Search

Tibet Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tibet Hotels

has anyone been to Tibet in the last few months? I am considering going there this summer and wonder about hotels. The Hotel Lhasa got a very poor rating from Frommer's. Are there any other 4 and 5 star hotels in Lhasa?
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM

I have friends who stayed at the Shangbala Hotel and thought it was OK. We stayed at the Tibet Hotel, in their newer building and it was also fine. One shouldn't have extremely high expectations when going there, but it was clean and we had everything we needed.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM

There is a new Four Points by Sheraton. I have not been there but am planning on stayint there for a trip later this year.

Believe it or not St. Regis is also building a hotel in Lhasa!
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 08:04 AM

I was in Lhasa in OCT '07 and stayed at Kyichu Hotel. It is in the Tibetan area & would be described as quaint. It's best feature is a lovely garden retreat in the rear, off the restaurant. Clean hotel. Good restaurant. Staff was great. Front rooms are on a loud street (Beijing Rd).

I was originally booked at the Hotel Dhood Gu -nearby but in a quieter area a little closer to the Barkhor. Looked great! (Not sure what happened to the reservation.)

Try tripadvisor.com for pictures. I would recommend either of these options - especially if you'd like to be in walking distance of Barkhor Square & stay in a Tibetan (decorated) hotel.

Hope this is helpful,

Mary
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM

We were in Lhasa in Sept. 07 and stayed at the Du Ghood Hotel. I highly recommend it. It's smal Tibet-owned hotel located int he center of the old section.

There are some newer Chinese hotels in the city - especially in the Chinese section. You may gain some in comfort but will sacrifice proximity and character. Du Ghood has some of all. You can find its web site online and references at Tripadvisor.com
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM

I whole heartedly agree with the recommendation for the Dhood Gu Hotel. It is so much more interesting, fascinating, real than the typical hotel. It isn't 4 or 5 star but I really don't think that is what one would want in Lhasa. If you go to my report on our trip there, you will read some descriptions and photos. The link is to my whole China/Tibet report but along the top you will see the link to Tibet.
http://www.janeandken.com/China_Tibe...and_Words.html