Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

TOKYO JAPAN What kind of thoughts do fodorites have about the place?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in opinions from people who have been to Japan. What is the country like? Everybody keeps telling me it is so expensive and there is nothing to see there. What is Tokyo like, is it just another city, or is it worth going to? Thanks for any feedback.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:47 PM

it's wicked expensive but an exciting city.

Oh ya fairly hard too get around japanees tend not too speek as much english as many in other asian counties..
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:29 PM

It seemed to me that the Japanese outside of Tokyo are happier, as was I. Prices are lower and it is a beautiful country. I found that it was quite easy to get around the country, easier than navigating the Tokyo subways. Japan is a first-rate, first world, wealthy country. Thoroughly modern but traditional, with a rich cultural heritage. Safe. I am tempted to say that Tokyo is just another big city, but it is not because it is Japanese.

Anyway, why do you ask? What are you looking for?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 10:24 PM

Your question is interesting, but I am not sure how to answer since I don't know if are you asking because you perhaps are thinking of visitng. Or maybe going to work/live? Or just happened to want to know what it's like in general?

I live in Tokyo and wanted to let you now how I feel. People always ask me what my favorite place in Japan is. Without a second thought I always quickly reply "Tokyo", to their surprise, and I wouldn't want to live in any other city here. But, I am a big city person. I feel abosolutely at home here. Speaking the language helps, of course, as in any country.

It can be very expensive if you go that route,i.e., staying in first class hotels, eating in those hotels, dining in very fancy restaurants, and shopping in department stores. But you generally get quality service and goods--so it's not solely just price, as you need to think of the quality that comes along with what you are getting in Tokyo.

If you go to ordinary stores, restaurants and even fast food, it's not all that expensive. In fact, visitors tell me they were surprised that some of the prices weren't as bad as they were expecting. There's no tipping anybody, so that's doesn't add up on your bill.

You can drink the water and eat anywhere without fear of getting sick. It's extremely safe--enough so to generalize if I may--and say anywhere and at any time of the day. You don't worry about muggers, theives, or people trying to rip you off or beg from you.

The people are honest and friendly if you need help. English is kind of spoken, and you can probably find somebody to help if you look around enough. In that respect it's not as easy to be understood, as in Singapore, Hong Kong, and other places.

The transportation system is great, you can get to where ever you want by public transport. But you will need to do some studying of the route maps and place names on your own beforehand. There are so many railway/subway lines, it's not as easy as in some cities that have only a couple lines to manage. But that is what makes Tokyo fun to get lost in.

As far as "nothing to see", then that is up to what you want to make of that statement. There's still enough traditional to satisfy: temples, parks, cultural events, etc. And just outside of Tokyo are Nikko, Hakone, Kamakura for great day trips. And all of these places are extremely well kept and prevserved.
It's truly modern and extremely up-scale in some areas too--brand-name European goods galore.

But even something simple like going to the basement of a department store can be exciting to see, with all the food stalls and fancy items (some mouthwatering and some defintely not). And for gadets, cameras, appliances, there are huge stores and areas of Tokyo that are incredible to see.

I've said enough, but there is more I can say. Maybe you can get some books (guide books) or look on websites too to try and figure out if it's a place you'd like. But I find it to be quite fascinating and think Tokyo and other places in Japan such as Kyoto, in particular, are definitely worth a visit someday.

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback. I am asking this question bacause I am thinking of visiting Japan and everyone is telling me that there are other more interesting places to visit which are not nearly as expensive. I should mention that the people who are telling me not to go have never visited Japan.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 10:13 AM

I agree with Babiron. I've only been to Japan once and will be going back again later this month (counting the days!). I think Japan is a fascinating place to visit, especially Tokyo, with its history and modernization so uniqely juxtaposed. I have never heard anyone complain that there is nothing worth seeing/doing in Japan!

Tokyo is an amazing city with its own flair for life--from the young, cutting-edge trends to traditional cultural sites. And I always enjoying seeing how the Japanese take Western trends, like platform shoes, and add their own sense of style. All this makes for very interesting people watching!

I would recommend a visit to Tokyo in a heart beat! Besides, I wouldn't trust the advice of those who have never been to Japan...