Search

Train Travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Travel

My boyfriend and I are planning to visit Vietnam in May but do not have a lot of time there, nor want to spend a lot of time in different hotels and airports. We are thinking of spending 5 nights in Hanoi, taking a day trip (even though I've heard it makes for a long day) to Halong Bay and then considering taking the overnight train to Hue. How is the overnight train and can you get a private cabin with locking door? I can not seem to find out anywhere. My plan is to arrive in Hue in the morning. Hire a driver to tour around the Citadel and a couple of tombs then continue on to Hoi An where we would be dropped off for a few days. Has anyone done this and if so, where is a good place to hire the driver.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 06:53 PM

I recommend you that don't spend 5nights in Hanoi, do less and take 2 days tour to Halong bay instead.
And about train, you absolutely may take a private cabin with locking door, that is very easy. Overnight on train is a good idea that you can see the countryside through the way in the night and day, remember that you will get to Hue in next early afternoon if you derpart from Hanoi at about 8-10 PM.
About driver, if you want a motorbike, it's very easy when you get to Hue, the price is about 20$ /day.
If you want a car, the price about 50-60 $ /day.
I know a hotel in Hue that you can hire driver and talk about price: Duy Tan Hotel, 12 Hung Vuong. Tel: +8454825001
For getting train ticket, you may talk to Mr Le: [email protected]. (Note: It's up to you, he is a travel Asisstant in Hanoi I met on my travel last year)
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. On the Vietnam Rail website they state leaving Hanoi at 7 pm and arriving in Hue at 8 am. Is this untrue? Are the schedules pretty unreliable?
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:25 PM

Sure.
There is not only train from Hanoi to Hue, and the time depends on the speed of train.
I can see the infor you provided on the Vietnam Rail website. What is your link?
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd also recommend doing an overnight on Halong Bay. Either your hotel or travel agency will likely hold luggage for you. I booked through the Tamarind Cafe, which will also arrange your train ticket - as will any hotel in the old quarter - which also has plenty of travel agencies. I've done the overnight train to Hue twice as a solo traveler, sharing with locals, and had no problems. The bunks are on the hard side, but not impossible. Lots of info on the trains, including pix, at www.seat61.com
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:29 PM

i travel a lot to vietnam....i agree with the last letter, don't take a 1 day trip to halong bay, if only one day i;d forgo it..better more time there....but i disagree with less time in hanoi, it's a small big city, lots of interesting nooks and crannies, and one of the best walking cities in vietnam....you can easily wile away more time there.... in hue, as in most cities, if you are paying 20 a day for a motobike, you are getting ripped off, in every city i have been in in vietnam, and believe me, i have been in almost all of them, a moto bike shouldn't cost you more then 5 to 8 per 24 hours....and a car isn't worth a darn for touring the citadel..it's all a walking thing....hoi an, to my way of thinking is the most tourist ladden of all vietnamese cities...the fact that it is small, and the place is heavely promoted to westerners, make it seem like all white faces at times....it is a charming place, but the city has it's pros and cons...ambiance regarding tourist areas etc...i wouldn't think you would need a driver...if at all the least bit adventuresome, rent a bike, it just looks hard, once you get involved, simple and easy etc, and a great way to vist vietnam. when i said the citiadel is a walking thing, by that i meant it is a walled area, cars not allowed..you would just be paying someone to drop you off, and then wait, getting around in the cities, more fun and safe, to just go around by moto bike taxie..and very cheap....
if you have any questions, feel free to contact me...and if you want to see some great b+w photos of where you are heading, check out my site: stewartsayyah.com....all vietnamese pictures. again, feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.
stewart
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM

And US$50-60 per day for a car, which I agree is worse than useless, sounds like a giant ripoff too.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Although I agree a car will sit while I visit the cidatel it's not as much an issue of just getting around but I will be carrying luggage as well. We will not be just backpacking but have actual suitcases and will be getting off the train in Hue and then transfering later in the day to Hoi An. Therefore, my main interest in the car is not only a way to get there but also some place to store our luggage. By the way, how long does it take to tour the citadel?
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM

I have seen numerous reports about www.vietnamstay.com re Vietnam accommodation, and booking trains and internal flights. They have timetables and fares at their website. But iof your time is limited, I'd be inclined to fly rather than use the train. Internal flights are not hugely expensive. Most legs seems to be about $80US-$100US.

Also check the Mainland Asia branch on the Lonely Planet Thorntree. The first two posts are kept at the top permanently as they provide great links to everything you are asking about.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:48 AM

Stewart, beautiful photos!!! Such a user friendly website too. Forgive me for digressing but can I ask what camera you use? I imagine it's a big ass serious photographer camera... can a small purse camera produce similar results?

airfare within vietnam: I actually got a cheaper price through my hotel concierge! sofitel charged only $52 f0r Hanoi to Danang while most travel cafe's were quoting $60.

it costs $55-60 for the car transfer between Hue to Danang anyway, so it is really not a bad deal if for that price your driver also takes you around Hue! btw, I booked through vietnamstay, and they are very professional people.