Search

Tokyo with Limited Mobility

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo with Limited Mobility

Hello,

I am planning on going to Tokyo with my elderly mother in late April/Early May. We went to visit Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka in the mid 80s and I went to Tokyo again just a couple years ago. I was able to get around on my solo trip just by taking the subway everywhere, but this isn't an option for my mother. She is in her late 70s, had hip replacement on both sides a couple years ago, has sciatica, and she occasionally complains about her knees hurting. So she can't walk long distances and walks quite slow. But she really wants to see Japan again after hearing about my trip from 2 years ago. For this trip, we are thinking of just staying in Tokyo, but leaving other options open. We loved Kyoto, but we probably won't visit Kyoto again on this trip.

I need some suggestions on getting around the city with her. I am usually not a bus tour type of person, but it this something I should consider? Are taxis expensive in Japan?

We also plan on visiting Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea.

Also, she has too much pride to use a wheelchair. She occasionally uses a cane, but not all the time because she refuses to if she feels she really doesn't need to.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 03:44 PM
kja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you said she wouldn't use a wheelchair, but this resource on accessible Japan might prove of use even so:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2301.html

BTW, I had an elderly relative who absolutely refused a wheelchair IRL. She eventually agreed to use one when traveling -- once she realized how very much more she could see and experience if she indulged in that option just for the time she was away. Granted, it was a day into a trip that she was taking solo, but some of us had figured out a Plan B for her just in case, and she was glad to take us up on it.

Good luck and enjoy!