Anyone seen true Padparadscha (pink/orange) Sapphires in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love these stones - they are pinky/orange in colour but I know they are quite rare and expensive and there are lots of fakes about. True Padparadscha will have both pink and orange mixed within the stone but in Thailand in particular, stones were being purchased that were cheaper pink sapphires somehow treated so that the outer surface looked more orangey. When the stone was further examined or cut, the orange outer layer was visible.

Of those of you who have favourite and reputable jewellers, do you recall seeing anything like these? I know Bangkok is a good place generally to buy sapphires from.

Alternatively, does anyone have the email address of a reputable jeweller so I could perhaps email in advance to find out.

Thank you!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:42 AM

Yes, I have seen these at my jeweler in Bangkok. I haven't looked for them specifically, but I remember being shown some a number of years ago when I was buying some very lovely cornflower blue sapphires from Sri Lanka. They have all colors and sizes of loose stones, and can set any of them for you.

My jeweler is SJ International. Call them and they will pick you up at your hotel and deliver you back after your shopping. The sales person I've worked with for many years is Lily. If you tell her that Kathie from Seattle sent you, you'll get a better price.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:44 AM

I had to go to another of my posts to get the complete contact info:
SJ International
phone 02-2432446 or 02-2432447 or 02-2411875.
They are located at 125/8 Sawankhalok Road, Dusit, Bangkok.

And I just remembered that I saw some pink/orange sapphires set into earrings on my last trip. Also, they have the "rainbow" rings, bracelets, etc, that are made of all sapphires of all the hues.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Sounds wonderful, thank you Kathie
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:09 AM

we bought pink sapphires last trip but they are very pink, not orange at all....don't know of that name...i feel confident that any bkk jeweler could get you any color you wanted if they are available....they trade amongst themselves often
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob - into what piece of jewellery did you have the pink sapphires set? Was this at your usual jewellers?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:52 AM

yes at our regular jewelers....three things....a pair of earings, a ring and a necklace..
i did a google on the sapphire name and i came up with some stones that looked very much the same color as what we purchased, but some were more orange as you described....one site said that the pinker the more expensive...