Notices

Weekend in Turrialba, Shillmac's Photos

Old May 7th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend in Turrialba, Shillmac's Photos

My daughter in Florida met me in Costa Rica for a long weekend near Turrialba at Rancho Naturalista. No need in dragging this out, you know how long winded I get.

That said, we had a marvelous time. The days were beautiful, cloudy, sunny. It's so darned peaceful up there that, after the frantic pace in the U.S., one could almost slip into a coma.

Got some new birds on my list, listened to the rain at night, met some fascinating people (we always do there), ate amazing food (have the extra poundage to show for it), downed a few Imperials (and brought some home!), had a meeting with an architect and an engineer on building site, visiting our friends (where I do my homestays) in San Joaquin before departure.

This time we went upstairs upon arrival to the ATM's for cash and purchased our exit tax. No lines whatsoever (not in customs either). We arrived just before noon. The day we left, we checked in 4 hours early, no lines, got our boarding passes, then left the airport to visit our friends in San Joaquin. Returned to the airport about an hour before the flight, no lines. I liked doing it that way. We hired an airport taxi to take us to San Joaquin and arranged for him to pick us up in one hour. It worked like a charm.

Photo link:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ViewSlid....1241697499952
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:24 AM

Enjoyed seeing your photos, shillmac - thanks for sharing.
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Beautiful photos. Love that view you have! I would love to have a coffee and look out on that. Gorgeous
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Great pictures. I especially like the hummingbird ones! And what an amazing view you will have! You sure have a lot to look forward to!
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:47 AM

Beautiful pictures, shillmac - I'd love to have an Imperial and enjoy that view. Congratulations on getting started on your place!
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Get ready for a ride---you are going to have so much fun (and frustration) building in Costa Rica. Keep posting the pictures so we can all see the progress. (How high up is your property?)
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM

It's just under 3000 ft.

Thanks, everyone. You're all invited to enjoy that coffee or Imperial--if we ever get where we think we're going!
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Is there an outdoor shower in your future? I think it might have an even better view than Sol!
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Great photos of the hummingbirds at Rancho Naturalista - now I want to go there even more.

Love your property views and hope you have many years there to enjoy it!
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Thanks colibri. Yeah, well, that's the thing--just hoping to have a few years to enjoy! My daughter says, "Don't worry mom, that's silly. You and Dad have lots of years!" She's young, and she doesn't want to consider the alternative. Once you're mid-fifties, you realize that ANYTHING could be around the next corner, and you hope and pray for the best!

vgirl--hmmm. Maybe so! If not, I could just take a basin and washcloth out on the deck! That would keep any intruders away for sure! My fear is that once we are esconced there, DH won't want to travel CR anymore! LOL
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Looking at those photos makes me say, "Aaahhhh." You have a gorgeous spot. And those orchids! How stunning. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Finally, .. a place for me in the future to crash out.!!
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM

shillmac: lovely photos as usual. Thank you for sharing. I'm sure you've been asked this before but when can we expect a Costa Rica coffee table book from you?
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Jill, great great photos! What beautiful ladies you both are. The scenery and bird/insect pictures are stunning. Did you take them with "our camera"??

Plus how lucky to have your very own piece of paradise! The spot looks fantastic. Well 2 weeks from tomorrow we will be in CR, swilling a few Imperials and Pilsen's.

I loved all of the pictures, loved the Cinco de Maya dress, I have a few of those myself! hahaha
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Wow, Shillmac, congrats on your CR retirement home! Looks like it will be lovely. Some great bird pictures too - that rose throated ant tanager is cool!
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Janienicole. . .how about you come be our neighbor?

Percy--sure; just don't bring Putin. By the way, how's the hand/wrist doing?

eressea, uh, you're sweet! I can put one together for you. Some of the photos would be okay, but the presentation might be lacking!

Toni, yes that's "our camera". A dandy--perfect camera "for dummies". Oops, perhaps I should speak for myself!
I know you're getting excited! Are you packed or are you a last minute packer like me?

Thanks, glover. It was early in the a.m. and the camera doesn't do as well in low light, but it wasn't bad. There was a rufous motmot within 8 feet of us, wide open, but he didn't hang around long enough for me to get the camera in position.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Hi shillmac

How is the hand....not great grrr !!!

Don't want to complain but it is a sloooow healing process since the surgery.

I cannot even help you built it ...but I can carry nails and a hammer
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:45 PM

Wow! You have some absolutely stunning photos! I could really use some tips, plus I've been holding back on buying that same camera. You're lucky to have a short trip to CR -- better than none at all!

Percy -- So sorry to hear how long the healing process is becoming for you. Sending healing thoughts...
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:31 AM

No Jill, Not packed, got my list out though!

Yeah, the camera is a great one for dummies!

Your bird fotos are great, hope to get a few new birds to add to my list.

I loved the last one of you looking out over the horizon. Very nice picture!
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Splurge for the camera, hip! It's just super; SO lightweight--that's an attractive feature. Very user friendly (obviously)

Percy, sorry it is taking so long. I know you are getting impatient. Wishing you a SPEEDIER recovery!

Haven't heard from Tully lately, hip. Thinking I'll call her today. . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO