help with bank transfer to Thailand

Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

help with bank transfer to Thailand

So, we decided to go with an awesome villa in Koh Samui with Samui Holiday homes. We need to do a bank transfer. We were given all the info by Daniel there. I actually posted on Trip Advisor because we thought it was odd way to do it with an upfront paynment. I was reassured by the postings of others who had done it the same. Problem is Samui Holday says we don't need an IBAN or routing number, not widely used in Asia and both mine and my friends bank say yes we do. Anyone experience this before. Thanks
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:39 PM

Normally we use the "SWIFT" code for international bank transfer in and out of Thailand and if Samui Holiday has given you their SWIFT code then it will go through. Are they asking for US$ or Thai Baht. If it's in Baht transfer Baht from your end and you can save about 7%.

Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM

routing numbers are only for us banks...it is federal reserve routing numbers....some foreign banks have them also if they have offices in usa....i don't think your bank knows what they are doing...

i often send travelers checks to them if they are hard to satisfy...
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:40 PM

In general you would need:

Bank name:
Bank branch:
SWIFT code:
Account number:
Account name:
Currency / Amount:

The SWIFT code is usually an 8 letter code, first 4 identify the Bank and last 4 location which includes TH, often though it is 4 letters followed by THBK ( as most if not all sort through bangkok, hence that code ), so if they have given you something like that then that is the SWIFT code.

Really who you are sending it to should give you those precise details.
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel really dumb on this matter but I'm just not familiar with practices over there. My friends bank which is Northfork was insisting a routing number is needed.I had a feeling that Thailand banks did not have routing numbers but my friend was insistant her bank was correct. I do have all the other info. I will talk to my bank ,B of A hoping they are better informed.
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM
ComfyShoes

laartista, Here is wishing you a great trip to Thailand.

Aug 25th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Oh, thanks so much Comfy! I leave this week, can't wait! Nice to see you again have been slacking on the Euro board lately. LOl. Have you been to Thailand? If so any last minute advice or tidbits?
Aug 25th, 2007, 12:48 PM
ComfyShoes

Well, I remembered you might leave one of these days. No, never been to Thailand so no advice except have a great time when possible, and laugh off the inconveniences (it ain't Spain, as you know). Actually, I know you will love it.