Tipping in Cambodia

Search

Tipping in Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping in Cambodia

Maybe I've been in China too long along with Thailand. I arrived in Siem Reap yesterday and when the young man brought my luggage to the room, he showed me the AC, etc. then stood there. I thanked him. He stood some more and finally asked if there were any questions he could answer. I said no and opened the door. He still stood there and then finally left. Was I supposed to tip him? And at dinner last night, I noticed a number of people leaving money on the table -- some appeared to be locals. What are the rules for tipping here, different from China and Thailand? Oh, and I have noticed that most things I read about tour guides at Angkor Wat do suggest adding a tip.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 05:32 AM

My experience in Cambodia was that you tip, and if you didn't your were informed that tipping was expected. At least that was the experience I had with my tourguide. Unfortunately I don't remember what I tipped her.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 05:37 AM

even if tipping is not the custom in some asia places, i do as i would normally do at home....in thailand certainly i tip but perhaps at 10% and the same for cambodia, laos and other places....of course i leave little or no tip if there is any problem with the service...
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 05:37 AM

i'm sure my comments will open a whole can of worms, especially from OZ
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 11:45 PM

I'm from OZ, and I always tip.. US$ 1.00 to $2.00 or so for bags, and I generally leave a waitress a tip for good service in a restaurant. However, I dont work on the 15% to 20% that they seem to expect in USA.

People in Asia are on very low wages, they don't get the holidays that westerners get, so, I do try to give something for good service. Its always appreciated..