Travel Insurance

Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Insurance

I'm not sure where to post this, but since we're going to SEA, I'll post it here! (If someone has a better idea, please let me know).

We want to explore the possibility of travel insurance (first time ever) covering this trip but I have a few questions:

1) I'm less concerned about illness or injury to us while abroad (although that's important, too). In this case, I'm more concerned about illness, injury or death of a family member at home (quite elderly dad, although in great shape, he is 91), in regards to having to cancel in advance or trip, or return home mid-trip.

2) What does travel insurance cover if you have to cancel before you go, but used miles for your air?

3) I've read that you have to apply for/buy trip insurance within a certain number of days after you book your trip. I'm not sure how that applies to a trip where I'm booking different things every day -- we booked our international air using miles a month ago, and have been booking hotels, some with an agency, some with the hotels, over the last couple of weeks. We've so far booked one Air Asia flight, but haven't booked any of our "internal" (Air Vietnam) flights yet.

Any advice would be appreciated, including where to look/who to call.

Thanks much.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM

Can't offer much advice, check www.insuremytrip.com for various insurance policies, I really don't know anything about the insurance aspect of the trip. Maybe, a similar post in the lounge would be worthwhile since this question would apply to all travel destinations.

What I do want to draw to your attention is when I used the last of my UA miles (this was a few years ago), I was NOT allowed any changes (ie, date changes) once travel commenced. UA may or may not have the same rules today, but check what their rules are now. This could be a problem for you if you need to return home early. Prior to travel you can cancel the ff ticket with UA by paying a fee.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM

You might find this thread illuminating:
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...e-169668-2.cfm
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM

I don't think United's rules have changed. For most people, the airfare is the most expensive part of the trip, except for those using miles, of course. Not sure if you actually had to purchase flights home on account of a mid-trip emergency that you would be covered. There are plans that cover trip cost + 50% - that might be the way to go.

Are you paying your agent for hotels in advance? If you are concerned about canceling your trip, that may not be a very good idea. What are the cancellation policies for your Air Asia and Vietnam Air flights? You may find that the amount of money involved is not that much when compared to what you might spend for insurance.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 01:27 PM

changes would probably incur the standard $100 or so per ticket change fee
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Air Asia and Vietnam flights aren't much in the scheme of things. All our hotels are cancellable but only up to 14, 10, 7 or 3 days in advance of the stay.

I guess in the end it really is a question of risk aversion (as I said we have NEVER purchased trip insurance before). I might look into medical evacuation/repatriation, though. My BIL had to be flown from the Amazon to LA first-class (well, first-class once they got him out of the jungle!) because he had to lie down the whole way -- his trip insurance paid the whole thing.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 03:31 PM

You can buy separate med evac insurance very cheaply. There is much discussion about it on the thread I linked to. I do always carry med evac; I've never purchased any other trip insurance.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Don't confuse different types of insurance policies. Cancellation insurance is what will cover you before departure, should you need to cancel your trip, but you must read the fine print and know exactly what is insured and what is not. Medical insurance will cover you once you are on your trip, should you need it, again you need to be aware of the fine print to determine exactly what is insured. Having said that, I do not know what type of insurance you would require if you need to return home early in case you need to return because of your FIL.