Tokyo hotels, Century Hyatt or Keio Plaza Intercontinental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am doing some very preliminary planning for a Japan trip. Have been to Tokyo before so I am comfortable with the subway and train system, but have never stayed in the Shinjuku area. I am considering either the Century Hyatt or Keio Plaza. Both are in my price range and seem comfortable. Are these hotels convenient to mass transit, how far from the subway lines? How were the accomodations? Any insight to these properties would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:14 PM

I can only answer for the Century Hyatt, which is a vast, run-of-the-mill business hotel, albeit with the usual high levels of service you expect in Japan, and extensive facilities. It runs a shuttle service to Shinjuku station, but you can also walk. It is indeed comfortable, but unmemorable.

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:37 PM

Curiousgeo, do you need to stay in Shinjuku?

I remember people praised Hotel Seiyo Ginza (in Ginza area I suppose). Was it you Peter? If it is in the same price range and Curiousgeo,if you can stay in other area than Shinjuku, it might be worth checking out Seiyo Ginza. Ginza area is a convenient location for subway lines.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:19 PM

Both myself and others have recommended The Seiyo Ginza, but it would be about triple the price, I'd guess without looking anything up.

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:15 AM

Ok, I have just checked Ginza Seiyoken's web site. Their rack rate for a superior room with a queen bed (their cheapest room) is 42000 yen but their internet booking offers the same at 36000 yen. How much would you have to pay for those hotels in Shinjuku?
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi PeterN H and kite, thanks for your responses. The rates quoted at the Keio Plaza are 21,500 and the Century Hyatt 22,000 JPY. No particular reason to stay in Shinjuku other than quality and price of accomodations and ease of transportation access. I have previously stayed in the Akasaka and Hibiya areas but didn't think I could afford to this time around.

By the way I checked the rants and raves section and someone said the Century Hyatt is connected by a covered walkway to the Shinjuku station.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:07 PM

I stayed once at the Keio Plaza and found it to be very comfortable with relatively spacious rooms and good service. It was a bit of walk to Shinjuku station. You may also want to look into the Hilton. There isn't a lot on that side of the station except for the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building. A hotel on the busier side of Shinjuku which I stayed at and can recommend is the Shinjuku Prince Hotel. They offer decent Internet rates and it is within a few minutes walk of Shinjuku Station.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 07:49 AM

In late March/early April of 2002, my daughter and I stayed at both of these hotels. Our first choice was the Keio Plaza; we booked over the internet and received a really good rate (less than half the rack rate) that included breakfast. This rate was only available through the end of March so we booked for the first two nights of our trip to Japan; we then travelled to Beijing for a week; we stayed at the Century Hyatt for our last two nights in Asia. We were able to get the senior citizens rate at the Century Hyatt without breakfast for about the same price as we paid for the Keio Plaza. The Century Hyatt did automatically add a 10% service fee to the rate as a gratuity.

The hotel staff members at both hotels were wonderful and helpful. Both hotels were served by the Friendly Limousine company to and from Narita. Both hotels were close to the Shinjuku Station. We used the Century Hyatt's complimentary shuttle service but walked to and from the Keio Plaza via the underground walkway system; you can also walk to the Hyatt through the underground passage(the exit is next to City Hall). If walking the Keio Plaza is closer. We did discover a subway station adjacent to the Century Plaza (our last day) that was a minor station.

Our room at the Keio Plaza was on the 40th floor and had an amazing view. We had two twin beds, a table with two chairs, a desk with chair, mini bar, safe, closet with terry cloth robes and four pair of slipper, a television with CNN, vanity with hair dryer, and a coffee/tea maker. Our bathroom had a fancy toilet with seat warmer, bidet, water warmer, nozzle, odor remover, and other gizmos; it also had a nice tub/shower; toiletries included toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, and a sewing kit. Complimentary breakfast coupons were redeemable at four restaurants; we tried two but all seemed to offer the same selections of food; the atmosphere and decor were unique for each restaurant. Breakfast choices included a variety of western and japanese foods: croissants, rolls, yogurt, cereal, fruit, bacon, eggs, juices, coffee, tea, French fries, rice, tofu, soup, fish, and lots of other stuff.

The lobby was nice and elegant. We discovered that even the toilets in the lobby and restaurant areas had the fancy toilets with the assortment of gadgets.

Our room at the Century Hyatt had two twin beds, a mini bar, desk, television, table and chairs, coffee/tea maker, robes, and slippers. Our bathroom had a standard western toilet with no special features, tub/shower, hair dryer, and toiletries including razors, shampoo, lotions, and toothbrushes. The view from our room was also amazing!

Our senior rate did not include breakfast and we did not eat at the restaurants so we cannot comment on these features.

The lobby of the Century Hyatt was truly spectacular with huge crystal chandeliers. The public bathrooms included standard western-style toilets.

Both hotels were wonderful. I would base my decision on the best room rate available.

PLMK if you need more info.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 09:59 AM

I stayed at the Keio Plaza in October 2002. It's a nice place. The previous poster, Dorothy01 says it all.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your responses, especially Dorothy01 for your detailed report on the two hotels. Its been a great help.