Traveling 3 weeks, what luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We prefer to travel light. We'd rather do laundry or have it done that take a huge wardrobe with us. We're very casual anyway -- we don't dress up unless we "have to".

Out trip to Asia will be 3 solid weeks -- Hanoi, Hue, HoiAn, Saigon, Siem Reap and Hong Kong. Except for the fact that Hong Kong will be much cooler temps, I assume I'll be living in shorts, sundresses and flip-flops. If anyone out there is similar in "style", what kind/size luggage do you use for a trip like this?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM

If you plan to fly Air Asia, take a look at their website first before you buy. I had to get a new carry-on because what I had was too big. At the end, I bought a Tumi, the wheels were superb and smooth, so worth it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

I prefer cheap luggage, so Tumi is out, but I will look at the "internal" flights. We're flying Asiana and Air Nippon internationally, Vietnam Air within Vietnam and to Siem Reap (although it's actually a different carrier name), and Air Asia from Siem Reap to Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong. Thanks for the head's up.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 11:22 AM

One thing to be aware of in SE Asia is that the people there dress modestly. Shorts, tank tops are considered beach wear, not something to wear around the city. Long shorts are getting more acceptable, but you'll need knees and shoulders covered to enter wats.

We usually take an extra (empty) suitcase with us for shopping. Our primary luggage is a medium sized rolling suitcase each.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie -- I wasn't aware of that, and like to be respectful (when we went to Egypt a couple of years ago, I wore capris and a t-shirt except at the pool). Do I need to cover my shoulders in the city (if I'm wearing a dress, for example)?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM

If you are planning to visit wats you do need to cover your shoulders.

Another thing to consider is that shopping malls and fancy restaurants in places like Bangkok can feel absolutely frigid. You may want to bring a pashima or a light sweater along.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM

My husband and I each travel with one 22" suitcase and a backpack. You'd be surprised how many change of clothing I was able to pack. If you have any clothing you want to get rid of, you can wear them and throw them (or give them) away as you go along to make room for any items you may want to purchase. In Thailand, VN and Cambodia I wore capris and short sleeved shirts. I like sleeveless, but thought it was best to protect my shoulders from the sun. On occasion, I also wore sleeveless shirts when in Siem Reap. I personally like a pair of sturdy sneakers.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 12:30 PM

I see lots of folks in longer (not below the knee) shorts and flip flops in Bangkok. I know you are not going there, but I personally am like you. I don't dress up unless I 'have to' and I live in flip flops (Fitflops, actually) and just above the knee shorts and t-shirts in Bangkok. I've done all the touring I intend to do, as I've made 21 trips to BKK already. Now, I'm there to see friends, relax, and shop. I used to pack capris and light weight cotton (gauze) blouses, maybe a skirt, and some long lightweight 'jeans' but don't really need them that much anymore. I love packing light for SEAsia, and my apartment hotel has a washing machine in the kitchen. I use it every other day or so.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 11:35 PM

I go to Southeast Asia with two, 24-inch, Kipling, Las Vegas, wheeled suitcases that I check in.

Then I take, as a carry-on, either one 18-inch, Kipling, Brixen, wheeled suitcase or one 22-inch, Kipling, New York, wheeled, suitcase.

I, like Simpson510, rent a serviced apartment, so I take along my traveling kitchen items and I love buying new kitchen items thus needing more luggage space. Simpson510 and I are both in Bangkok and are shoppers.

Plus, I do other shopping and and have my clothes custom made. I go down to the garment district in L.A. and into Michael Levine fabrics and buy my yards and yards of fabrics and then pack them in the suitcase and take them along to the company that does my custom made clothes. So, I need the extra luggage for bringing back things. I do inventory, at home, and make a list of items to bring back.

For you, I'd recommend a 24-inch, Kipling, Las Vegas suitcase to check in and then take an 18-inch, Kipling Brixen suitcase on the plane as a carry-on. The 18-inch one fits in the overhead either on its side and vertical or on its back and vertical. So, if the overhead bends are getting stuffed, it's easy to squeeze it in. In the carry-on I pack clothing necessities in case the checked luggage doesn't arrive. But, to S.E. Asia; Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia, I haven't had any lost luggage that I can remember over the last 12 years of flying there almost annually.

I also always take along an extra set of TSA locks in case a piece of luggage arrives without a lock. A few years ago, it arrived without the lock and they cost double in S.E. Asia of what they cost here and they're around $9.99 here per lock. I always lock my luggage. I've seen a lot of folks' suitcase items on the carrousels as luggage has come open.

www.kipling-usa.com

There are Kipling outlets. We have one in Cabazon at the Desert Hills Outlet, 30 minutes west of Palm Springs. There is probably one up in S.F. area somewhere if there is one of those huge outlet shopping centers. I think the Kipling outlet will mail items. Kipling luggage is light and very durable. I've bought it regularly since the 80s, I think it was, when it came out in Belgium. I have dragged it through Asia,Africa,Europe, South America, and North America. It didn't go with me to Australia and N.Z. as I tried out some other luggage on that trip. Plus, it comes in a variety of colors and patterns making it easier to spot one's luggage coming down the carrousels. And they are crazed about Kipling in S.E. Asia. There are stores there,too although it's cheaper here. But, they have some styles that we don't get and some wheeled suitcase sizes smaller than our smallest which is 17 inches.

