Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Overweight,broke,50 and traveling with "hubs",19 year old son in college and 16 year old high school daughter-where can we go in the islands?

Overweight,broke,50 and traveling with "hubs",19 year old son in college and 16 year old high school daughter-where can we go in the islands?

Jan 7th, 2002, 05:58 PM
mumsy

Help! Can anyone steer us to a reasonable Carribean island for 5-7 days the latter part of February? Stats-the whole family is blonde(read-we have to wear 45 sunscreen),dad loves to sit and read; mom used to scuba dive and loves the beach; son is giving the family his last vacation and will do anything athletically; daughter is fully emerged into marine biology-taken courses,etc. and loves anything near the water.Since we pay college tuition,house needs repairs-we have decided that we should try an island in the Carribean.Caymans look terrific(I was there when there was just two hotels on 7 mile beach) but the rest of the family has never been. Prices($375 a night) seem ridiculous! "Calgon take us away".....but to where? Winner gets a postcard sent to them and we will have a toast to you while down there?

Jan 7th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Gini

we've got the place for you....San Salvador Island, Bahamas. Wandering Starr Villa and Coral Cove Villa are private homes about 200 feet from the water. Coral Cove has an opening the end of Feb. 3 BR, sleeps 6...$185 x night, divide that by 4 and its only $46.25...can't beat it! You would fly to Nassau then fly out on Bahamasair to San Salvador island. This is the island where Columbus landed. On the cover of Fodor's Bahamas 2002 is the beach right in front of Wandering Starr Villa. Super private!!! At the north end of the island is the Bahamian Field Station where college students come to study coral reef biology. Here is our site www.sansalvadorbahamas.com and others...www.sansalvadorisland.com Then just look up Bahamian Field Station for more reference points. email us for more information. [email protected]

Jan 7th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Steve

Try Club Med....

Check out Club Med. Their prices are cheap especially if you come out of NY or Miami (they have charters). THere are enough things to do that everybody will be happy.

Jan 8th, 2002, 04:49 AM
joan

What a funny title!

I think that the Bahamas may be a tad chilly in February. We recently went to an all-inclusive in Playa Del Carmen. Not my first choice (don't really like all-inclusives - friends of ours planned it), but it was inexpensive compared to many other places, and had "something for everybody" - lots of beach toys, activities (and the beach staff will try to make you play), great snorkeling and shoppping, food was pretty good too. We spent $500 per person, plus air, for one week.

P.S. Club Med has closed many of their Caribbean and Bahamas properties.

Jan 8th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Lori

Go to the Caymans.... you can get a condo for about $200 per night and then cook your own meals. Try Turtle Nest Inn,Victoria House and event Comfort Suites.

Also check www.caymanvacations.com for condo options.

Lori

Jan 8th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Linda

My suggestion is to check out the low price cruises. You all can stay in one room, a little cramped but totally ok. Just a little planning around getting dressed for dinner. We do it in shifts. All meals and entertainment one price. Drinks extra. Something to consider. Good Luck!

Jan 8th, 2002, 05:10 AM
bhama

The reason that the Bahamas are cheap during February is that the weather isn't always THAT warm. You might luck out and get some warm weather or you might not.

You should look into a package deal through a travel agent. I got a great deal from Penny at [email protected]. E-mail her and let her know what you're looking for and how much you'd be willing to spend. She'll take it from there.

Jan 8th, 2002, 05:17 AM
tivertonhouse

Try the Treasure Beach/South Coast area of Jamaica. The TB community Web site is treasurebeach.net You'll find a wide spectrum of accomodations (a 4 bedroom
beachside simple house at US$125/night for example,as well as more staffed,luxe properties all reasonably priced. Each of you would find something of interest (marine biologistwimming with manatees, fishing and tilapia industries;independent son: explorations by bike),Mom: deserted beach trips,snorkeling and massage,etc...).Check today's papers for latest flight discounts as well as cvoa.com, orbitz,sidestep,travelocity--the usual suspects.

Jan 8th, 2002, 05:28 AM
tivertonhouse

P.S. Jamaican 'body-beautiful standards' favor larger, more Reubenesque women.
Thin women are 'maaga' or scrawny. Regardless of the masseurs, masseuses,tropical steam baths and funky old spas in Treasure Beach to Milk River Bath area, you'd enjoy reveling in the fact that your
'overweight' status is deemed quite desirable and beautiful.

Jan 8th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Robert

Off of Abaco Island in the Bahamian outer islands is a cay called Great Guana Cay. On Guana there is a place called the Guana Cay Beach Resort. You get there by golf cart over bumby and coral rock "road" about 7 miles from where the ferry boat drops you off in the settlement town on the cay. There is also a scuba and snorkeling facility on the Dolphin Beach Resort premises, which is on the road to Guana Cay Beach Resort. Your wife and daughter may enjoy the dive and snorkeling sites around Fowl Cay. Unfortunately, the grouper population is being decimated throughout the Bahamas and elsewhere, so you may not see these fish, but there are other smaller reef fish to enjoy. The resort is laidback and plenty of palm trees to read under. Robert

Jan 8th, 2002, 08:57 PM
mumsy

Keep those informative opinions coming-I appreciate all help given. Is there any place in the islands that is not $200 a night during the week of Feb.15th through the 23rd? I know that you think we are being cheap in asking but the college tuition and marine biology trips bills are keeping us to inexpensive hotels(not dumps).Do you think that it isn't doable for this time of the year? Thanks-

Jan 9th, 2002, 04:43 AM
patty

Well, I am an overweight 40 something year old, broke with a house that needs help too, but we alway find some $$$ for vacation. I vote for the Dominican Republic. Cheap airfare from the east coast, friendly people, fun resorts and the kids love it as well (mine are 8 and 12).
Patty

Jan 9th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Leeann

You are looking at President's Week to travel and the prices are always higher during peak Holdiay travel. If you change your dates by a week you will see a difference in prices.

