Tibet Tips

Aug 11th, 2008, 01:57 AM
morgen

Tibet Tips

I am happy to share my information for those who are interested in Tibet travel. Hope it useful.

1.Can I travel to Tibet by myself?
No. According to China's regulation, individual travel to Tibet is not allowed. You have to join a group and we can help you find one at any time.

2.What are the hotels like in Tibet?
Tourism in Tibet is in its infancy and the number of 5 star hotels is quite limited. The newer hotels have been built away from the city center to protect the city's history and environment. These hotels have central heating which is used in winter but no cooling is available in summer. We would still warn that the facilities and service standard may not be as you would expect from a hotel with this rating in other parts of the world. Older hotels located in the city have a good location but will not provide the level of comfort of the newer hotels and may not have any central heating. The level of service and facilities may be quite basic. Staff will probably not speak much English. Hotels in small cities and the Everest Base camp are very basic. They will usually have a shared bathroom with squat toilet.

To be continued

Aug 11th, 2008, 06:48 AM

Spam. And also containing false information.
Aug 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Morgen, as a travel agent, I'm sure you know that point number 1 is incorrect. It has been quite a while since only group travel to Tibet was permitted.
Aug 11th, 2008, 06:56 AM

So can anyone tell me what the actual law is? I had heard that you have to go with a Chinese tour guide (or at least purchase a ticket to a tour) Can you leave the tour group and go off on your own while in Tibet?
Aug 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Here's a recent article from the NY Times that may help

http://travelqa.blogs.nytimes.com/20...travel-permit/
Aug 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
morgen

Hi, Dear all,
The latest news is solo traveler could visit Tibet, but it is not easy to apply Tibet Permit. It takes long time to get it. Travel policy in Tibet changes. So no one could tell the latest news in an early time. I just share information I could get, but reserve right to explain.
Morgen

Aug 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM
morgen

Tibet Tips continued:

3.When is the best time to visit Tibet?

The best time to travel to Tibet is between May and October. The weather during other time is quite cold and makes sight seeing more difficult. The difficulty created by this short season is that it can be very crowded making travel and hotel reservations difficult and the quality of guiding services erratic.

4.Could you give me some advice on clothing when traveling in Tibet?

Temperature differs dramatically between daytime and night. Lhasa, the capital city, could have a temperature during daytime of around 10-25 Centigrade, but at night, temperature may plummet to 0 Centigrade or lower. You are advised to bring thick, warm coats when traveling Tibet. The roads are very dusty so you may wish to consider wearing dark colored clothing.

To be continued

Aug 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
morgen

Dear all,
Hope Tibet info is useful.

5.Do I need a guide when I go to Tibet?

The Chinese government requires that all travelers be acompanied by a tour guide at all times so that travelers' safety can be maximized.

6.Can I travel Tibet with my child?

Tibet may not be an ideal destination for young Children. The climate and generally harsher conditions in Tibet may not be ideal for young children. The sights and attractions are not those which children like to visit and facilities will be very primitive. If you do decide to bring your young child to Tibet please ensure that you bring all your child's daily needs with you.

7.What's the standard of food like in Tibet?

Tourism in Tibet is still in its infancy so therefore the quality of restaurants will not be as high as in other parts of China. There are no 5 star dining experiences. Of course Tibetan/Nepalese food is the main fare with yak and mutton being the most favored meats. Curries and stews are common. Chinese and western food are easily found and the standard is ok. The Chinese food is a more westernized variety. The eating house are usually clean even if they are basic in some areas.