Transfers from KLIA into KL

Sep 11th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Transfers from KLIA into KL

It's been quite a while since I've been in KL. In fact, last time I stayed in KL was before the new airport was open! With the drive into KL now being close to an hour, I'm wondering about transfers into the city. Is there a Limo stand like there is at BKK? We'll be arriving in KL fairly exhausted after the transpacific flight and just a few hours sleep in the transit hotel in SIngapore, so I want to make sure our trip into the city is comfortable. We'll be carrying a fair amount of luggage to accomodate our shopping. I can request a transfer from the Ritz, but I don't normally book transfers if good cars (like a good-sized Mercedes or Volvo or a "London Cab" like in SIN) are readily available. Any recent info? Thanks.
Sep 11th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Why don?t you just take the train? It is by far the fastest and it has ample room for luggage.

When you check in for your flight you should be able to check your luggage through to the downtown station, though that may depend on which airline you are using.

I haven?t had a chance to check my luggage through; I would be interested to know how it works. Having been involved with the development of both the Hong Kong Airport Express and the KL one, I thought it a daft idea.
Sep 11th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestion, Tangata. I'd thought about that but was thinking that we'll be so jet-lagged and exhausted that we'll want the easiet way to get to town. We're flying Singapore Air (ah! first class) so I'm sure we could check our luggage through to the downtown station. Who has done this? How smooth is the process? Will I need to have many brain cells functioning in order to do it?
Sep 12th, 2004, 02:21 AM

The KLIA express is very easy and fast. I wasn't aware of the ability to check your luggage through to the city terminal, but you can check in for most flights there. There is a taxi rank at the station stocked with the modern large environmentally friendly cabs which offer fixed fare transfers to the city in about 5 minutes
Sep 12th, 2004, 06:35 AM

From the city-KL-Pan Pacific Hotel what will taxi fare be in USD for 2 persons? How long will it take at 8:00AM to airport? Regardless of what they say how much time before departure on Cathay Pacific should I arrive for a 10:00AM flight?
Thanks.
Sep 12th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Your probably looking at the equivalent of about $5. The taxis at KLIA Central are the deluxe type and are a bit more expensive. Malaysia is very cheap and you really don't have to worry about costs unless you go absolutely bonkers.

Check in times - contact the airlines to be sure. Allow about an hour to get to the airport from your hotel via the express.
Sep 12th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

I decided to google this question, and found the website of KLIA: www.klia.com/my

There are two types of car available at the airport, a budget taxi (very small) and a premier taxi (larger cars, some are Mercedes). You buy a coupon at the desk for your destination. If you are traveling between midnight and 6 am there is a 30% surcharge on these rates.

From the airport to KL central,
budget taxis are 67.10 ringgit
premier taxis are 92.10 ringgit

From KL Central to the airport
budget taxis are 58.10 ringgit
premier taxis are 70.10 ringgit
Sep 12th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

PS the current exchange rate is approx 3.8 ringgit to the US dollar, so the more expensive taxi would still be under US$25
Sep 12th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Walter and Katie; Thanks for transport info from KL to Airport.
Can I assume that if I leave the Pan Pacific at 8:00 AM I will have enough time to check bags and make my 10:05 AM flight on Cathay? Thanks.
Sep 12th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Stan, usually international flights require 90 minutes or 2 hour check in before departure. In Asia this is especially important, as the flights actually TAKE OFF at the departure time, so you must be boarded at least 30 minutes before then. Check on the Cathay website for what they require. It will likely take you 1 hour from KL to the airport. The airport itself is huge, so expect a long walk as well as a train ride within in the airport.
Sep 12th, 2004, 06:31 PM

Katie; Thanks. It looks like a 7:30 departure from the Pan Pacific will get me to the airport at or before 8:30 AM giving me 90+ minutes prior to departure. If I have a luxury taxi can't they get me to the check-in counters for Cathay Pacific even if I have to take a train to the gates? I have no problem withthe $20-$25 fare.I just hate waiting around airports considering this will be the end of a 25 day trip to Thailand and Malaysia.
Sep 12th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the taxi will get you to the check in counter area. KLIA is huge. It will still take you a while to get to your gate. Are you flying business or first? If so, that will give you faster check in. But I'd still leave your hotel by 7:30, as you've planned.
Sep 13th, 2004, 04:38 PM

Katie; We are flying coach to Hong Kong then Business to JFK-New York.
Still , I assume 7:30 makes sense.
I will call from my room at the Pan Pacific @ 7:00AM for a taxi at 7:30.
Thanks.