Reload this Page >

Tips for low budget travel in Thailand.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:31 PM
Kellen

I am a student traveler on a tight budget planning a trip to Bangkok and most of the Southern cities in Thailand for two weeks in December. I am seeking advice on cheap places to stay, good places to eat, and any suggestions on some spectacular places to visit.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:44 PM
Tangata

If you have not done so already, have a look at the Lonely Planet site. That has masses of information on the question of low cost accommodation. <BR><BR>

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:35 PM
jorge

if your staying in bangkok for a week look for 1 week deals. at some hotels or apartments. <BR>try this site out it may help, I just found it a second ago. while trying too help you out..<BR>http://www.backpackbangkok.com/

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:48 PM
Kat

How about bidding for your hotel rooms? See the discussion board for tips on amount to bid for:<BR><BR>http://pub34.ezboard.com/bpricelineasiadiscussions

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:08 PM
Mike

You can eat cheap most anywhere in Thailand if you are willing to settle for something less than 2-5 star restaurants. Anytime I go to Thailand I eat at the small street stalls and restaurants along the road or alleys. In Bangkok one of my favorite places is the food stalls or alleys around Siam Square. Just look at the alleys between shops or follow the students. I can eat a great lunch and dinner there for US$1. That is for both lunch and dinner. The food is great and sanitary but you will need to point at what you want since most of the people do not speak much English. Also at Siam Square go to the food court and the MBK(Mahboonkrong) shopping mall. There is a cheap food court at the top of the mall.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Margo

22 baht for a 'great dinner', I think you mean for a bowl of basic food! On the sanitary side you might wonder what 'facilities' the people cooking the food use, it's probably a gap in the wall further along the soi. On the budget tips do look for places that Thai people stay at, many of the guesthouses in LP and such offer very basic accommodation but there is better to be found.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Mike

In response to Margo,s note below, the food stalls at Siam Square that I mention tend to be licensed and have a sanitary certificate displayed. All of the students eat there as do many business people in the area. Most of the food has been precooked and is and displayed in trays and you point at what you want. You get two dishes served over rice. The portions are not as large as what you would get in the US but it is good and filling. In addition you get to eat with real Thai people. You can always go to a nice air conditioned restaurant but for cheap and good food I eat here everytime I go to Bangkok.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Harzer

I have survived 25 years of eating at food stalls and living in budget accommodation when holidaying in Thailand. Go for it!<BR><BR>Travel is also cheap in Thailand. Use the regular buses, share taxis and trains (third class is OK in the day time). $20 will get you from BKK to anywhere in the country.<BR><BR>Lonely Planet, The Rough Guide etc are very helpful in working out an itinerary, unfortunately. I still hanker for the old days when you were really on your own - much more fun!<BR><BR>Harzer

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 03:59 PM
jorge

if the food stalls in the soi's don't seem that great try the cafeterias in the malls and department stores. a meals go's for about 50 baht.. and tehy have pictures wich you can point at if you don't know what too choose..<BR><BR>NOTE you buy vouchers fist then pick your food and drink..

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Graeme

I travelled on a budget in Jan. and Feb. and I would say that the Lonely Planet guide is all you need. Trust me, it will not be hard to find cheap places to stay. Although, Koh Samui and Phuket can are more touristy and the prices can be higher. It depends on what you mean by cheap. For example, for basic accomodations with hot shower in Chiang Mai I paid 150 baht a night - a great price. For similar accomodations on Chaweng beach in Koh Samui (the busiest beach) it was 700 baht.