Travel Insurance

Dec 8th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Travel Insurance

What insurance company have you used and is it the best?
Dec 9th, 2013, 12:29 AM

Hi,

I use World Nomads. When I hurt my back recently and contacted them they called me every day to see how I was doing.

Do make sure you get medical insurance for Cambodia. You do not want to spend time in a Cambodian hospital if you get seriously hurt.

Regards

Lee
Dec 9th, 2013, 02:29 AM

Past 2 times I used covermore, this time around I will change to nomads. Cover more is good and pay out without hassle, but when contacting them the girl I spoke to had no idea of my insurance. It got to the point I told her if she didn't transfer me to someone else I would bill them for the call as well.
Dec 9th, 2013, 05:19 AM

Your question is far too general. What country do you live in? A US company will be of no use if you live in the UK. Also, what kind of insurance so you want? I always carry medical evacuation insurance and rarely carry trip cancellation, but people with sick relatives or expensive tours may need the latter.
Dec 9th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Try www.insuremytrip.com. Just fill in the particulars they ask for and you be taken to a page full of options from many insurance companies. I usually pick American Express and they paid off big time last yr. when we had to buy additional return tickets to the US as we were stuck in Madrid d/t our flight being cancelled by super storm Sandy. They paid the entire extra fee.

This yr. I took a policy offered by Allainz thru UAL and it saved is like 6k for medical care for my wife in Bangkok.
Jan 4th, 2014, 09:01 PM

My husband and I just returned from an 8.5 month trip around the world. We had insurance through Allianz, http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/, and used it twice: once when my husband got food poisoning in Cambodia and the other when I was robbed on the metro in Barcelona. Both times, we had no problems with the claims.

P.S. About our experience with medical care in Cambodia... My husband stayed overnight at the international hospital in Siem Reap and had wonderful care. Here's our blog post about it, http://latitudeb.com/stomach-gone-amok/. But yes, like many developing countries, for serious medical conditions, transport to another country is best.
Jan 4th, 2014, 11:21 PM

in which country do you live?

what type of cover do you want? e.g. comprehensive, covering everything or medical cover, trip cancellation, cancellation or curtailment, personal accident? the options or endless.

What do you consider to be "the best"? price, claims experience, exclusions, excesses claims procedures and contact are all variables that are important to different people in different ways.

All or most of these are factor to consider before determining the best policy for you personally. what i, or others consider to be important may be totally irrelevant to you.

finally, whichever insurer you choose, do read the small print VERY carefully
Jan 11th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your reply. I will look carefully for insurance.

By the way, loribarber,
I, too, got very ill with food poisoning once while traveling. I was in Morocco and had a flight already ticketed to Spain. Don’t travel with food poisoning. It was an awful experience.
Jan 12th, 2014, 09:00 AM

I always chose a policy through www.insuremytrip.com Anyone who may have tried to fly anywhere during storm seasons can surely see the point!
Feb 15th, 2014, 01:14 AM

I have used SunCorp insurance from Australia. They even cover people over 80 years old. I took my 84 year old mother to Bali recently and they covered her.