things to do in singapore in one day

Old Jul 12th, 2013, 12:18 AM
vel
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
things to do in singapore in one day

Hi

I will be arriving at singapore at 9 am in the morning and my next flight is at around 9.30 pm in the night same day.Can you guys suggest some ideas/places to visit during my transit time.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 07:21 AM

Plenty to see and do in Singapore:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Singapore/

You can do everything on your own (excellent public transportation BTW) or take a tour. I believe they offer such tours at the airport. I took one many years ago and remember the tour leader was a proud Singaporean lady, who explained that Singaporeans work so hard and that "baby production" (she used that term) was regrettably declining.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 07:35 AM

Some of my favorite places: the botanical gardens, the Museum of Asian Civilizations. Many people like the zoo or the Jurong Bird Park. Make sure you take time to sample some of the wonderful local foods. Decide what things interest you and take the MRT from the airport and around the city.

Remember that it will be very hot, so at mid-day you may want to spend sometime indoors with air-conditioning.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 08:03 PM
vel
Original Poster

Thanks all
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 09:42 PM

First of all, where will you be coming from? If coming from the US, you may be very tired after a long flight and the time change, so I would not plan do anything too complicated as people tend not to think straight when overly tired. So, while I agree that their public transportation is excellent, it may be overwhelming in certain circumstances. Taxis on the other hand are cheap and very easy to get around. Just get in a taxi anywhere and tell the driver where you want to go. Most drivers speak fine English and some are very personable.

I agree, the botanical gardens are beautiful, but will also be quite hot if you are not dressed appropriately.

If you would like to sample local foods - check out some of the hawker areas - some excellent ones are Maxwell Road (most famous for Tian Tian chicken rice) which is also close to Chinatown. Some taxi drivers are very helpful in finding good local food... One thing about Sg, everyone has an opinion about where toget the best local food....
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 01:11 PM

If you're coming in on Singapore Airlines, take their bus tour around the city. Visit the Botanic Gardens or the Marina Bay gardens.

Your energy will probably be flagging around mid-afternoon, so I suggest either relaxing with a pot of tea at the TWG company -- http://www.twgtea.com/ourLocations.php
OR a cool cocktail at Raffles -- but NOT at the Long Bar, go to the Writer's Bar instead. http://www.raffles.com/singapore/dining/writers-bar/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV6xe9wtJdA

FWIW, I didn't have a Singapore Sling, I had two vodka Collins and they were great.

Another place to relax with a cocktail is the [email protected] at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. You can kick back with a drink or light meal under the cabana and have a great view of the city skyline and river. Pina coladas highly recommended! http://www.mandarinoriental.com/singapore/fine-dining/
(scroll down to the bottom to see the photo of the [email protected]).

Note, neither of these hotel bars are cheap -- figure about 25 SGD per cocktail.

I agree about the taxis. If you want to really relax and you get a congenial driver (most of the drivers I had during my visit in March were friendly and very well informed about the city), ask him to give you a tour. Make sure he takes you through Tiong Bahru as well as the usual tourist highlights.

A sunset ride on the Singapore Flyer would be pleasant. http://www.singaporeflyer.com/visito...-for-visitors/

Keep in mind that afternoon showers/thunderstorms are pretty common, another reason you might want to be relaxing inside somewhere around 3 to 5 pm.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 11:53 PM
vel
Original Poster

I will be coning from Australia.What about marina bay? Is it good??
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 02:44 PM

Warm greetings vel, warm greetings to Fodor's, and advance congrats on spending some hours in our fine home of Singapore. (And time permitting, certain high elevation Marina Bay vantage points do afford memorable views of the city-state and sea; enjoy.)

A bit rushed this early Wednesday morning, but do wish to inform you and other fine Fodorites of a new exhibit at my beloved and primary home airport of Changi: The Enchanted Garden. Along with a few pre-flight meetings at Changi two days back, had the honour of experiencing this rather interactive garden, located within the Terminal 2 Departure Transit mall. Again, time permitting for you and others, well worth visiting.

Have fun planning, savour Singapore, and best to you and all,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 11:46 PM

Changi Airport is super efficient. If you step off the plane say at 9.15 am you would need about 15 to 20 minutes to clear immigration, collect baggage and customs and should be ready to be off to explore Singapore. Moreover you need to get back only about an hour before your flight if you're holding your next leg boarding pass and perhaps 90 minutes if you want to shower before your next flight. Fastest and cheapest way to town - I suggest you catch the MRT to City Hall come into Raffles City Complex and had a quick cup of coffee and croissant or sandwich so you can skip lunch! Explore the city - walk through the St Andrews Cathedral and make your way to the Asian Civilisation Museum - spend the late morning there. Then catch a cab to Marina Bay Sands and spend the 20 bucks to get to the top of Marina Bay for an great view of the city. Connected to that would be the Gardens by the Bay and spend a few hours in the 2 domes. Amazing, cool and have tea ( $$$ ) at Pollen. in the Flower Dome. That would bring you to almost late afternoon/early evening. Take the walk back to see the Bay and have a light dinner of local hawker food at the stall next to the Esplanade. Then make your way back to City Hall station and catch the train back to the airport. maybe a bit crowded but probably fastest way back. Arrive say about 8 pm and see where you can get a shower before your next flight out. Sounds like a plan.