Trains or Planes?

Search

Trains or Planes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains or Planes?

Hi - Two of us are planning a trip to China in Nov. on our own for two weeks. We are looking at these cities:
US to Beijing to Xian to Guilin to Yangshuo to Shanghai

Deciding if we should take planes or trains between each city. Here are the questions:
How long is the train ride between each city?
Should we consider overnight train rides? We would want a sleeper car with a private toilet.
What are the prices of plane vs train?
Can we book the train tickets ahead of time online? Is there a website to get prices and schedules? Are there non smoking trains?
How do we book plane tickets online? What airlines? Is there a site?
Does it matter with price/schedule wise if we did the trip in reverse and started in Shanghai?
Thanks in advance for response.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go here for info on trains: http://seat61.com/China.htm

I've only traveled by train in China, but this site should give you some idea about planes: http://english.ctrip.com/

However, prices for planes fluctuate a lot, and tickets are often bought just a few days ahead in country. Have you read any guidebooks yet?
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 01:47 AM

http://cnvol.com/ is a handy site for obtaining Chinese train timetables.

I normally travel by train in China. In fact, I will be there in a couple of weeks time.
Still working out which site to use for purchasing tickets, as on a couple of previous trips, I did use a travel agent. However, they only want to book packages including hotels now, so, I am investigating which on-line company to use , purely for tickets.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 01:52 AM

Sleeper cars with private toilets ? 99.9% certain that you will not get that.
Normal "soft sleeper" cars have four bunks in the room. You can close the door for privacy, but, I have never seen two person compartments.
Train tickets often only go on sale a maximum of 10 days ahead. Impossible to book a month in advance.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 03:12 AM

www.ctrip.com

If you want a private toilet you will not like

train travel in china fly stay in nice 5 star

hotels otel.com asiarooms.com booking.com betterbidding.com

all great sites for hotels.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to seat61.com there are a few two-person deluxe soft sleepers with private toilet on select routes, including Beijing to Xi'an. Personally, I've found regular soft sleeper on Chinese trains perfectly fine, and sharing a compartment can be a good way to meet locals not involved in the tourist industry.

You can buy tickets through your hotel, although there will be a markup. You can also buy from any travel agency after you arrive, in which case they'll just sell you a train ticket with a smaller markup than the hotels, I never had one try to sell me a package. Or you can buy in person at the station.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 06:11 AM

But note the hotel markup is only about a dollar.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 10:49 PM

gerseau: I guess that the reason for selling only packages now is, that the rules have changed recently and you can from now on purchase a train ticket only on your passport - I've heard. Not sure if that's true though, so don't take it for granted. If you've settled your accommodation already, I'd ask them for an assistance. Or try to ask (I)CTS.
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Hanabi,
I did all my hotel bookings myself as I have been to China on numerous ocasions. Using Holiday Inn and Ibis Hotels. Stayed at an Ibis Hotel in Harbin in January, and it was nice and clean etc. Sure, not 5 star, but, IBIS Hotels seem to be set up to a common standard around the world, as regards rooms, showers etc.

In the last couple of days, I have made train reservations via this firm http://www.travelchinaguide.com/

They have been responsive in answering my enquiries, and, on and for some trains, have offered alternatives as well. I did a lot of research on the net to find suitable trains, but, it appears that, for a couple of my choices, the train did not run that particular day.
You do pay for the delivery of tickets to your hotel, but, I felt, that I am going there for vacation, not, to waste my time, finding booking offices, standing in queues etc.

I am off to Shanghai, Beijing, Datong, Xi'an,and back to Shanghai.

Of yes, they did ask for a copy of my passport details.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. After researching, we are going to have an agency book our train tickets so we can pay by credit card and no need to wait in line when we get to Beijing. For Beijing to Xian, we like the Z19 train.

