Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Starwood Hotels... Which is a better choice?

Aug 31st, 2011, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone had any experience with the Sheraton or Westin in Tokyo with regard to location, rooms, etc. I will be traveling to Japan with my husband and two daughters this spring and am trying to apply my points whenever possible... Westin requires using far more, and I want to know if it will be worth it. Thanks!
Aug 31st, 2011, 09:13 AM

The Westin is a very nice hotel. Their website says it is a 7-minute walk from Ebisu station but it seemed longer to me. The concierge there gave me a great recommendation for a sushi restaraunt near the station.

The Sheraton Miyako webpage says it is a 4-minute walk to a subway station. It is in a southern district (Minato-ku) of the city, 2.4 miles from Shinagawa station, so not ideal, I think.

I can't compare the two because I haven't stayed at the Sheraton. In either case, if you are arriving by air, I suggest that you use the airport limo bus (especially the Westin).
Aug 31st, 2011, 01:20 PM

http://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/sher...-tokyo.en.html

Honest recent reviews Westin very good too just not worth

all spg.com points usually get free club floor even suites

sometimes if you kindly ask sometimes abroad only the managers

know they are required to give you best available even

suites request SPG so if you get blank stares on check in

always ask to speak to a manager...squeaky wheel gets the

grease but I always do it very kindly and respectfully

but assertively.
Aug 31st, 2011, 02:48 PM

if available try to use cash and points... not all starwood hotels do it however...

pick the hotel which is nearest to the major things you wish to do while there or near to easy transportation
Aug 31st, 2011, 03:42 PM

We have stayed at the Westin on points once for two nights and have visited the Sheraton and surrounding neighborhood several times.

Both are great places to stay in Tokyo especially on points. I like the neighborhood around the Sheraton better than the Westin's as there are more restaurants, bars, small shops and the like.

The Westin does have a mall right across the street and it is actually attached to the hotel via the underground subway but the shops and places to eat are all a little higher end alibi more expensive.

As mrwunrfl mentions above the entrance to the subway trains are about a seven minute walk out the front door.....but thats just to the entrance doors. You then walk underground for another five minutes or more before you reach the train platforms and that's if you use the movable walkways.

Bottom line is both places are great on points and although I liked the Westin I think I mentioned in a trip report I did that I wouldn't stay there again unless it was on points but would definitely stay at the Sheraton especially if on points. The limosine bus from Narita is the best way to get to both hotels imho. Get the limosine/metro pass deal.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

Aloha!
Sep 4th, 2011, 03:16 PM

I hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread with a question about travelling from Narita to the Westin. I've read a lot of suggestions indicating that the best way to make the trip is either the limousine bus or the train. If I take the limousine bus (which seems a bit simpler, albeit a longer journey), will there be a toilet on the bus? I understand that journey can take almost 2 hours - and 2 hours might be too long for me. Thanks
Sep 5th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Yes there is a toilet on the limobus