Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Early stages of planning trip to Japan (Tokyo and Kyoto)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a good deal with my frequent flyer miles for round-trip airfare to Tokyo Haneda from JFK in October. We will be arriving late on a Thursday night (around 10:15pm). We will have 10 nights in Tokyo (9 touring days). I'd like to split my time between Tokyo and Kyoto with maybe a day trip or 2 from Tokyo.

My thought is to spend our first night at a hotel very near Shinagawa Station. I am anticipating this first night will not be all that restful from the time difference. The next morning, we'd have breakfast and then catch a train to Kyoto. I'm figuring we'll get some additional sleep on the train. We'd try to catch something around 9ish so we are in Kyoto by noon (I understand trip is about 2.5 hrs).

We would then spend 3 nights in Kyoto, and return to Tokyo for the last 6 nights. Our return flight is very early, 6:40am.

1. Does this general itinerary make sense?
2. How do we most easily get from Haneda to a hotel near Shinagawa at around 11pm-ish, and about what would be the cost (need to get some yen in advance to be safe)? In this situation, we are looking for the quickest/easiest solution.
3. What area of Tokyo should we stay? Prefer not a times square-like overly touristy area, but near public transportation and some decent "local" restaurants and charm. We would like to keep hotel under $200 but anything up to $250 would be considered.
4. Should we spend the last night close to the airport? If not, what's the best transportation option to the airport, how much time and approx. cost (I guess this depends on where in Tokyo we stay)?

I was in Tokyo twice before for business, but that was 25+ years ago. My husband has never been. I've heard Kyoto is beautiful, and in the fall we may get some nice foliage.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

I meant 10 nights in Japan, not Tokyo.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 08:12 AM

In my trip last year, I spent 3 nights in Tokyo, 1 night in Hakone (for Mt. Fuji), and 5 nights in Kyoto. IMO, Kyoto is more beautiful than Tokyo, and it has more history and culture. However, there is enough to keep you occupied in Tokyo, especially if you're looking into taking day trips from the city. But it really depends on your interests. Let us know and we'll be able to give you more specific information.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

How did you get to Mt Fuji? When I was there for business years ago we did a day trip there and I remember it was an ordeal (almost every mode of transportation available-train, cable car, boat, bus). I think it must have been the most economical way at the time. It was quite the adventure, and I think it ended up being foggy so we could hardly see the Mt! I'm guessing there are easier ways.

At this point we are pretty flexible as to how we split up our time. I have an old friend who lives in Tokyo and she has already offered to take us on a day trip and around time (mentioned Hakone among other areas), hence the extra time there. It's still subject to change.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 08:42 AM

I think you are going to take the same AA flight I have a ticket for next Spring - quite inconvenient imo.....

Anyway you should be able to reach the Shinagawa area easily after you arrive:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2430.html
The Keikyu railway goes directly to Shinagawa.
I have stayed at the nearby Toyoko Inn - a business budget hotel very convenient....

I am planning to stay there the night before I leave on that ridiculously early plane - the first train from Shinagawa, about 5:15, gets to the airport in 15 or so minutes....

As far as fall foliage, it might be a bit early in October for Kyoto and Tokyo. However a good place nearby to Tokyo at that time is Nikko - a very interesting town - good for a day trip or overnight:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 08:58 AM

At this stage, I'd suggest that you focus on finding things/places that interest you most. Answers to that will inform your decisions on where to go, how long to stay in each place, etc. There is no need to make hotel reservations more than 2 or 3 months in advance, unless you visit a place that will have a festival going on or a very high-end ryokan.

A good idea would be to read trip reports of those who have visited Japan, then decide what's most interesting to you.

Also find out if you'll be in the country during a special event, such as the Takayama festival. Some people will make a special trip to Japan just for a festival like that one; others would prefer lower-key choices.

Only other general that I'd make is that I'd very much prefer at least a couple of nights outside the big cities. (Day trips are nice, but don't really begin to capture the Japanese sense of serenity of staying overnight in quieter places.)
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

yes AA! But for 50,000 ff miles, it's worth the inconvenience. I actually was looking at that hotel for the 1st night, maybe I should also consider it for the last. I also see it includes breakfast, which is convenient when on a tight schedule.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Looks like it's time to pull out the map and get a good guidebook, also rail info. If we were to stay in some of the other cities mentioned, does the 7 days railpass cover those areas?

