Thailand Trip Notes-Second Hand

Oct 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thailand Trip Notes-Second Hand

My computer geek brother just got back from Thailand, BKK, Isaan and Ko Samet. Here's an IM exchange I had with him. There's no chance he would post a trip report on his own:

For a complete message history, go to the Contact menu, select Contact Option menu item and click "Message Archive" (Alt+Shift+M).

gpanda52 (2:59:24 PM): in?

timtiptoes (2:59:46 PM): yes!

timtiptoes (3:00:25 PM): is there continuous chaos there, or what?

gpanda52 (3:00:29 PM): Ok. Ready to tell me about T-land?

timtiptoes (3:00:43 PM): sure, but tell me about the rioting in the street

timtiptoes (3:01:29 PM): I just read that Kerry quoted someone a year ago saying that he'll get elected when the Bo-tox win the series

gpanda52 (3:02:44 PM): None after the World Series, but after the Sox beat the Yankees, there were a lot of people in the streets and the police used guns loaded with pepper balls to control the crowds. A young woman was struck in the eye and killed by a projectile. An investigation has been started, but it appears that the police that used the guns had not been sufficiently trained.

gpanda52 (3:03:41 PM): The actual quote was not kerry's, but a Bush supporter that was saying it was impossible for K to win until the Sox win the WS.

gpanda52 (3:04:10 PM): For T-land, tell me the 5 things that you liked most.

timtiptoes (3:12:21 PM): that's awful. I said that Kerry was quoting that person. Top five things: Food, people, shopping, ease of getting around, sights.

gpanda52 (3:16:02 PM): More detail.

timtiptoes (3:17:11 PM): Food=freaky things on the streets, tho I didn't get to try fried grasshoppers

timtiptoes (3:17:54 PM): people=mi pin rei taken to level of not charging overtime, surcharges, always willing to help, not burned out on tourists

timtiptoes (3:18:13 PM): shopping=tons of markets.

timtiptoes (3:18:35 PM): ease of getting around=fly or train or bus or take taxi at last moment for cheap

timtiptoes (3:19:05 PM): sights=lots of buddha's. It was like churches in Europe.

timtiptoes (3:19:49 PM): have you been to the night market by Lumphini park?

timtiptoes (3:21:33 PM): there's so much we didn't get to do: next time

gpanda52 (3:25:21 PM): Do you think you will go back?

timtiptoes (3:29:35 PM): probably. However it will not be the next place we go.

gpanda52 (3:30:32 PM): Any anecdotes?

timtiptoes (3:31:28 PM): It was definitely nice to get off the ferry from Koh Samet, have a taxi drive us to the Holiday Inn for $50 and then check in to the executive club. I had no strong motivation to leave that room ever

gpanda52 (3:32:31 PM): Beth and I keep going to Thailand because we have found that it is a unique combination of fascinating and relaxing.

gpanda52 (3:32:46 PM): Tell me specifics of your time in Isaan.

timtiptoes (3:34:36 PM): sure. Jen and I were hungry and in the big vegetable market near memorial bridge. We looked for a place to eat but couldn't find one. Jen noticed that the stall tenders were eating something so I looked for someone bringing or taking back food. I saw a woman picking up bowls from the tenders and we followed her back through the maze of shortcuts she took and found her homebase in the middle of the market. We asked if we could eat there and she brought out two little stools and she had the greatest laugh serving us, particularly with my histrionics of indicating the food we wanted.

gpanda52 (3:36:13 PM): Another great thing about T-land is their universal good sense of humor. Also, their appreciation of farangs that go out of their way to do something out-of-the-ordinary.

timtiptoes (3:39:19 PM): We flew into Udon Thani, took a shuttle to Nong Khai, stayed at a place on the river for 600 BHT that we had reserved. Had a nice dinner there looking out over the MaeKong. Turns out most people are Ethnic Laotians. Next day we walked around and found a better place right up the street for 400 BHT since being on the river was not as important. I rented a scooter for 400 BHT/day and we found the TAT office and got some information. We tooted around Nong Khai and saw a couple of wats. At the first a monk was blessing a new motorbike by finger painting on it and splattering with water. The second was made by a guy who believed in the unity of all religions and made a statue garden of 70foot high statues of concrete by people who weren't classically trained.

