travel insurance

Old Apr 15th, 2016, 07:37 AM
usf
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travel insurance

I just read the helpful information about travel insurance on this forum but as noted, a lot of this thread is old. I have a specific question. I put a down payment on my trip in November, 2015 and have since made a major payment. I have not yet booked my airline ticket for my August, 2016 trip.
I have a pre-existing medical condition that shouldn't cause me to cancel my trip. However, I have a medically-fragile grandson and would not travel if he became ill at the last minute. Two insurance companies I've talked with say his condition is considered a pre-existing condition so I would not be covered. I traveled in 2014 and don't remember this being a problem. Any suggestions other than 'cancel for any reason' which I'm not at all sure I can do at this point.

Thanks much,

Linda
Savannah, GA
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 08:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You would probably need 'cancel for any reason'
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 09:24 AM

Pre-existing conditions are just that "pre-existing" and as such are excluded from regular travel policies. It matters not whether it is a pre-exist ion condition you have or a pre-existing condition a non- traveling family member (as defined in the policy) has. Since a grandchild is normally considered a family member by most travel insurance companies and your grand child has a pre-existing condition you would not have coverage if you had to cancel your trip unless you had a "cancel for any reason" policy.

I gather you don't want to purchase that type of policy because of the cost. In that case you are out of options.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 09:29 AM

Oops, I just realized you probably can't get a cancel for any reason policy now because of the timing between your initial payment and now, not because of price.

Anyway, one suggestion go to www.insuremytrip.com and contact one of their representatives- they handle just about every type of travel insurance available and if there is a policy that can cover you they will know it.
Old Apr 16th, 2016, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What they said. It's not the airline ticket that counts, it is the very first payment, in this case the deposit. I just paid a deposit, and figure I have 14 days to decide whether I want interruption/cancellation insurance (doesn't apply to medical and evacuation). I don't usually bother as it is expensive, but I don't have ailing or aged family members to worry about.
Old Apr 16th, 2016, 05:25 PM
usf
Original Poster

Thanks much; very helpful information as always.
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 02:51 AM

Is travel insurance is mandatory for UAE visit?
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Why not just buy a flexible or refundable air ticket?
Old May 6th, 2016, 03:39 AM

I think the restrictions regarding “preexisting conditions” generally DO NOT apply to family members and travelling companions. If an elderly parent dies, for example, probably it is because of a pre-existing condition, but you would still be covered if you chose to cancel or interrupt your trip as a result. Similarly, if your travel companion takes suddenly ill or dies you would be covered yourself for your non-refundable costs if you cancelled, but presumably your companion would not be if it was a pre-existing condition.

Think about it: you can’t possibly know the true health status of all your family members and travel companions when you book or at the time of travel so it would be pointless to purchase insurance if their pre-existing conditions made the insurance worthless.

That being said, a grandparent/grandchild relationship is a special circumstance. My daughter had an upcoming family trip last year when my mother (at 99) was nearing the end of her life. She discovered to her surprise that she and her family were not covered if in fact they cancelled due to the death of a grandparent. I suppose that is because grandparent deaths are relatively common, and therefore a risk the insurance company is unwilling to assume. I would guess that the same does not apply to a grandchild, as that is an unlikely occurrence in the general population.

As noted, the OP needs to talk to one or more insurance providers, and all of us need to check the fine print, each and every time we travel.
Old May 6th, 2016, 05:40 AM

I think your "understanding" is incorrect. I certainly would not rely on it. Perhaps you can provide some proof? The fact that an elderly parent may die of a pre-existing condition is precisely why you need to buy insurance while pre-existing conditions are covered, generally 14 days from first payment.
Old May 6th, 2016, 02:55 PM

Insurance contracts of any description, travel insurance included, are written under the legal doctrine of "Uberrima fides" i.e. utmost good faith. Which basically means that each party has a duty of care to disclose ANY information which may affect that contract regardless of whether specifically asked or not.

My own policy includes the following clause:

"Any Medical Condition for which you (or any other person not necessarily travelling but upon whom travel depends such as a Close Relative) have received surgery, in-patient treatment or investigations in a hospital or clinic within the last twelve months, or are prescribed drugs/medication."

Also important to note that it is usually a condition of insurance that if something happens (e.g. A new condition happens) between taking out the policy and departure date then the insurance company should be advised.

Always best to disclose anything of which one is aware, but probably a bad idea to ask any close relatives how they are feeling before taking out a policy!
Old May 6th, 2016, 03:03 PM

eliztravels2: those assumptions are pretty much incorrect re insurance, pre-existing conditions, etc.
Old May 8th, 2016, 03:05 AM

It appears insurance coverage varies more than I thought, and can be more restrictive than what I have always had, and assumed to be the norm. In my policy the covered person needs to be “clinically stable” for 3 months prior to departure to be eligible for unexpected medical expenses while travelling. Trip interruption/cancellation covers “the death or serious injury or illness of a covered person or a member of the covered person’s immediate or extended family” No exclusions regarding existing conditions . It also extends to “the death of a covered person’s travelling companion or of a member of the immediate or extended family of the travelling companion”

“Extended family" is defined quite broadly and includes grandparents, inlaws nieces and nephews.

Of course there are many variables. The fact that I live in Canada probably is a factor, also that my travel insurance is part of a group extended health package and is in effect year round without having to reapply.

So as stated: discuss your situation with more than one insurance provider (not just a tour operator) and read the fine print.
Old May 8th, 2016, 03:12 AM

>> also that my travel insurance is part of a group extended health package <<

Then it isn't actually 'trip insurance' you are talking about. It is a part of your regular health insurance (based in Canada).
Old May 8th, 2016, 06:53 AM

What janisj said. Insurance is VERY country dependent. In the US it can even be state dependent, as insurance companies are regulated by the states.
Old May 8th, 2016, 09:42 AM

Perhaps splitting hairs, janisj, but I don’t know why you wouldn’t consider what I have as trip insurance, since it covers me for trip cancellation or interruptions, as well as medical and and other costs while travelling outside my home province. If I never travelled, it would be of no use to me. I have three components in my insurance: extended health (for physio, chiropractors drugs, etc. not covered under our government funded health care), travel, and dental.

As you say, it varies widely by jurisdiction. I’m just surprised to learn some policies are so restrictive.
Old May 8th, 2016, 10:02 AM

It is not "trip insurance" in the sense that you bought it specifically AS trip insurance, it just happens to be included in another policy. I can't imagine a medical insurance policy in the US including it.
Old May 8th, 2016, 01:26 PM

>>Perhaps splitting hairs, janisj, but I don’t know why you wouldn’t consider what I have as trip insurance<<

Not splitting hairs at all. You gave advice/opinions about travel/trip insurance restrictions and limitations . . . which were not based on 'trip insurance' but on your own health insurance which apparently covers you for trip cancellation. (we aren't talking about one's own personal medical costs which some US HMOs/insurance do cover and some don't)

'Trip insurance' are typically stand alone policies which cover depending on the type of policy one purchases, medical expenses and/or trip interruption and/or theft and/or air evac and/or cancel for any reason, etc.

What you have is some other animal entirely.
Old May 9th, 2016, 01:53 AM

Call i t what you may, janisj, but my policy calls it travel insurance.
Old May 9th, 2016, 05:04 AM

No doubt your policy does call it travel insurance. But since your policy is a group plan, only available to employees of the company you work for - in Canada - it is irresponsible to use it as a basis for giving advice to people who don't have any possibility of buying it. I used to have an employee group plan that covered my medical expenses when traveling, I did not give advice on the assumption that other people had similar coverage.