Thanks.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 02:22 PM

By Mt. Fuji, I mean to specify the Hakone region. To get there, I took the train from Tokyo to Odawara, and from there it's pretty much a circuit you cannot get lost on as all the other tourists would be following the same route. Other day trips to consider from Tokyo could be Nikko, Kamakura, and Yokohama.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking since we arrive late the first night we'll spend that in Tokyo near the Shinagawa Station. Nights 2-4 in Kyoto, nights 5-8 in Tokyo, night 9 in Nikko, and our last night in Tokyo, not far from Haneda. SInce our flight leave so early, we'll most likely take a cab or car service to the airport.

My friend in Tokyo, offered to take us on a day trip to Mt. Fuji, so no need to spend the night there. I'm assuming we can take trains to the various other places.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 06:18 PM

I would go directly from Kyoto to Nikko (I did it last year) - it is a long trip - if you leave around 8:30 am you will get to Nikko at 1:30 pm and you do have to go into Tokyo and change trains...but then you will have to change hotels one time less and if you have a 7 Day JR pass you will get good value.....
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 07:47 PM

will continue to watch how you progress as we will be there about the same time..
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 05:46 AM

I agree with Mara about going to Nikko before you head back to Tokyo. Makes sense and you will save time and money with the 7-day JR pass. Just leave Kyoto early.

Last time I was out at Haneda I remember seeing two Toyoko Inns in the area. Taxi ride from Shinjuku Hyatt Regency to Haneda was around the 7500 yen mark IIRC.

Aloha!
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mara. I like your rec. I was planning on checking the train pass and routes to see what the best way is to travel between these cities.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Do Tokyo taxis take credit cards?
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 06:17 AM

Yes
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM
kja

There's a lot of good info at japan-guide.com

I found "New Japan Solo" the most useful of the 6 or 8 guidebooks I used when planning my trip to Japan.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 07:38 AM

Yes, I agree with kja, 'New Japan Solo' by Kanno and O'Keefe is excellent although not updated in many years - the other good one, 'Gateway to Japan', is out of print. I just got the new 'Japan by Rail' by Zarifeh, 3rd edition - it emphasizes rail travel and nearby attractions and is probably now the most up to date guidebook other than the usual suspects...lol...
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I am considering one of the Haneda airport hotels with shuttles for our last night (our flight leaves Haneda @ 6:40am).

We arrive at 10:15pm, and plan on heading to Kyoto early the next morning by train. Should we also consider a Heneda hotel upon arrival, or head to a hotel near Shinagawa station?

I'm looking at the Tokyo Inn's for these possibilities because they are reasonable, and we'll be there only briefly, so can manage in tight quarters. They also seem to get decent reviews.

Also, can Nikko be done as a day trip from Tokyo? I gather the train ride is about 2 hrs. I'm just trying to eliminate hotel changes and the time and inconveniences that go with them.

We'll probably go with the 7 day rail pass which should cover most of our travel within Japan. I have a friend who lives there and already has offered to take us to Hakone/Fuji by car for a day trip.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 01:11 PM

I spent two nights in Nikko but I came from Kyoto which is a long trip plus I was really interested in the historical significance of the Toshogu Shrine etc. as I had seen a Japanese historical drama about Tokugawa Ieyasu so there was a lot that I wanted to absorb.....but it can be done as a day trip, of course.

However, if you also go up to Lake Chuzenji that will take time and supposedly October is prime time for fall foliage there so it is very crowded and traffic is slow from what I read. I went in late November.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html

I have stayed, as I said above I think, in the Toyoko Inn in Shinagawa and one near Haneda and they were fine - but I am single traveler so don't need much space...

As far as whether you stay the first night near Haneda or Shinagawa your main issue might be changing your JR voucher into a JR pass - Haneda's office doesn't open til 11 am and Shinagawa's opens at 9 am...so that might be a consideration in your planning...
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en009.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -