Search

Touring from Nusa Dua, Bali

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2019, 06:57 AM
fb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touring from Nusa Dua, Bali

We will be starting a Viking Cruise from Bali in the spring. We plan on arriving several days early to see the area. We have Marriott Vacation Club Points, so will likely stay at the Marriott Nusa Dua. After a day or two at the beach to recover from jet lag, we would probably like to see some sights over the rest of the island. Suggestions?
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 04:47 PM

Nusa Dua is perhaps the least convenient place to stay if you want to do some sightseeing and experience some of Bali's unique culture.. You will want to go to the Ubud area for certain, but do look at a guidebook and see what else you would like to do/see/experience on Bali. Lonely Planet has perhaps the best guide to Bali.

Also, Nusa Dua was developed as a tourist enclave, so you will get little to no sense of the culture.
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 05:40 PM

Sure use up some points at the Marriott if you are just going to sleep, but then transfer to Ubud as suggested by Kathie.

Sri Ratih is an excellent value, I liked the upstairs rooms with balcony. A bit out of town in Penenstanan above the Blanco but actually I was able to walk back fairly easily (they have a a shuttle into town). Very good restaurant and room service. If you want to spend a lot more, it isn't far from Warwick Ibah which has huge rooms.

I loved a rice paddy walk with Su at Bali Bird Walk.. no reservation necessary unless you need binoculars. Followed by lunch at Murni's which was better than I expected. It is not just birds and her English is quite easy to understand...not an universal nor even a common trait. They also do custom tours. Lots of interesting temples right in and around Ubud, also the performances every evening. Often can walk to them. You'll also see recommendations for drivers if you want to go touring but I found plenty to see just walking around Ubud. Yes even the touristy monkey palace but heed the warnings about plastic bottles..I almost lost my camera into the ravine had not someone stopped a monkey from going for my pack.

Bali Bird Walk

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 31st, 2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jan 31st, 2019, 07:02 PM
kja

You might find some useful information about Bali in my trip report.
A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali

And if you decide to hire a driver while on Bali, consider Amik Bagoes:
www.picatourservice.com
Email : [email protected]
I recommend him wholeheartedly!
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 07:51 PM

I would have to agree that most of what you'll want to see and do in Bali is better accessed from the Ubud area. Can you use your Marriott points at Westin or Tribute Portfolio properties? If not, there are lots of inexpensive choice in Ubud town and in the surrounding countryside.

What are your dates for Bali? March 7 is Nyepi, quiet day, on which the whole island is closed down and before which there are wild torch lit processions featuring giantic demons. April 26-28 is the Ubud Food Festival, which is a terrific event to experience food from Indonesia and other parts of Asia/Pacific.

Otherwise, you'll find a temple ceremony somewhere most every day, especially at the full or new moon. Try not to spend too much time touring by car. Get out and wander through the rice paddies, to the local markets and small villages. Or arrange a bike tour. Take a Balinese cooking class, learn how to make temple offerings or batik. Visit the craft villages: weaving, carving, mask making, painting. See a dance + gamelon performance at Ubud Palace or in one of the nearby villages. Walk the Champuan Ridge trail. Walk from Legian to Petitenget at sunset. There are some very good restaurants in Bali now, mostly in Petitenget and Ubud. Make reservations.