As for clothing, dress modestly in the region. And as Kathie mentioned, the air conditioning can be at arctic frost temperatures, so bring something to throw on to keep warm. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 11:46 PM

sf7307: Since you're into clothing, take a look at www.britishindia.asia. These are the clothes that I've been buying for probably a decade. I first bought them regularly in Singapore and then in Bangkok when Bangkok got it's own store instead of small sections in large department stores. But, it's in that style that I dress when I'm in the region; especially when I'm going out in the evening. It's effortless dressing that looks nice. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 11:55 PM

we are in hanoi right now... we each have a softsided 22" rollie which we check and an 18" carryon rollie. we flew from bkk with vietnam air no problem... we will have two internal vn air flts and do not anticipate any problems.. we fly back to bkk on air asia and do not expect problems with them either because we make sure our checked luggage weighs less than 20 kilos--we paid extra when booking our tickets for extra weight...

our trip is 5 weeks and we use laundries all along the way--both hotel and street laundries (very cheap)... we also sometimes bring along old undies and throw them away instead of washing them...
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 05:26 AM

Currently in Bali. We bought new Eddie Bauer bags for the trip and have been very pleased. The bags have a hard bottom side compartment about 8 inches in thickness with a soft duffle style top. Comes in 3 sizes, including one suitable for carryone.

We chose the middle size, which is called the LARGE size. Have taken 8 flights here in Asia and there has been little wear and the bags are easily identified on the carosels.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Having travelled to many of the places you mentioned, I would suggest these bags (I don't have any financial relationship with these folks)

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...ductid=1370035

which we absolutely love. Here is what we loved about them: 1) they are light weight so if you are doing any internal traveling on Air Asia or Jetstar which requires extra $ depending on luggage weight, these are great. 2) Some places are very crowded and have bad bumpy pavement or streets, so a rolling bag can just be annoying - being able to throw it on our backs came in handy. 3) They hold the same amount as a regular rolling carry on - we got two weeks worth of clothes in them (even some heavy stuff) 4) The backpack arms straps tuck away, so if you check in to a very nice hotel - they look like regular bags and you will look less like backpackers. 5) It acts like a regular suitcase instead of a large top-loading backpack so clothes don't wrinkle and they aren't a hassle to get into and repack and 6) It is really durable.

My fiance and I are going to Asia too for 2.5 weeks on our honeymoon. I bought a bag for my fiance to take as I loved mine so much. Happy travels!
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

That MotherLode bag looks great except for one thing -- I won't buy any bag that doesn't have wheels (I have learned my lesson!)
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

fwiw, I just did my research on each of the airlines we'll be traveling on (United, Asiana, Vietnam Air, Air Asia and Air Nippon), and determined that we will have to check luggage whether we like it or not, since the carryon limit on VN and AA are both very small/light. I think we'll take slightly larger bags than we otherwise might have (and just a tote/backpack as carryon), and either take an extra bag to carry home souvenirs, or buy one there. The fact is, on this trip, we won't be carrying/pulling our luggage through the streets -- we'll be taking taxis/car service or being picked up at the airport in every location.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Another vote for the ebags.com weekender convertible. (And we even have the lower model - not the mother lode - so it's even cheaper - like $50.) Both husband and I take them everywhere. Surprisingly sturdy, lightweight, small - but hold lots. We each take one of these and another carryon - he takes a reg. size backpack and I've got a tote like thing. I carry my binoculars (nature is always a part of our trips, cushioned by my foldable rain jacket, plus reading matter for plain in the tote. We may or may not check our trust ebags. Now we've taken those even on 2 month trips (we do laundry to - or find somewhere to drop it off). I'm now in the habit of taking everywhere a few pairs of rainforest like pants (some zip off to shorts or roll to capris). One pair of black cotton pants (for "dress"), a few wickaway 3/4 sleeve Ts in different colors, a pair of super walking sandals, another pair of sturdyish/dressier shoes, a pr of silk long underwear, and maybe 7 sets other undies. On the plane I wear my hiking boots, black zip fleece jacket, and probably the black cotton pants. Along with minimal cosmetics - that's really all I take any more and it's just great. Usually that bag filled weighs 17 or so lbs. at most. . .. This list has sufficed nicely for European cities in late Fall and tropical climes.. and oh yeah a bathing suit. While we sometimes miss "wheels", we've found these lightweight bags w/o wheels to be easier overall - small planes, buses, etc. .etc.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 02:01 PM

I wore out a big Kipling wheeled bag (not the same one guenmai is recommending). Kipling is great light-weight luggage! No doubt about it. I think mine was the 30" "Canyon" bag. (huge)

But, to replace it, I bought a large expandable High Sierra bag at a TJ Max. My Kipling bag 'gave up the ghost' on a trip, so I bought the new TJ Max bag because I needed something ASAP. I was able to put the old Kipling INSIDE the new bag and bring it home!!! It's a:

High Sierra A.T.Q. Collection 32" Drop Bottom Expandable Duffrite... (I think that is the right one)
for $99 at TJ Max. Love it!!

I can stuff soooo much into it. I liked it so much that I went back to TJ Max and bought a second one, identical, but in a slightly smaller size. I usually check two bags on the way to Bangkok (3 on the way back) and these two High Sierra bags have been really great! These bags have straps on the bottom, so they could be used at backpacks. I don't use them that way. I prefer the wheels! I like that they 'stand up' even when fully loaded. Some duffel bags want to tip over if they are very full. Not these two High Sierras!

(I also like British India clothing! Although, I've not bought much)
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Here's an article I wrote for our blog about our last luggage-buying experience.
http://www.travelindependently.com/w...-luggage-today
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

simpson, 32" -- that's enormous! I can't even imagine taking a bag that big with me (anywhere ). But I will take a peek at TJ Maxx.

Thanks Kathie for the link.

BTW, I could open the British India link, but not the links within the main page.
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 11:35 PM

sf7307: I also tried opening the British India links within the main page and also couldn't. Maybe they are working on the website. This is the first time that I've had trouble opening them. I'll try contacting British India about it to see what they say. Happy Travels!