Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

The lights and archictecture of Shanghai

Jun 15th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

My daughter and I went to Shanghai not too long ago and saw some beautiful sights there. I was especially intrigued by the lights of the city and the building architecture. I took some photos and posted them on my blog. Here is the link if you are interested in what you will see in the city when you visit.

http://blog.newsok.com/thewanderer/category/shanghai/
Jun 15th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Nice pictures! Thanks.
Jun 15th, 2010, 06:57 AM

Standing in front of the older buildings, behind the Bund, looking across the river at the Pearl and other buildings, is jaw-dropping.
Jun 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Great shots! And glad you enjoyed yout trip. What hotel did you stay at?
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

glad you all liked the photos. The lights and architecture of the city is very dramatic when all the photos are grouped together.

Shanghainese-we stayed at the Ramada Plaza. It was a great location and provided a wonderful walking experience in the pedestrian area every day.

Yes, jaw-dropping is a good way to describe the view across the Bund. That certainly sums up the magnitude of the view. Truly one of the great city views in the world.
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM

I enjoyed you photos too - what stunning buildings! We'll be there in about a month, and have a river view room at the Seagull on the Bund - I'll be torn where to look, won't I? Out my window at that magic Pudong panorama, or leave it to go walking up Nanjing- can hardly wait. That and Expo as well!!!
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

I am jealous of the river view! One place that might seem a little odd to recommend is to go visit the City Planning Commission building. In that building they have laid out the expansion plan for many cities in China. We never would have gone there except for a strong recommendation from an American who we met in one of the markets. She had been living in Shanghai for several years and convinced us to go. glad we did.
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the tip - will try to fit it in. I was aware of it, but there is just so much to squeeze into a few days. Since we planned this trip ( just because of a cheap Air China flight to Europe), I've learned so much about China, and have enjoyed the biographies of Rob Gifford, Peter Hessler and Jan Wong's "Beijing Confidential" especially. From Australia, it's not so far to go back another time.
Jun 17th, 2010, 03:16 AM

Great pics! There is a fantastic view of both the Bund and Pudong from the 30th floor Vue bar at the Hyatt on the Bund. They have a good restaurant in the hotel, too, but it has no view.

http://www.shanghai.bund.hyatt.com/h...tels/index.jsp
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:09 PM

Nice photos, nonstop! I too really enjoyed the Shanghai architecture. In fact, the photo I took of the Pudong skyline from across the river at night made lugging my tripod all around China for three weeks almost worthwhile