Narita to Tokyo Day Trip

Search

Narita to Tokyo Day Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Narita to Tokyo Day Trip

Hello - I have read multiple topics on this subject, but I am looking for some specific advice here for my particular situation. I and a traveling companion will arrive at Narita airport at 6:45AM. Our departure is at 5:00PM

1 - What train should we take from Narita into Tokyo? How much can we expect it to cost?

2 - Where do we go to? What station do we get a ticket to or get off at?

3 - How do we get back from Tokyo to Narita?

4 - What time do we need to leave Narita in order to get back to the airport by say, 3PM for our 5PM flight?

5 - What else should we know? I'm just a bit nervous. Thanks!

Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:44 PM

The Narita Express takes just over an hour from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station. It costs 3000 yen. To allow for customs clearance, ticket buying and waiting for the train (the first is at 7:44) you might be at Tokyo station around 9. You'd have to depart Tokyo station for Narita before 2:00 to get to Narita on time.

Of course, you may not want to go to Tokyo station at all. If I had 5 hours in Tokyo, I might go to the Harajuku/Omotesando area and Meiji shrine.

You'd only have 4 - 5 hours to explore, which isn't much at all. It would be best for you to have a specific plan as to where you want to go and what you want to see.

Use hyperdia.com to see the train times and prices. Spending the time in Narita town might be less stressful and is just as interesting I've heard (we don't use Narita airport very often so I've never had the chance to explore Narita town).
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank You KimJapan - is the 3000 yen price for one-way or round trip?

We are pretty set on getting to Tokyo and out into the rush and culture shock...since we have never been to Asia at all!

Thanks again!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:16 PM

3000 yen one way. for Narita Express. There are other trains you could take depending on your destination in Tokyo. The time and price will differ.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:17 PM

The 3,140 yen fare is one-way on the Narita Express. Or 3000 for hotel buses.

There are Keisei trains for less.

All your questions are probably answered here:
www.mgnewman.com/narita/index.html
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:18 PM

Hi Kim!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:26 PM

Good Morning! We're planning our Christmas/NewYear trip this morning. I think we'll go back to Bali...
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the link, but as I mentioned, I have read many threads on this very topic and the infamous Mike's webpage is designed for people who want to stay in the vicinity of Narita - we want to go to Tokyo and I have yet to find helpful information on that page for our goal.

But what is a Keisei train? Where do I get one? Where do they go? How much do they cost?

Thanks in advance!-
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:06 AM
emd

There is info on Keisei and rest of this at this part of mike newman's page:
http://www.mgnewman.com/narita/narita.transport.html
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:19 AM

rsimper,

It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. After you clear customs, look for signs pointing to trains. The trains take about an hour into Tokyo.

To make it simple, buy a ticket at the first ticket counter you find advertising trains going into Tokyo. There is not that much difference in cost or time involved. The more you pay, the faster the train, basically. It will be clear whether you are at a Keisei or Narita express counter. The signs will be in English, and the agent will speak some English. They will sell you a ticket for the next train, whatever time you arrive.

I don't know if they sell round trip tickets there. If not, when you arrive in Tokyo, buy a ticket right then for your return. You need to be back at around 3, so you don't want to chance not getting a seat. Go to a ticket window and someone will speak some English.

Once you are at Tokyo station, just go outside. There are lots of interesting sights and lots of shops and restaurants out there. You are within walking distance of the Ginza as well.

You can take the subway from this same station to anywhere else in Tokyo, but make sure you allow time to find your way back!

Another option is to take a train into Narita town. It is lots cheaper, and much closer. To be honest, you will not even know you aren't in Tokyo. It just looks like a neighborhood of Toyko.
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

It has been suggested to me that I should be going to Shinjuku or Shibuya - is this good advice?

Again, thank you all for your advice
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

emd - thanks for that link - i had not found that page on Mike Newmans site before (not for lack of trying!)
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:42 AM

both are great places, but i like shibuya better. they have a large shopping area just across the train station.

btw, don't forget to complete the shore pass before leaving the immigration area,(get it from the fa) or you will pay 2000y departure tax on your return for your connecting flt.
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:56 AM
emd

Shinjuku and Shibuya are on the western side of Tokyo. I'm not sure I'd spend the extra time to go there. What do you want to see, skyscrapers and some department stores? That is basically what you get around Shinjuku. Shibuya has a bit more eclectic shopping right around the station, as mentioned, but is also a major commuter center and is pretty crowded. I gather that you've never been to Tokyo before, right? If it was me, I'd either take the advice to go into Narita and explore and have a nice lunch (haven't been there, but if lcuy says it is like any neighborhood of Tokyo, I'd believe her) which is closer and easier to get to and would cause less angst about the timing and proximity, or if I was really deadset on going into Tokyo proper, I'd pick Asakusa and go to lovely Senjosi temple and the shopping street leading up to it, as that also puts you close to the Sumida River for some strolling there (although I don't know where you are going to or where you will have been, maybe you'll see alot of Asian temples in those places). But I would be angsting about the timing w/the choice of going in to Tokyo. Just the transportation part of ir is time consuming. I would want to be back at Narita by 2 to 2:30 p.m. if it was me. Even 3 p.m. just doesn't give you alot of time when you are looking at an hour each way into and out of Tokyo. But that is just me.