Train time from Tokyo -> Kyoto?

Sep 19th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Train time from Tokyo -> Kyoto?

Hi,
I am going to Japan in November for vacation (alone) and am starting to get 'stage fright'. I am planning my trip to fly into Tokyo (frequent flyer miles), spend one night and then go to Kyoto for 4 nights before returning to Tokyo for a night before I fly back out.

I am going to buy a rail pass but for some reason am not finding out how long it take to take the train from Tokyo to Kyoto?

Also how long is the trip from Kyoto to Nara?

Thanks,
Anna
Sep 19th, 2005, 09:59 AM
chinovice

Hi Cat,
I visited Japan in April. The time depends on which train you take. I took the least expensive, the Kodama Shinkansen (bullet train). The other two are faster but more expensive.

Did all of my trip planning with help from the great people on the japan-guide forum. I really do recommend that you ask your questions there too.
http://www.japan-guide.com/local/

Have fun!

Sep 19th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I figured it out (2.5 hours) now I just need to figure out my hotel in Tokyo. Thanks I will check out that link!
Sep 19th, 2005, 10:53 AM
chinovice

What kind of hotel are you interested in?
If you want the very best possible in Businessmens hotel (read budget hotel) I can very highly recommend the Asia Kaikan (Asia central hotel). http://www.asiacenter.or.jp/

I also travelled solo and am a mature woman. If you want to read my trip report it is here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/exp...tml?aID=100030

Have fun!

Sep 19th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

I decided on The Yoshimiza Ginza. Was def. looking for Japanese hotels. It comes to $123 a night so not bad. I will read the travel journal. Very interested! Thanks.!
Sep 19th, 2005, 08:19 PM

What FF program? You can probably fly into Tokyo and return from Osaka.

Kyoto - Nara is about 45 minutes.

November is a good time to go to Japan. You should visit Meiji Shrine on a weekend day in Tokyo in Nov.
Sep 19th, 2005, 08:22 PM

My last comment didn't explain. In November, the Japanese celebrate Memorial Days where they honor their young children (about 3 to 5 years old) by dressing them in traditional costumes and taking them to Meiji Shrine. You might also see a traditional wedding taking place.
Sep 19th, 2005, 09:28 PM

Shichi go san (7 - 5 - 3) is on November 15. On the nearest day off to that, many parents take their boys (3 and 5) and girls (age 3 and 7) to a shrine to be blessed....basically it's a "grow up to be good kids" ceremony. We did this with our daughter. Meiji Shrine is very popular for this ceremony. It's also a great for the photo studios...families spend lots for professional photos for this occasion.

Try checking on hyperdia.com for train schedules. Although November might not be up, there aren't many changes at all between October and November, especially in the lines between Tokyo and Kyoto and Nara. This will also give you the cost of travel, so you can see if a pass is worthwhile for you.

Check and see if you can do an open jaw...into Narita and out of Kansai or Nagoya Centrair. This might be better for a short stay...wouldn't waste the time getting back to Narita, which is trip in and of itself, even from Tokyo.
Sep 21st, 2005, 05:53 AM

The trip to Nara is worth it!