Tokyo with a 7 year old

Search

Tokyo with a 7 year old

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo with a 7 year old

Hi! Our Spring 2020 trip to Borneo was rescheduled to spring 2021, and after we realized we are travelling over cherry blossom season ( just barely) we decided to make our stop-over city Tokyo! We will be there for one full day at the very beginning of April, and then 3.5 days in mid April on the way home. I am trying to figure out which neighborhood we want to be in (2 different ones for our two different time frames probably), and Asakusa looks right up our alley. I am concerned about transportation difficulties however, especially with a small child walking everywhere with us.... Here is our current list of sights to see, I am hoping you have neighborhood suggestions based on that! We are thinking maybe Shinjuku for our two nights in early April so we can go to the park to see the blossoms and do the Ghibli museum with that first day! We also have a bunch of credit from our original trip cancellation so we are also thinking we might book a private day or half day tour to knock off some of these sights that are more scattered about!

Ghibli museum
Robot restaurant
Boat ride up to Sensoji
Shibuya crossing
Animal cafe
Harajuku district
Disney (1 day)
TeamLab: Borderless museum
Street food tour
Other suggestions for a 7-year old girl?

I know those sights are all over the place, but we want to try to stay somewhere that is one or two connections away from most of them but still has some atmosphere! Thanks!
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 10:36 AM

I doubt that you will be granted entry to Japan next year without having to quarantine for 10-14 days. I doubt the robot restaurant will reopen by April.

But, let's suppose things were back to normal.

Staying in Shinjuku is a good idea. Going to Shinjuku Gyoen for cherry blossoms is an excellent idea. There is a bus from the west entrance of Shinjuku station to the park and I think the bus stop sign indicated it was for Shinjuku Gyoen. At least some of the hotels (Hyatt Regency, Hilton, otheres) in Nishi (West) Shinjuku have shuttles to the west side of the station.

The robot restaurant is in Kabukicho, not far from Shinjuku station. I took a taxi from the Hyatt Regency to Kabukicho. It was quick, efficient, and inexpensive (and it was raining). I told the lady who called the taxi forward that I wanted to go see Gojira (Godzilla). Go, go see the Godzilla head on the night you go to the robot show.

I took the boat from Asakusa to Hama Rikyu garden but did not find it interesting other than seeing the golden turd sculpture on the way.
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 09:46 PM

If you are travelling with little boys. I highly suggest toyota megaweb / amusment park, Odaiba.
same place where you can find the giant gundam
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 12:44 AM

See if you can squeeze in Tsukiji fish market for lunch, if you are into seafood. I loved the place when I was there 2 springs away.