Search

Recent Jo'burg airport transfer times?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent Jo'burg airport transfer times?

Hi
I've searched the board but can't easily find any recent info on transfer times at Jo'burgh airport.

I need to book a last leg to Bloemfontein after arriving from UK at 10.40 (hopefully)There is a flight at 12.35 but I'm not sure if that gives me enough time to collect my luggage, clear immigration/customs and get to domestic and check in?

I haven't had to do it this way before.
Don't want to add another hour on to my journey if it's not necessary so would appreciate some recent advice.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Well, that's 2 hours. Just guessing, but I would think enough time. Assuming your luggage arrives . Same airline, both flights? That will help, they should wait/help if problem.

regards - tom
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM

SAA's luggage situation is reportedly much better since about a year ago when SAA/Jo'burgh airport outsourced its luggage operation to a Swiss firm.

I traveled to SA twice last year. Both times with about 2 hrs of a bit less turnaround time in Jo'burgh (neither times did I have to collect my luggage in Jo' , but my wife who came back separately through Maun forgot to check the bags all the way through and had to collect her luggage in Jo' -- no problem).

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both for your info, it's more recent than any I've found.

I can't check my luggage right through so know I'll need to claim it, that's what worrying me

I've been in and out of Jo'burg a few times but not having to immediately connect and didn't envy the flight-loads trying to do it. Looked a real scrum!

Maybe an extra hour would be less stressful??
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM

You should be ok - 2 hours is plenty to re-check your bags!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM

About 10 days ago, I transferred from the domestic terminal to the international terminal at J'burg, and it was a LONG walk.. I think ongoing construction has altered the routes. I do think you'll be fine with two hours, but an extra hour might allow you to grab a cup of tea and not stress..
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:39 PM

I've done it twice recently and my flights were on time, immigration was fast and bags were through quickly. I think 2 hours is fine if your flight is on time.

As someone else has said, if you have to get between terminals it can be a little confusing and take some time but it wasn't too bad and the check-in area seemed a little less hectic than a year ago. The security area can be a bit busy but did seem to move quite fast.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone, I now feel confident enough to book the 12.35!

Good to be pre-warned re the construction works too.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM

We arrived Joburg at 7am on VS601 and went to a jetway instead of remote gate. The immigartion line took about 35 minutes to get through, by which time our bags were ready. So even with that long wait, we would have made it no problem. I would only be concerned about the time allowed to check bags before flight departure.