Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

This may be a stupid question about baggage while changing planes but..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM
carolinetaylor

While i've travelled extensively in Europe, being European i've never took a long haul flight before.

In a few months i'm going to Adelaide via Singapore and my flight gets into Singapore at 7.45am and then doesn't leave until 23.45 the following day.

Now i know this is a stupid question but will my luggage be checked through or will i pick it up and then re-check in the following day?

I don't really mind either way and i assume that i'll have to re-check in but having never flown long haul before i don't know.

Can anyone help?

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am not the most experienced with this, but your bags will probably be checked through. I'm sorry if this doesn't help, but I would wait for one more response.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM

From 0745 until 2345 the following day (or do you mean departing 2345 the same day as arriving into SIN?) is a long time to be without your luggage. Where are you staying during this time? If you are leaving the airport, I would think you would need your luggage and any stopover more than 24 hours may not be considered a connection. Therefore, I would say that you need to recheck it the next day but the best thing would be to check with the airline.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:39 AM
carolinetaylor

No i have over 24 hours in Singapore, i'm going to be staying in a hotel in the city itself (not decided which yet) and i'm looking forward to exploring the city.

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM

I believe anything over 24 hours and it's almost 40 hours in your case, is considered a layover, so you will need to collect and re-check your luggage. Besides, would you feel comfortable knowing that your luggage is lying around for 40 hours in some luggage dungeon? to which 100s of airport workers having access?
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
carolinetaylor

I would prefer to collect my luggage and store it in some lockers myself (don't fancy lugging a lot of luggage into town for one night) but i wasn't sure if i'd have the choice.

With regards to checking in, will they give me some sort of pass to prove that i'm just re-checking in or will i just treat it as a new flight?

Sorry to sound so dumb but this is my first flight over 5 hours and first with a stopover so its all really new to me

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Like AAFF says you will have to claim your luggage in Singapore and recheck it when you check in for your flight to Adelaide. Airlines won't hold your bags that long.

I don't recall seeing any luggage lockers at the Singapore airport (since 911 they've become very scarce) but I've only been there twice. You might want to post the "locker" question on the Asia Forum. Someone there might have a definitive answer or an alternate solution.

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:52 PM

I don't believe the airport has lockers but I do know they have Left Luggage Service:

http://www.changiairport.com/changi/...t_baggage.html
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Oh I didn't answer your other question. When you claim your luggage in Singapore you WILL NOT get any kind of "pass" for your luggage. You will have to claim it upon arrival, clear customs and take it with you. When you check in for your flight to Adelaide the next night your luggage (and you)will be treated as a new flight. In other words, you'll have to get your boarding pass for the Adelaide flight when you check in at the Singapore airport.

Like AAFF says, because of the time between flights you are on a "layover" not a "connecting" flight.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM
carolinetaylor

Thanks for all your help. I now feel a lot more confident about my trip.

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM

Here's the website for Changi Aiport in Singapore. I always like to know what to expect on arrival the first time I'm in a new airport.

http://tinyurl.com/yrt46x

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:09 AM
carolinetaylor

Thanks