After reading http://seat61.com/China.htm, I found these 3 agencies with varying prices. Anyone more reliable than the other? We want the tickets delivered to our Bejing hotel. Has anyone had a great experience with one or a bad experience with one to avoid? Thanks.

www.chinatripadvisor.com, www.chinatraintickets.net or www.china-train-ticket.com
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 01:59 AM

I was recently in China. I used this firm to book 4 different train trips. Shanghai to Beijing on High Speed train, Beijing to Datong, Datong to Xi'an, and Xi'an to Shanghai.

Excellent communications. $25.00 per booking charge per ticket. So, I paid $100 extra for the four tickets. Others may disagree on the charges, but, I received e-mail communication on everything.

I was thinking of obtaining tickets myself, but, that would have meant going to stations, standing in queues, and generally wasting holiday time.

So,try this firm http://www.travelchinaguide.com/

They charge the same price for the ticket as shown on the ticket. The extra $25.00 covers their margin, and delivery fee via courier.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 04:19 AM

Charging $25 PER TICKET is highway robbery. Maybe per order (but still high).
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:36 AM

You may think that the $25 fee per ticket is highway robbery, but, handling and delivery fees add up. I did check prices from the firms that http://seat61.com/China.htm list, prior to ordering my tickets from Travelchinaguide.

Have you ever been in China?
Are you aware that tickets are not sold from one central place, but, from each station.
I would love to go to one train station in China, and purchase all my tickets, but, that does not happen. Tickets normally go on sale,a maximum of 10 days before the train departs.
In my case, I was arriving in Datong on a Friday PM, and leaving on a Monday PM. Therefore, I would have had a maximum of 3 days to purchase the ticket. There was only one train per day from Datong to Xi'an.
I was going sight seeing on the Saturday at 8:00AM. So, how would I obtain a ticket that day?

A similar situation when I arrived in Xi'an at 9:30AM on a Tuesday. Pouring rain, the rail station is a nighmare, and you think a foreigner can find the ticket office? I was leaving for Shanghai on the Thursday afternoon, so, once again, I had only 2 days in town. The sleep cars on the train were all full.
Yes, I would like to pay less for the ticket, but, thats one of the problems travelling by train in China.
I did a lot of research before placing my orders.

For your information, I covered 4,207 KM by train for a total of $398. That included first class on the high speed train from Shanghai to Beijing and two overnight trains, with soft sleeper.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Actually yes, I've been in China quite a few times and am well aware of the process. I've never paid anything close to $25 a ticket! I stand by my statement.

At a minimum note that "courier" charges should be fixed regardless of the number of tickets. That portion of the charge should be fixed for 1 or 4 or more tickets.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 04:31 PM

NoFlyZone.
Well, four separate ticket, four deliveries...I agree that prices are high, but, last year, I paid more when dealing with another firm.

I would rather pay that extra $25 and get a confirmed seat, rather than get to one city and try to purchase tickets.. I intended to actually purchase tickets for myself, but, sanity prevailed. I received excellent communication with the firm that I did deal with. Never had any worries over delivery .

Check the prices quoted by some of the firms mentioned in Seat61.com. They were ridiculous. Just gouging.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 12:35 AM

Well, a lot of wrong and outdated information above.
Yes you can get a deluxe soft sleeper between Beijing and Xi'An and it is a room for 2 with private toilet.
To buy tickets on high speed trains (only those) you need to give your name and passport number, same as buying a plane ticket.
Only tickets for fast trains can be bought online but only on a Chinese government website and on the Chinese version of ctrip.com. In any case you need a Chinese credit card to buy them also. They are working on an english version. You can also book any train ticket by phone 11 days in advance in Beijing but you need to speak Chinese and have a Chinese id card. Otherwise ticket are generally on sale 10 days prior at the train station or the ticket vendors all over town. In big cities, the train station will have a booth where they serve you in english.
When in Beijing you can book tickets for any destination.
The best way to secure tickets for most travellers is to ask the hotel.