Japan Itinerary question

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Japan Itinerary question

Hi there

We are heading to Japan for a week in September, arriving the 16th, departing the 23rd. We are from Australia and are going to see Madonna in Tokyo on the Wednesday night.

We have not been to Tokyo before and were wondering if it is worth spending all our time in Tokyo, or should we try to get over to Kyoto for a couple of days?

While in Tokyo we will probably just book a normal hotel room, but would like to experience a traditions Japanese room for one or two nights, and that's why we thought Kyoto might be a good option.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for a good area to stay in Tokyo, pls let me know.
We are in our 30's.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Lesa

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:36 PM

If you only have a week, going to Kyoto might not be worth it (it's really expensive to get there, far a way, and you need at least 3 days). There's so much to see and do in the Tokyo area you won't have trouble finding things to do. I recommend these areas: Kamakura (a must!), Shinjuku and Shibuya (city life), Roppongi is interesting...but beware!, Sumo season is on in Sept.-go see a match, Yokohama-Chinatown, Tsukiji Fish Market (be there at 5 a.m.), and Kawagoe has old traditional buildings and a candy street. Look for a hotel in Shibuya. Just search "Ryokan in Tokyo" for a traditional Japanese style hotel (Maybe if you go to Kawagoe, stay at a Ryokan there - but anywhere is fine for that. Just stay out of Ginza-it's expensive!!!). I hope that helps a little. Good luck!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM

Just to give you an idea, the trip from Tokyo to Kyoto via shinkansen (bullet train) is roughly 2 hours and 20 mins one way via the Nozomi and just under 3 hours via the slower (albeit relatively) Hikari and cost is about 13,800 yen, again one way. Kyoto is worth visiting but means you need to sacrifice some things in Tokyo. If you're into a packed itinerary, then go for it, if you prefer to more leisurely explore and absorb things, then probably better to focus on Tokyo. Kamakura is a good days trip out of Tokyo. Other places which are also one day trips would be Hakone to see MT Fuji and Nikko. All three places you can buy "Free Pass" tickets that cover transport from Tokyo to the location and usually covers unlimited travel on transport at the vicinity. saves you heaps!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information, maybe we are better sticking to areas around Tokyo from your posts.

Any suggestions on hotel/areas we should look for accomodation?
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:31 PM

You could spend a night at a traditional ryokan in the onsen area of Hakone.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 03:41 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Japan in May last year and we went to Tokyo and Kyoto (with side trips to himeji, Hiroshima etc). I have posted a trip report with links and pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/japan_tokyo.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Tokyo is a great city -- busy, lively, overstimulating. I do agree with others that a day trip or two out of the city is worth it. Hakone is lovely and there is a wonderful open air sculpture museum (and a great family run sushi restaurant on the same side of the street about 15m from the museum). Haven't been to Kyoto, so can't help you with that decision.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 01:38 PM

I LOVE Kyoto but agree that if you only have one week you should spend it all in Tokyo. There are several days trips you can take -- Nikko and Kamakura-- and many wonderful and different things to see and do.