Thailand with teenager

Search

Thailand with teenager

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand with teenager

I am traveling to Thailand for 10 days with my 17 year old son. He loves bodysurfing and adventure. Where would you suggest going for the best in elephant riding and any other fun, interesting activities? thanks so much.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Phuket would probably be your best bet, there are numerous things to see and do that would interest your son.
Keep an eye on your 17yo son because the Thai gals love to get their hands on a fit young guy, they have so many men with bald heads and beer bellies, so they go gaga when a young one hits the scene.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:32 AM

It depends on when you are traveling to Thailand. Depending on the time of the year, Phuket would be an option or Koh Samui. Those two locatons have rainy seasons at different times.

WHile there are locations where you can do elephant riding in Phuket, the best places for spending time with elephants is north, outside of Chaing Mai.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM

he needs to visit the nana area in bangkok by himself---just kidding...haha

samui also has some elephants...so does koh chang...

i have not seen a great deal of body surfing in thailand, but jamesA will probably have good ideas for you if he reads this...???

the north end of phuket near the marriott had huge surf when we were there....some almost too strong for most peeople...make sure there are others around when surfing for safety---your son won't like you suggesting that...he will also love some of the pools at the hotels...no surfing but nice water and GIRLS....
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Time of year is important, Phuket is great weatherwise from November onards. Lots of soft adventure tours, you can relax on the beach or pool or head for the spa.
Tell us when you are going and idea of budget.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

We will be going in mid-october. We usually travel with a pretty basic budget - nothing fancy, but will be happy to pay for extras that would be fun for him. Thanks so much for your help - you guys are great. (and let me guess what the nana area is ...)
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Ok, now that's important, that unfortunately is at the tail end of the Monsoon season on Phuket and that time it is still quite dangerous in the water, you get undercurrents which mean the red Flags are flying and no swimming.
Samui would be better weather at that time, neither are surf places and in particular Phuket area at that time.
Normaly I might say risk the weather, depends if you can be sure your son will stick to the hotel pool (?), if adventure stuff and snorkeling and that sort then Samui would have the edge when thinking weather, though October is when the seasons turn, very early October I would go for Samui, very late october I would chance it and do Phuket, mid october i would toss a coin !

The big plus is that rates shoot up November 1st, on Phuket I know nice comfy 2-3 star places with pools short walk to the beach in the USD 40-50 range, you can get cheaper. When we travel around here our budget is about USD 40-40 and I can tell you we never 'rough it at all'.
One of our favorite budget, I shouls day 'value for money' places is the Old Phuket at Karon on Phuket ( twin USD 32, Spa deluze USD 42, a 2 bedroom family suite including breakfast just USD 68, I don't know if that's over your budget but it is great value so you have 2 rooms, that is what we go for with the kids and it's great value, it's not old, short walk to the beach road and a wide beach. Karon is a quieter area, further south a few kms is kata beach, quieter still, lots of places to stay.
If you want busier Patong, that has nightlife, shopping, busy and lively beach, places like Dunagjitt or Coconut Village ( USD 32-42 including tax, service, breakfast, also great promo until end Oct, stay 4 nights but pay 3, so if you stayed 8 nights you only pay 6 nights !! )
That is at the quieter south end of Patong. Quiet enough to relax but plenty of shopping, restaurants and busy beaclife, beach volley ball, soccer, and if the weather is fine para-gliding etc, so that should keep your son happy, you can beach or pool, go to Hideaway for a spa or whatever.

( I lived many years on Phuket and know these places, we also drive down there every few months )

This is Coconut, remember, busy resort area but it will have the activities, just watch the water safety aspect, but lots of adventure tours and day trips around Phuket, Phi Phi island, sea kayak, mud in the jungle etc.
Buy a $50k bungalow in Goa, write a book about the "long legged spotted
Coconut Village:
http://www.r24.org/beachsiam.com/phu...llage/details/

Old Phuket at Karon, much quieter though some restaurants and bars etc, I could give you lots of others but decide first what sort of beach you want and we can go on from there, but Coconut gives you a good ballpark ideas of what you get for 30-40 bucks a night!

If you plan ahead fares from bangkok to Phuket are very competative, there are 3 budget airlines Bangkok to Phuket plus 2 regulars, book ahead and flights on budget carriers are very cheap, perhaps USD 25-30 per sector, takes just over 1 hour.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:11 AM

Sorry - Ignore the
"Buy a $50k bungalow in Goa, write a book about the "long legged spotted ",
That was for casey on another thread,I was pasting and the screen went crazy, don't know if anyone else is getting this weird stuff on Fodors at the moment !
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:18 AM

This gives some ideas of tours around Phuket area:

http://www.phuketjettour.com/tour/phuket.htm
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:29 AM

if you decide on samui take a look at the peace resort...very nice and reasonable, but no surf on their beach..
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:02 PM

one interesting idea in bkk might be to visit the new aquarium in the paragon center...