You currently appear invisible to timtiptoes.

timtiptoes (3:42:57 PM): Then we went back and Jen had called a tourguide that TAT recommeded to take us to nearby sights. We met 'Eddie' the next morning and I have to say that it generally wasn't worth it, mostly because his English wasn't as good as we thought. We saw lots of wats though, one of which had yet to be consecrated throught the burial of a ball in the center of the temple, and another that was being unearthed and thought to be from the early centuries AD. It's neat to think that buddhists don't mine ancient buddhist temples, unlike the Christians mining roman structures all over Europe.

timtiptoes (3:43:57 PM): It was great to be in a place not to use colonizers and conquerers, sort of like how our cats have no concept of trauma. speaking of which , how's mango and maya getting along

timtiptoes (3:45:31 PM): The next day we took a tuk-tuk to the trainstation and bought an overnight ticket to Bangkok for that night. We went back and went to the Indochina market in NongKhai. Oh I forgot to mention the dinner cruise we took on the MaeKong, which was not really anything special. It turns out that this weekend is a MASSIVE fireball festival just where we were.

timtiptoes (3:48:40 PM): another anecdote: We were looking for a place to have breakfast in NongKhai, and sat down at a restaurant with lots of tables outside. A grandmotherly looking woman came out and did the classic thing of saying things slowly and repeatedly. We eventually said yes to one of the things she offered and it was a nummy pork fried rice. They had the four-year old come by and do the hand-clasping Sawadee ka as she gave us our bill. She took our money and they showed her how to pocket the 10Baht tip we left. ultra-cute. We learned how to say 'Alloy' which means 'delicious' Needless to say we went back the next two days.

timtiptoes (3:49:02 PM): it's also neat to bite into a food and have no schema in place by which to classify it or judge it.

timtiptoes (3:50:17 PM): There was a goopy paste filled cereal pyramidal thing wrapped in a banana leaf that we bought on the street as well as several fruits like that.

gpanda52 (3:50:22 PM): The cats are getting along fine. Any BKK anecdotes?

gpanda52 (3:53:39 PM): Do you mind if I post this exchange on Fodrs?

timtiptoes (3:53:53 PM): the vegetable market was there. We had to ask about 12 people how to get to the Joe Louis theater. On many occasions there were honest-to-goodness tourist information representatives at train stations, airports, and theaters. , but I never believed them no matter how official looking the badge. A bad habit. Anyways, I strongly recommend the Joe Louis Puppet theater. very cool. It abuts the night bazaar so it's easy.

timtiptoes (3:54:25 PM): no don't mind. At least you asked. Dad would have sent it to everyone, or printed it out and then sent them. Speaking of which, I have to go deposit money on his behalf.

timtiptoes (3:54:33 PM): I'm waiting for the jet lag to hit.

timtiptoes (3:54:37 PM): ttfn.

gpanda52 (2:59:24 PM): in?

timtiptoes (2:59:46 PM): yes!

timtiptoes (3:00:25 PM): is there continuous chaos there, or what?

gpanda52 (3:00:29 PM): Ok. Ready to tell me about T-land?

timtiptoes (3:00:43 PM): sure, but tell me about the rioting in the street

timtiptoes (3:01:29 PM): I just read that Kerry quoted someone a year ago saying that he'll get elected when the Bo-tox win the series

gpanda52 (3:02:44 PM): None after the World Series, but after the Sox beat the Yankees, there were a lot of people in the streets and the police used guns loaded with pepper balls to control the crowds. A young woman was struck in the eye and killed by a projectile. An investigation has been started, but it appears that the police that used the guns had not been sufficiently trained.

gpanda52 (3:03:41 PM): The actual quote was not kerry's, but a Bush supporter that was saying it was impossible for K to win until the Sox win the WS.

gpanda52 (3:04:10 PM): For T-land, tell me the 5 things that you liked most.

timtiptoes (3:12:21 PM): that's awful. I said that Kerry was quoting that person. Top five things: Food, people, shopping, ease of getting around, sights.

gpanda52 (3:16:02 PM): More detail.

timtiptoes (3:17:11 PM): Food=freaky things on the streets, tho I didn't get to try fried grasshoppers

timtiptoes (3:17:54 PM): people=mi pin rei taken to level of not charging overtime, surcharges, always willing to help, not burned out on tourists

timtiptoes (3:18:13 PM): shopping=tons of markets.

timtiptoes (3:18:35 PM): ease of getting around=fly or train or bus or take taxi at last moment for cheap

timtiptoes (3:19:05 PM): sights=lots of buddha's. It was like churches in Europe.

timtiptoes (3:19:49 PM): have you been to the night market by Lumphini park?

timtiptoes (3:21:33 PM): there's so much we didn't get to do: next time

gpanda52 (3:25:21 PM): Do you think you will go back?

timtiptoes (3:29:35 PM): probably. However it will not be the next place we go.

gpanda52 (3:30:32 PM): Any anecdotes?

timtiptoes (3:31:28 PM): It was definitely nice to get off the ferry from Koh Samet, have a taxi drive us to the Holiday Inn for $50 and then check in to the executive club. I had no strong motivation to leave that room ever

gpanda52 (3:32:31 PM): Beth and I keep going to Thailand because we have found that it is a unique combination of fascinating and relaxing.

gpanda52 (3:32:46 PM): Tell me specifics of your time in Isaan.

