Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Tips for living in Hong Kong for a year?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:07 AM
Michelle

Hi there!
I, along with five other girls from Nova Scotia, Canada are travelling to Hong Kong at the end of this month to teach English for a year. Although we are extremely excited about the whole experience, we are also a little nervous. We are all curious about little things such as: the price of things (food, toiliteries, clothing, laptops, etc....); the amount of culture shock to expect; what to bring; things to be aware of; the best places to live if we were living in North Point, Hong Kong Island; and general things to remember while in Hong Kong.......please, if you've been to Hong Kong recently or know of someone who has, we'd love to hear some responses! Thanx!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:19 PM
Deepa

Well, I having been living in HK for about 6 years. In general, it is a great city, but it is expensive (altho one would expect most salaries to be commensurate with expenses). All the items you mentioned would be at least 30-50% more expensive than Canada. Culture shock - not really. HK is a modern city that offers all modern conveniences. Infact, North Point is very well connceted by the MTR (the mass underground rail system). You will definately encounter some language problems. Other than that, it is a very safe city and has a lot to offer. If you need any more help, feel free to email me directly. Welcome to Hong Kong!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:36 AM
Ada

Hi Michelle,
Like Deepa has said, HK is a very metropolitan city. I think it is more crowded than NYC! There is a big non-Chinese population (Filipino maids & others), especially on HK Island. A popular night life/ hangout for many westerners/ foreign-born Chinese is Lan Kwai Fong in Central. Most people, except for elderly speak at least some English. One thing I find very easy to adapt to compares to other Asian countries is the street names, esp. on HK island side, because many of them are in “English” like “Hennessy Rd”, “Nathan Rd”. There will be a little cultural shock, but I see that even by going to a different state in the US! HK is a pretty international city. It is very hot and humid in the summer, and “winter” seems to be non-existent in recent years. If you wear US size S or M, you can find great buys for clothes there! People are quite into fashion trends there. Food is great there, and I think you can find many cheap eats. Good luck with your teaching job!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 10:55 PM
Mike

I am an American who has lived in HK for 2 years. As the others say HK is a very big busy city. It is a 24 hour city. You should have no trouble getting around as most signs are in Chinese and English. You can get most toiletry items here that you can get in North America but you may not be able to get a certain brand if you are brand conscious. Housing expense is the largest portion of most peoples budget. Most foreigners live on the HK side which is the most expensive. The Kowloon side is cheaper as you move closer to the new territories. Most places are very small. I would recommend that you try to find a place near the MTR or bus stop so that you will be near public transportation. You can eat cheap here if you are willing to go to local restaurants. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Have fun!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:55 PM
jorge

just bring money and lots of it.. like I say HONG KONG is a great city but for the rich....

the cost of food, clothes, and general items are the same as the USA and Canada, but the cost of housing and night life is insane!!..