BKK

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has been wonderful helping to put together our trip in July. Our 16 year old will be a a teen tour for 17days and then we will meet up with him and do Hua Hin as a family of 5. The 10 days befor my son 19 and daughter 14 and by husband and I will explore Bangkok and Chang Mai. Whenever we traveled in Europe my son was always comfortable spending time exploring some on his own near the hotel. Has anyone delt with teenagers, well he has already spen a year away at college so he is even falling away from that teenager role. But I am beginning to wonder if I am making a mistake bringing him. Are the sex areas away from the main hotels?
Karen
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:53 AM

where are you staying?....

the sex industly is everywhere in thailand and asia in general but the thing too look out for is western oriented establishments.

I kind of feel sorry for the guy. he will be in what is considered heaven for young males. but he's travaling with the famaly.. if he wishes too do something that wont make mom blush I could suggest some venues.
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Royal Orchid in BKK and the Sheraton in Chang Mai in Hua Hin we are at the Hyatt. He says he is not interested sex there (Dad brought it up) So I won't take your suggestions. He is more interested in what the drinking age is? Gee maybe that could be the novelty...we could order a beer together.
Karen
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:58 PM

your hotels are all out of the normal "sex" areas...but....in thailand nothing is really out of the sex areas...not to worry....i suggest that your husband have just one more converstaion with him about the extreme danger of thailand sex....HIV/AIDS is at its worst in bkk....NO is the only answer there...looking is not a problem, i.e. a trip to patpong for all of you.....or a transvestite show....

drinking...now thats another question...i think he will find it just like europe...he will be in "his element"....i'm not sure they even think about age appropriate drinking, although i'm sure there is a rule or law...

he should be warned about cleanliness however...dishwashing varries by location and ice is a total no no anyplace....even in the sheraton, hyatt, etc---they may tell you it is ok, but don't chance it....not even once...stick to bottled beer....

i think i have been negetive enough...you all will have a wonderful trip and will not be concerned with this type of situation if you follow a few rules....better not call them rules for a 16 or 19 year old...

you may all be overcome with the heat so no one will have energy for anything but swimming and sightseeing....take a/c taxis everyplace...
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Hi Karen,

Don't worry both the hotels you've mentioned are not in the red light district. Your son might get solicited by taxi drivers offering to take him to the red light district and such but if he's not interested then that shouldn't be a problem.

Drinking age in Thailand is officially 18 years old and above. A good place for the whole family to drink and eat plus live music in Chiang Mai is the "Good View Restaurant". It is situated on the river not too far from your hotel. Reservation is a must, the hotel can do that for you and the food is Northern Thai with an international menu. Draft, bottle beers and wines along with a full bar. I think you and your family will enjoy the atmosphere there.

Have fun!
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:53 PM

You are staying at lovely places. I always stay at the Royal Orchid in Bangkok and I've stayed at the Hyatt at Hua Hin. The Royal Orchid is right on the river, and you'll all enjoy taking the water taxis or hiring a long-tail boat. The Royal Orchid has two swimming pools. One is right in the full sun, the other is down the stairs and into a nice garden area with both sun and shade and a swim-up bar.

Bob and I agree on lots of things, but I have to say that the ice at the Hyatt and Sheratons is safe. Indeed, most of the ice in Bangkok is machine-made with purified water. I'm very cautious about what I eat, I've never gotten sick in 20+ years of traveling to SE Asia, but I do have ice in 5* hotels.

The Hyatt at Hua Hin is beautiful. Let me suggest you consider a day or a half day at the Chiva Som - voted the best destination spa in the world. It's a 5 minute walk down the beach from the Hyatt.
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:05 PM

ok kathie, so you looked over my shoulder on our last trip and saw me finally drink some table water with ice at the peninsula and other places... but i still take the lettuce out of sandwiches at mcdonalds in bkk...

if the water is safe then i do not understand why all the hotels provide you with bottled water in the bathroom of your hotel??? there must be some question....when we first stayed at the marriott there was a sign telling us to use the bottled water and not the tap water... the next times when we have been there there is no sign...i'm leary....

i have heard of so many stomach problems during vacations, that we just make it a rule not to do it...even if we had a lapse the last time....we'll see about this may and june....

in the meantime those teen-agers should probably use the no no never rule!!! IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion)...
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:21 PM

hold up.. I wasn't going too suggest anything naughty... "WONT make mom blush"... I ment dance clubs. movie theaters. ice skating rinks, bowling. good wholsom family values, activities..

as long as he looks like a farang and not like a 10 year old one he wont be carded,

thankfully my ultra cathlic mother did have some street sence from growing up in a third world country and waurned me too wrap it up and be carefull of transexuals.

honestly there are some tips I can give him too be safe and still have some fun but I kind of feel wierd explaining them threw his Mother.

But seriously the most biutifull female he will see most likely will not have been one for that long,.
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:00 AM

Bob, I agree that the tap water should not be drunk. (Although some will say that it is safe in 5* places). The difference is that the machine-made ice isn't made from tap water - it's made from purified water.
Old May 8th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Communication is the key and Dad will indeed have that talk.
As far as water...I have experienced the worst infection coming home from our honeymoon 5* that put me in the hospital. So I will go with the bottled water. We are from LA so even my 14yr old goes to school each day with bottled water. (which she refills from our home purification system)
Thanks again
Karen