The road to Bandhavgarh

Search

The road to Bandhavgarh

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The road to Bandhavgarh

We want to see tigers while in India and it appears that the best place is Bandhavgarh, which is a six hour drive from Khajuraho on a very bad road. We were counting on the six hour drive but today the agent wrote that the time has increased to nine! hours due to the rains causing further road deterioration. For those who have been to Bandhavgarh, do you think the terrible drive is "worth it" or should we just go to Ranthambore?
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM

We took the train from Agra to Umaria and drove the rest of the way, so it was only about an hour on bad roads. Is taking the train an option for you?

As far as if it's "worth it" that's a tough question to answer. For me it was well worth the 12 hour journey when I saw a tiger for the first time.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

loru100 did you take the overnight train from Agra? Was it OK? Thanks for responding.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Hi Loru,

would like to larn more about the train journe and times. How long is the train ride and how is the quality? Do they have a First Class?

How long is the total road journey from Umaria to Bhandavgargh? You said "only about an hour on bad roads", but is there also a stretch of good roads on this sector?
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 08:31 PM

Oops, I meant "would like to learn".... sorry for the typos.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Marija, have you asked Kavey on the Africa board I think she has been there and to Rathambore. She gave me some advice about the various options.

Miriam
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Sorry for the delay...I haven't checked back in a while.

The train was overnight but since we booked on short notice we could only get second class, which locals take but I would definitely book a first class sleeper. And by all means go with a guide. It is impossible for a first time visitor to know what train to take or where to get off.

We went in 2004 so my memory is a little foggy on the exact time it takes to get from Umaria to Bandhavgarh. I remember it was around 1 to 2 hours and the roads are what you'd expect in India...big potholes and lots of obstacles to avoid (cows, dogs, elephants, etc.) I would highly recommend going...it was a once in a lifetime trip.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM

Marija,

If you do wish to drive to Bandhavgarh ..... it should be okay if you get the transfers done in the Pajero SUV's. If you do fly thru New Delhi to connect to Khajuraho, bear in mind delays to flights in the winter due to "Fog". Expect several hours of delay .....

Ranthambore, i won't recommend ..... can't come even close to the experience you may encounter with CCAfrica. Ranthambore is poorly managed and is very forgettable in today's context.

Hari
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Hi Hari

Nice to catch you on the Asia side...I always seem to talk to you on the Africa board.

I was disappointed to here about Ranthambore as my husband and I were hoping to go there in the near future. Besides Bandhavgarh, what would you recommend as the best place to see tigers? What do you think of Corbett?

Lori

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Hi Loru100,

Good to hear from you ..... yes, i very seldom visit the Asia boards.

I have an on-going report on CCAfrica's new lodge in Pench national park on our Africa talk page. Besides Bandhavgarh, i would recommend Kanha for tigers. CCAfrica will soon be opening lodges in Kanha and Panna early next year. At the moment, they have started their operations in Bandhavgarh and Pench.

www.tajsafaris.com is their website for their lodges ......

Hari

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

CC Africa now says "late 2008" for the new lodges.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Marija,

I hope it's a typo on their website. When i was at Baghvan, they did mention sometime after the New Year. Training programs etc etc., were on going for the staff at the new camps.

Either case, Mahua Kothi .... you are better off driving from Jabalpur. Kajuraho is a bit further away.

Hari