Thailand, where do you suggest ?

Oct 31st, 2002, 12:56 AM
Kath

Thailand, where do you suggest ?

We are a family of 5 and are seeking a family friendly beach area in Thailand. We want to avoid very crowded and busy places. I am also interested in the spa hotels so somewhere that has beach and also good spa hotels would be interesting. Somewhere that is pleasant and relaxing would be ideal but still with things for us to do.

Oct 31st, 2002, 01:41 AM
jj

Kath, what month do you intend to go? This is quite important to know to avoid rainy season which is different depending the area you choose. Rainy season doesn't mean it will rain all day long, but still. And then, it's very humid as well.

I like Phuket best, but would avoid staying around Patong which is usually very crowded (party place) and not what I would suggest to a family. And then, most hotels there don't have direct access to the beach which BTW is public.

I'd probably choose Kata or Karon beach. North of Patong is Bang Tao beach which is rather quiet and remote, but has some nice resorts.

Oct 31st, 2002, 04:31 AM
Dan

Kath.
You may benefit from the impressions of our family (6). We went in Feb. of this year and had a ball. Email me at the above address if you like...

Oct 31st, 2002, 05:00 AM
Craig

The new Evason about 1/2 hour outside of Hua Hin might fit the bill. Their website is www.six-senses.com/evason-huahin. Although I have not stayed there, it has been recommended elsewhere on this site (we have reservations for a pool villa next June). Hua Hin is known to be a "family-friendly" resort area. Because the Evason is out of town, you will avoid the crowds. They have a shuttle into town and there are activities such as hiking nearby. Lastly, they have a beach and a spa.

Oct 31st, 2002, 06:00 AM
Kathie

I'd also recommend Hua Hin. The Anantara is lovely (especially the lagoon rooms) and the spa is wonderful.
There are lots of places that would meet your needs in Hua Hin. I booked through www.asia-hotels.com
The websire will give you plenty of ideas of places to stay.

Oct 31st, 2002, 08:45 AM
Mathieu

We did not enjoy Phuket or Koh Samui at all as they were very commercial, no Thai culture, just simpel beach resorts like you could find anywhere. Krabi was nicer but not so much to do. Hua Hin is nice but don't expect too much nightlife, although there is some, but with kids I would say it is a good choice. We stayed budget everywhere so I cannot help you with spas but most of the hotels there are right on the beach itself.

Oct 31st, 2002, 12:39 PM
Chai

I would suggest Hua Hin or Cha Am for a family resort. The Methavalai at Cha Am is very cheap but is a good 3 star hotel with pleasant facilities, just over $40 high season for a double room including breakfast. Website:http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/huahin/methavalai/details/

Nov 1st, 2002, 01:41 AM
Kath

Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that we have already been to Phuket and want to go somewhere less crowded.

Thanks everyone

Nov 1st, 2002, 06:47 AM
Margo

I tend to lean towards Hua Hin or Cha Am if you want beaches but want to see something of Thai culture and life. They are much more peacefull than the normal resort type place. Mainly Thais and Asians visit there. Tout free too which is a bonus. Gets heavily booked up though during peak season.

Nov 3rd, 2002, 02:04 AM
Louis

Come to Phuket, for up to date information see

http://www.phuketgazette.net

All the fun at the start of the season

Nov 15th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Nina

Dear Kath,

I know great spot on Koh Samui. It is Coral Bay Resort. This is a great spot for families, because you can have your own family bungalow, this resort has private beach and is really excellent velue for money. You can feel there really comfortable. This is the Noth part of Chewang Beach. This is really quite place but if you wish to have fun you can go to the central Chewang Beach which is just 15 minutes walking or you can take a taxi. If you would like to see this go to http://www.bt-store.com/default.asp?...AY&PriceType=1