Best way to Shimla from Delhi ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd love to add Shimla to our itinerary for 3 nights but getting there from Delhi looks difficult. anyone find an efficient method?
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 07:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've spent time in Shimla twice. Both times I took the train/toy train up, not difficult. One time I flew back to Delhi, extenuating circumstances, the other had a car & driver take me on elsewhere.

It appears no one is flying the route at the moment, just had a look, but the train to Shimla, especially the second leg from Kalka on the toy train, is what's called an iconic journey and worthwhile. You could take the train one way, have a car & driver one direction for variety, about 6 hours 1 way, although I'd be inclined to take the train both ways unless there's somewhere else you'd like to go. Travel agents and most accommodations can arrange a car.

http://www.seat61.com/India.htm
http://delhitoshimla.net/delhi-to-shimla-trains/
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mme Perdue. Have to check out that train. I was thinking of flying into Chatturgh (sp?) from Delhi then driving. But I've read conflicting reports of how long that would take.... Either 4 or 2 hours... Quite a discrepancy. You know I'm trying to do this on a tight travel schedule but thinking of dropping Jaipur for this, given that we'll visit jodhpurs and udaipur
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Taking the Toy Train, the one that climbs the mountains to Shimla from the plain, is a classic journey, almost as worthwhile as Shimla itself. It was built for the British to get everyone up the mountain when the government moved from Delhi to Shimla to escape the heat. You'll take an express to Kalka then cross to the waiting Toy Train. It's a spectacular ride and always mentioned on lists of the world's great train journeys. It would be a shame to miss it, one of the best parts of going.
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't realize that Kingfisher quit all its flights to Shimla and Kangra. That makes it tough! If you are planning to go up by train, have a plan be. The train often sells out or breaks down. I've gone to Shimla 3 times and the train was never available.

I believe the ride is about 3 hours each way when driving. If you have a tendency to carsickness or fear of cliffs, you might want to choose another city.
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 08:46 PM

Apparently Kingfisher has gone out of business.

I'm pretty sure the trip by car is longer. I think they should get ahold of an Indian travel agent who can buy the tickets for them. If they can't get them then other plans are in order. But I bet they can.
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 11:32 PM

Considering its 3 nights,its advisable to fly to Chandigarh from Delhi and take a taxi or a coach to Shimla.Depending on the type of bus companies it would normally take 3.5hrs in a Volvo coach or up to 6hrs in a shuttle,which has a lot more stops on the way.There are trains running betw these two places,very picturesque but you'll need time.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

perhaps we could fly one way and take the train the other way. I am planning to book with Castle & King so they could get tickets for me. I haven't contacted them yet until I'm sure of what I want to do (for now!) the Toy Train would be exciting….and I'd trust the drivers from Castle & King to navigate the mountain roads.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 11:00 AM

Having done the Delhi-Simla journey at least 12 times, I'd second the idea of taking the overnight train to kalka and then taking the narrow-gauge (toy-train). The break at Barog - halfway stop - is wonderful. Do check out the Trishool Bakery on the Mall.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 11:08 AM

You can also take an express to Kalka first thing in the morning and arrive in Shimla in the afternoon. No need to overnight on the train unless you want to.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

OK, now I've been reading negative things about the Toy train….a long 5-6 hour journey on a very crowded,clattering train with uncomfortable seats that smells like urine. disagree?
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 08:59 PM

They aren't particularly comfortable but I don't recall the urine. But most who make the trek are thrilling at the ride up the himalayan mountainside and not minding the hard seat. I've done it twice and remember only the views and the little station where we got off to stretch with the hanging baskets of flowers and the Lady Banks roses on the hillsides. If such a romantic ride doesn't impress you, you might want to consider somewhere easier to get to.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 11:55 PM

You have 3 options to reach shimla:

A. Hire a personal cab from New Delhi. It takes around 6-7 hours by personal car. Depending upon your budget you can choose either a small/sedan/SUV. Cost will vary from Rs. 9000/- to 18000/- depending upon the type of vehicle for the trip.

B. Book a ticket for you in a bus. There is a very good volvo service available. These buses operate in night and by morning reach shimla. One side cost of ticket would be around Rs 1500/- per person.

C. You can use train. From New Delhi catch a train to Kalka station and from there catch a Toy Train to reach Shimla.

Hope this will be of help to you.
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 07:36 AM

We took a very brief ride on the toy train to Darjeeling. While many people love it, we did not. Spending 5-6 hours on it would be torture for me.
Old Sep 12th, 2014, 02:20 AM

@ Kathie - as you rightly said many people enjoy toy train ride but was unfortunate that it didn't delivered as per your expectations. Darjeeling is a very beautiful hill station in the eastern past of India close to Kolkata. This toy train is a part of world heritage as well, so people go to Darjeeling not only to enjoy the hills but also this train ride.
There is a similar train which operates on Shimla-Kalka line but in look and feel and in overall experience its quite different.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your excellent suggestions. To simplify my trip, given the time constraints of 11 nights, I've decided to focus only on Rajasthan, concentrating on atmospheric, rural places to stay and trying to minimize drive time between stops.

Fly to Jodhpur from Mumbai (where we've disembarked from a cruise), stay 2 nights: then drive to Devi Garh (2 nts), drive to Udaipur (1 nt) drive to Shahpura Bagh (1 nt) drive to Jaipur (2 nts) drive to Agra (1 nt) drive to New Delhi (2 nts and a long day before evening flight to Japan.