Jan 9th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Anon

Who in the world gets off enough time during "President's Week" to go on vacation. I don't even have off on Lincoln's or Washington's Birthday, or President's Day, let alone an entire week. Probably another European "holiday." Must be rough.

Jan 9th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Joanne

You might want to consider St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands. The weather will be warm and perfect at that time of year and the following two properties are quite nice, well located for your interests and reasonably priced. You'd need a car to see the island, but there is a great deal to do within walking distance - four restaurants/beach bars, horseback riding, swimming, snorkeling, scuba - so you would not need to rent one for the whole time, maybe just a few days. Also, you should be able to get there easily, depending on where you're flying from and airfares to St. Croix are really cheap right now.

http://www.thewavesatcanebay.com/page2.html
http://www.canebay.com/

Another alternative would be to stay in Christiansted, which has easy access to a number of good restaurants, shops, dive excursions, etc.; a beach and snorkeling are literally five minutes away by foot and ferry from any of the hotels in town. I can make recommendations if you're interested.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions, I'm happy to help promote the island. I have a fairly comprehensive list of web sites, as well as restaurant recommendations and "things to do" that I could e-mail you if you want. Incidentally, since you mention that you dive, St. Croix has some of the best (and least publicized) diving in the Caribbean according to friends who do a great deal of it. The two hotels above are walking distance from a spectacular shore dive.

Jan 9th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Penny

Mumsy,

While it's not the deep caribbean, you might consider Cozumel, Cancun or the Playa Car area's of Mexico are all very affordable. Most of the other places mentioned are quite expensive. And if you book Iberostar, Allegro, and the Real (pronounce reawl) properties you can utilize their sister properties for activities and meals. Something for everyone, considering Cozumel is a world class diving destination you might want to lean towards it. Your daughter would love the snorkeling there if she doesn't dive. Great beaches too, umbrella's for your 45 sunscreen selves, and you son would have fun too. Good Luck.

Jan 9th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Penny

Mumsy,

I'm sorry I forgot, but, don't discount the all inclusive programs in those areas. Real wallet saver.

Jan 9th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Laurie`

Here's a suggestion. An all-inclusive resort in the Dominican (Punta Cana) and fly from your nearest Canadian major airport (Montreal, Toronto or Vancover). If you e-mail me, I'll get you information on a travel agent here in Canada and they can quote you in Canadian dollars, which means that your U.S. dollar is worth 60% more than our dollar. All you have to do is get the Toronto or wherever, and even with a flight there, I'd bet you'd save quite a bit. We met many people on vacation from the U.S. who paid actually more in U.S. dollars for less time (5 days verses 7 days for us) than what we paid in Canadian dollars.
Our friends booked a trip to Punta Cana, (they're in Michigan, we in Ontario) from our agent in Canada and basically one of them is going for free.
Check it out...many Americans are not aware of the dollar difference.

Jan 9th, 2002, 05:55 PM
rebecca

Mumsy-
where are you traveling from- did I miss that?
I am in Boston and I know thru sunburst you can travel on a tues-come back following monday for great buys. Example - All inclusive-food and drink- 569 per person (plus fees, etc of about 100 I think).(On weekends it might be $100 per person more).
I have stayed at Samsara. On the cliffs of Negril. Beautiful spot. Nice people. Not luxury but not bad. The foods not 4 star but it's great for a family when a couple of the kids want to hang out on the cliffs at the hotel and swim or go in the pool- and you can go out to a resturaunt and not worring about the kids eating. They have a free shuttle to the beach and they are in walking distance of Ricks, a great jerk chicken spot, etc.
Playa del Carmen is a great place and has very inexpensive all inclusives and it's so inexpensive there you don't feel guilty about going into town a few times to have great meals.
Good luck and I hope you have a great time where ever you go!

Jan 9th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Debbie

At the risk of being accused of 'working for the mexican travel bureau and/or RIU hotels', this overweight boring insurance underwriter is going to throw her hat in with Penny's suggestions.
Definitely look into the all-inclusives along the Mayan Riveria or Cozumel. The RIU Tequila is not directly on the beach and is a little cheaper but you have access to a great long beach with enough watersports to keep your boy busy. The Iberostar on Cozumel might even be cheaper and if you are travelling from the U.S. the ai's are like next to nothing compared to what we pay in our high priced Canadian dollars. This leaves you plenty to do some off resort stuff that will satisfy all members of the family...should they want to get off the beach.
Please do not hesitate to email me direct for a trip report from last Feb trip to the Mayan Riveria.
Go Mexico!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO