travel agent/driver

Feb 16th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

travel agent/driver

Has anyone used Jasvilas for planning a trip with driver? I have made contact but they want exact itinary. I may want to use my own hotel ideas and may want to change # of days in each location. I'll take train from Delhi, Varanasi, Agra. Then go by car to Bundi, Rajasthan area. I one car with me the whole time? This still seems confusing to me. How is this all set up?

Thanks group!
Feb 17th, 2005, 09:22 AM

It typically works like this, irrespective of the agency you use:

An agency provides you the car and quotes a price depending upon the number of days that you want to use the car and the distance you want to travel within those days. Rajasthan operators generally charge you for a minimum average of 250 KM per day, but if you travel more than that, you pay more.

If you wish to travel from Agra to Bundi and leave the car at Bundi, you will be required to pay the return fare from Bundi to Agra. Similarly you will have to pay ther return fare whenever you hire a car from one city to another. This is one reason why it is economical to hire one car for the whole of your journey, and plan your journey in a manner that you average around 250 Kilometers per day!

Selection of hotels is your perorgative, as is the number of days that you want to stay in a place.
Mar 27th, 2005, 08:39 PM

I know that travelling entirely by car can be daunting, but having a good, reliable driver can make you feel more secure.

Our driver/guide was Mahavir Yadav (a.k.a. Rajasthanbycar) and he was key to the success of our vacation. Because he was squiring us around, we didn't waste time with those infamous rickshaw drivers and avoided most (but not all) uber-entrepreneurial touts. He helped us plan our itinerary, telling us the best times to visit and photograph the sights.

He's very flexible, only asking for a general idea of the no. of days and locations. He always reminds you that it is YOUR vacation, and he's only there to help.

His fees are very reasonable, too. We were so happy with our experience that we gave him a huge tip.

I think his address is [email protected]. Or you can reach him through Virtual Tourist, where he is a much trusted source of information.
Mar 28th, 2005, 08:57 AM

It will be helpful if you can quantify the "reasonable fee". That will be an opportunnity for others to add their experiences.
Mar 28th, 2005, 09:10 AM

well, i didn't want to set the price for him. just in case he was about to raise his rates.

but let's say the average driver's quote is 6 rupees for every km, and the minimum is 250km a day. i paid him close to that, AND he did not ask for any batta (add-on expenses like his overnight accommodation and food), which some drivers would do....of course, it helps that he owns the car.
Mar 28th, 2005, 09:17 AM

and oh, his address is [email protected]