Tokyo for 1 day?

Search

Tokyo for 1 day?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo for 1 day?

I have a stopover in Tokyo on route to Hokkaido - my flight arrives at Narita - 4.45pm - too late to connect the same day. I can leave from Haneda airport at either 1pm or 5.35pm the next day. Does anyone have any ideas about a hotel or what I could see insuch a short time? I have never been to Japan before and would like to see the fish markets. Thanks for any assistance. Ros
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:46 AM

The airport is about 1.5 miles from Tokyo. If I were you I'd spend a day in Narita rather than wasting all that time traveling back and forth.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:00 AM

oops - angel must mean that the airport is 1.5 HOURS from Tokyo!
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:43 AM

oops is right - heck I can walk that far.
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

I leave from Haneda - I believe this is 2hrs by bus from Narita and 20mins from Tokyo. Thought as I had that much distance to travel I might as well see some of Tokyo but am open to any advice given. Thanks Ros
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM

I don't know where you are traveling from or how long your flight is but if it were me (and I know its not) I would either take the Limosine bus into Shinjuku, Ginza or Tokyo station area check into the hotel of your choice and see the sights that evening.

Then get up early the next morning to see the fish market and a few other sights via the subway before you would have to leave and catch the flight from Haneda.

What you can accomplish depends on which flight you take, the later flight would give you a few more hours.

If you do catch the bus make sure you take advantage of their special where you can get an all day subway pass for an extra 100 yen.

You can also take the Shinkansen from Tokyo station to Sapporo the same day you get in after your flight.

The trip would entail 2 transfers(not long at all) and an overnight train from Morioka and cost about 53600 yen but would get you into Sapporo at about 9:00 am and you could see a whole bunch of Japan from the ground view saving you the hotel and air fares.

Lots of options!

Aloha!
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM

I can't specifically address the fish markets but I can make some other comments from experience. One, you can stay at any of the 'airport hotels' and spend the evening and/or the next partial day in Narita. They have a temple and other sights, restaurants, and stores to occupy you.

Also, from the airport one can take half day tours - especially for travelers in your position. One could take an early train to Ueno Park and do the area around the park - including the National Museum. The train, not being subject to traffic as are the buses, etc. would be reliable to return to Narita in time for your flight.
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:59 PM

If you are flying into Narita and connecting out of Haneda, it would be more convenient to stay Ginza or Shinagawa area. You can get to Haneda on Keisei train connections.

The arrival time is not that late, so you can get a dinner in Tokyo--definitely more choice than Narita. You can get some skyline from one of the high-rise buildings or neon lights across Ginza or Roppongi.

How much of sightseeing you can do depends on which flight you take, but even with 1pm departure, you can still get to see Tsukiji fish market. Though I'm more tempted to go for an early morning walk through Meiji Shrine and Omote-Sando.
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

I am flying direct from Brisbane Australia. The flight is only 9 hrs and I'm in the same time zone so no dreaded jetlag! I am travelling late July. Thanks for all of these suggestions - they give me lots of research to do. Ros
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:24 AM

That changes things. Somehow I assumed you were flying into and out or Narita.
If you are flying out of Haneda, I'd go to Tokyo and leave from Haneda on the later flight. That would give you some time to see Tokyo.
The neon in Ginza is wonderful. I was surprised, walk around that night. Then get up early and walk to the fish market. We stayed at the Marriott and it was only about 10 minutes to walk to the market.

From there it depends on where you're going next.
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:32 PM

which Marriott in Tokyo did you stay at?

Thanks,

Kate
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:02 AM

Watch this awesome video (link below). The video was shot in these locations: Roppongi, Shibuya, and Harajuku. But, I am not sure why he left out Shinjuku.

http://stage6.divx.com/TOKYOMENTARY-...-Tokyo-(Normal)

Old May 31st, 2007, 04:27 AM

The Marriott in Ginza.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 12:00 PM

bookmarking.