timtiptoes (3:34:36 PM): sure. Jen and I were hungry and in the big vegetable market near memorial bridge. We looked for a place to eat but couldn't find one. Jen noticed that the stall tenders were eating something so I looked for someone bringing or taking back food. I saw a woman picking up bowls from the tenders and we followed her back through the maze of shortcuts she took and found her homebase in the middle of the market. We asked if we could eat there and she brought out two little stools and she had the greatest laugh serving us, particularly with my histrionics of indicating the food we wanted.

gpanda52 (3:36:13 PM): Another great thing about T-land is their universal good sense of humor. Also, their appreciation of farangs that go out of their way to do something out-of-the-ordinary.

timtiptoes (3:39:19 PM): We flew into Udon Thani, took a shuttle to Nong Khai, stayed at a place on the river for 600 BHT that we had reserved. Had a nice dinner there looking out over the MaeKong. Turns out most people are Ethnic Laotians. Next day we walked around and found a better place right up the street for 400 BHT since being on the river was not as important. I rented a scooter for 400 BHT/day and we found the TAT office and got some information. We tooted around Nong Khai and saw a couple of wats. At the first a monk was blessing a new motorbike by finger painting on it and splattering with water. The second was made by a guy who believed in the unity of all religions and made a statue garden of 70foot high statues of concrete by people who weren't classically trained.

You currently appear invisible to timtiptoes.

timtiptoes (3:42:57 PM): Then we went back and Jen had called a tourguide that TAT recommeded to take us to nearby sights. We met 'Eddie' the next morning and I have to say that it generally wasn't worth it, mostly because his English wasn't as good as we thought. We saw lots of wats though, one of which had yet to be consecrated throught the burial of a ball in the center of the temple, and another that was being unearthed and thought to be from the early centuries AD. It's neat to think that buddhists don't mine ancient buddhist temples, unlike the Christians mining roman structures all over Europe.

timtiptoes (3:43:57 PM): It was great to be in a place not to use colonizers and conquerers, sort of like how our cats have no concept of trauma. speaking of which , how's mango and maya getting along

timtiptoes (3:45:31 PM): The next day we took a tuk-tuk to the trainstation and bought an overnight ticket to Bangkok for that night. We went back and went to the Indochina market in NongKhai. Oh I forgot to mention the dinner cruise we took on the MaeKong, which was not really anything special. It turns out that this weekend is a MASSIVE fireball festival just where we were.

timtiptoes (3:48:40 PM): another anecdote: We were looking for a place to have breakfast in NongKhai, and sat down at a restaurant with lots of tables outside. A grandmotherly looking woman came out and did the classic thing of saying things slowly and repeatedly. We eventually said yes to one of the things she offered and it was a nummy pork fried rice. They had the four-year old come by and do the hand-clasping Sawadee ka as she gave us our bill. She took our money and they showed her how to pocket the 10Baht tip we left. ultra-cute. We learned how to say 'Alloy' which means 'delicious' Needless to say we went back the next two days.

timtiptoes (3:49:02 PM): it's also neat to bite into a food and have no schema in place by which to classify it or judge it.

timtiptoes (3:50:17 PM): There was a goopy paste filled cereal pyramidal thing wrapped in a banana leaf that we bought on the street as well as several fruits like that.

gpanda52 (3:50:22 PM): The cats are getting along fine. Any BKK anecdotes?

gpanda52 (3:53:39 PM): Do you mind if I post this exchange on Fodrs?

timtiptoes (3:53:53 PM): the vegetable market was there. We had to ask about 12 people how to get to the Joe Louis theater. On many occasions there were honest-to-goodness tourist information representatives at train stations, airports, and theaters. , but I never believed them no matter how official looking the badge. A bad habit. Anyways, I strongly recommend the Joe Louis Puppet theater. very cool. It abuts the night bazaar so it's easy.

timtiptoes (3:54:25 PM): no don't mind. At least you asked. Dad would have sent it to everyone, or printed it out and then sent them. Speaking of which, I have to go deposit money on his behalf.

timtiptoes (3:54:33 PM): I'm waiting for the jet lag to hit.

Oct 28th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

A little more from my brother:

The AC train was very cold.

timtiptoes (3:55:40 PM): and they only give you a thin blanket

timtiptoes (3:56:50 PM): Koh Samet was fun in that Thai's go there. It was cool to see them sitting around a table singing with one person playing the guitar. Also they party on the beach and we would too I think if we weren't so hung up on open containers

Oct 28th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about the repetition. I must have hit "Control-V" twice by mistake. The problems of plagerism.
Oct 29th, 2004, 07:42 PM
CFW

Sounds like they had fun and some "real people" experiences! Refreshing after the endless debate on another string about $300+ per night hotels and other excesses.
Oct 30th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

They did have fun. As an aside, the ver-diligent Bob (Rhkkmk) commented "privately" on the 10 Baht tip. I suspect he thought it was overly generous.