Search

Travel in Thailand safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel in Thailand safe?

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say this is my first time posting here, but I've definitely read this website for help in planning a few vacations!

I was hoping to go to Thailand in January with family, but I was told by someone (a person who has visited Thailand a few times and who I consider relatively reliable) that there is "political and civil unrest there" and that it's especially dangerous for people with American visas? I was planning on going to Bangkok, Phuket and maybe Chiang Mai

Can anyone verify the accuracy of this statement? most people have said it's a great and safe tourist destination.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:00 PM

The most polite thing I can say about someone who tells you that Thailand is " especially dangerous for people with American visas" is that this "friend" is sadly misinformed. Yes, there was a coup in Thailand last year. Visitors were almost entirely unaffected. The only civil unrest is in the farthest south of Thailand (not an area on the tourist track) where there has been long term strife between the Muslim and Buddhist communities.

The places you plan to visit are all on the well-worn tourist track.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:06 PM

We've been to Thailand five times, going back in November. We're proud Bostonians and diehard Red Sox fans. Never any problem, worry or issue.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM

I'm in Bangkok right now (11th trip). American female, traveling alone (although friends are here same time as I am but we don't see each other everyday). I have never felt unsafe! I am sorry that your friend feels that way about this lovely country with such warm and hospitable people.
Carol
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 11:58 AM
TC

At the same time I am planning to spend the entire month of November in Thailand, I can see how someone's "friend" could over-react to the cautions regarding travel in Thailand. The following is a link to the U.S. Government's Counsular Advisory for Thailand. It could give one pause.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1040.html
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Not to contradict any of what's been said above, but January just _might_, possibly, maybe just a little bit iffy. It all depends on how the elections in December go off - if they go off.

That said, even if things do blow up the way they did back in '92 (2 weeks after I moved to Thailand), tourists - regardless of which country they're from - would not be in any danger.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:01 AM

I would say that you are more at risk in a place like New York, DC or LA and our state department doesn't warn Americans from going there -- even when they raise the terror alert they urge non Americans to come to the US to show their support and to not give in to terror. Seems like a huge double standard to me.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 05:49 AM

I agree, Gloria. Actually, if I listened to the State department, I'd be afraid to go anywhere. Indeed, I'd be afraid to stay home.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 08:38 AM

I think you misunderstood your friend.

What they really said was "that it's especially dangerous for people with American visa cards" due to the dollar being in freefall against the Thai baht
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Good point Zeer!

I travelled to Thailand twice last year, once solo, and never felt in danger of any kind.

As with any place in the world, bad things can happen but no more so in Thailand than in most other countries.

Go to Thailand. You won't regret it!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM

I've been to Thailand a few dozen times and apart from having my pockets picked a number of times have had no trouble.

There is trouble in Thailand near the southern border. Muslims have threatened people with death there. Police I talked to earlier this year in Bangkok as good as advised me to stay away from the area (without my mentioning the troubles there).

I have 3 months booked in Thailand from December but certainly won't be attending any New Year celebrations at the end of the year in case muslims decide to attend it too like last year.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Most reports I read seemed to think the former prime minister or his supporters were behind the NYE bombs.

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:14 AM

kaneda - why so negative on muslims?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM

I vacation there twice a year and for up to three weeks at a time. Although I was in Bangkok, for three weeks, this past Dec 2006/Jan 2007 when the bombs went off in the city,that has not stopped me from having my two vacations a year there. I've been going there almost annually since the 90s. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:10 AM
TC

None of this sounds like Muslim bashing -- just ordinary precautions while traveling. In fact the State Depts. travel briefing includes the phrase <i>&quot;Although the crime threat in Bangkok remains lower than that in many American cities&quot;</i> It does, however, include dated listings of bombs that were set off in Southern cities in public buildings where many local people were hurt -- including one airport. Although, this did not happen in an area of Thailand where tourists often travel, it is a fact reported by the Thai government. The original poster asked a question about <i>&quot;civil and political unrest&quot;</i> in Thailand -- sadly there is civil and political unrest. It doesn't mean he shouldn't travel to Thailand, just that he should be aware.